TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do the Tivo account settings actually do? From what I can see there are two device settings, video sharing and enable video downloads. And two privacy settings, privacy status and limit ad tracking. How would changing them affect what I can do with the Tivos and my privacy?

1. Video sharing. I have this checked enable on all my Tivos. Think I need to to be able to transfer/stream between the Tivos.

2. Enable video downloads. I have this enabled on all my Tivos. If I "unenabled" it what would I be unable to do?

3. Privacy status. It is set to "default". The other choice is "opt out". What would I lose/gain by checklng "opt out"?

4.Limit ad tracking. It is set to "no". What would I lose by changing it to "yes" (i'm thinking I should). Wonder if this setting would affect those pre-roll ads?

Privacy is very important to me. By using Tivo I know they track a lot and sell viewing info. But I'd like to limit that as much as possible.

Just FYI, Win 10, have you looked at the "privacy settings", there are a LOT. Default is on for most everything, and by on I mean it sends everything to Microsoft. I've turned most of it "off". Also Microsoft encourages you to be logged into your Microsoft account all the time while using Win 10. So not only are you sending a lot to Microsoft based on your privacy settings if you are logged in and your Microsoft account has your real personal info they will pretty much know everything you are doing on your computer. And be able to share/sell your actual personal info too. I won't even get into cell phones, apps, facebook twitter etc etc...................

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
What do the Tivo account settings actually do? From what I can see there are two device settings, video sharing and enable video downloads. And two privacy settings, privacy status and limit ad tracking. How would changing them affect what I can do with the Tivos and my privacy?
1. Video sharing. I have this checked enable on all my Tivos. Think I need to to be able to transfer/stream between the Tivos.
2. Enable video downloads. I have this enabled on all my Tivos. If I "unenabled" it what would I be unable to do?
3. Privacy status. It is set to "default". The other choice is "opt out". What would I lose/gain by checklng "opt out"?
4.Limit ad tracking. It is set to "no". What would I lose by changing it to "yes" (i'm thinking I should). Wonder if this setting would affect those pre-roll ads?
1 needed for file transfers. If unchecked, your box becomes a Mini.
2 No longer used. Was from the old Amazon Download days.
3 Yes, it stops your box from sending TiVo your activity. However my status is Beta, so it may have changed definition.
4 no idea

On your box there is a network remote control setting. It still works, but you'll have to search for what it does. Mine is set to NO and I see no effects.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 needed for file transfers. If unchecked, your box becomes a Mini.
2 No longer used. Was from the old Amazon Download days.
3 Yes, it stops your box from sending TiVo your activity. However my status is Beta, so it may have changed definition.
4 no idea

On your box there is a network remote control setting. It still works, but you'll have to search for what it does. Mine is set to NO and I see no effects.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,425 Posts
It is used for network remote control, RPC in KMTTG, Remote control from the Tivo app.

Once I had it fail (think it was due to a software update) and KMTTG complained. I toggled Network Remote control off then on again, and rebooted. KMTTG was normal again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.