TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the World Cup would be shown in 4K on Verizon FiOS on channels 1498 and 1499. I'd like to record all the games in 4K... TiVO doesn't provide an option to record in 4K only and if I select HD, it uses the FOX HD channels. Also, would have gone with the channel option but I can only create a OnePass for 1 channel instead of 2. Anyone have any ideas how I can record all 4K games on both channels in 4K?

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts
Also, would have gone with the channel option but I can only create a OnePass for 1 channel instead of 2.
Oof. I just commented the other day that TiVo seemed to fall short in putting the finishing touches on their OnePass and mobile streaming capabilities, with the Roamio seemingly the peak of functionality -- except for the 4K exception. So it shouldn't have been surprising to me that even the 4K capability isn't fully baked.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I did manual recordings for the games i wanted before exploring the onepass route.

For onepass, i eneded up setting the channel to 1499, and manually checking 1498 forany games i had missed.

They either need a 4k option for video quality on the onepass, or the ability to specify multiple specific channels to restrict the onepass to.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I did manual recordings for the games i wanted before exploring the onepass route.

For onepass, i eneded up setting the channel to 1499, and manually checking 1498 forany games i had missed.

They either need a 4k option for video quality on the onepass, or the ability to specify multiple specific channels to restrict the onepass to.
1498 and1499 have guide data. Have you tried using a Wish List? You can set up key words and have them auto-record your shows. (Or will it not pickup the 4K channels at all?) 1494 and 1496 just say "to be announced" so manual recording is the only option.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,328 Posts
1498 and1499 have guide data. Have you tried using a Wish List? You can set up key words and have them auto-record your shows. (Or will it not pickup the 4K channels at all?) 1494 and 1496 just say "to be announced" so manual recording is the only option.
For the majority of the time there's nothing on any of the current 4K verizon channels, and the NBC content that's in the guide for the one channel isn't any good since nothing ever broadcasts there.
Not saying I miss it, or would give up a Roamio if I could get it, just a data point, my Apple TV does a fine job with 4K streaming.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Was using Onepass for sports, and setting it specifically to 1499 to avoid having it record the HD version of the game.

had not tried a wishlist, but just did.
Unlike onepass there is no way to limit to one channel with wishlist that i can see. Nor can i select the video type to UHD/4k. Which is the original problem mentioned by others in the thread. It would just go record off fox, fox deportes, fs1 etc.

since its a special events channel, i cant just go uncheck the HD version of the channel in the channel list in settings.

I dont see an easy button way of recording all games in 4k in spite of having good guide data.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts

The HD option has been so unreliable as to be useless for a long time. I seriously doubt they will do anything about your 4K issue.

At one time we could make multiple Season Passes for the same program on different channels, which would have made it possible to do what you need. That capability was lost when they re-did Season Passes to One Pass; when the issue was pointed out to TiVo (they had a presence here then) they refused to address the problem.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
had not tried a wishlist, but just did.
Unlike onepass there is no way to limit to one channel with wishlist that i can see. Nor can i select the video type to UHD/4k. Which is the original problem mentioned by others in the thread. It would just go record off fox, fox deportes, fs1 etc.
I do wish they would let you control which channel you want in both Season Passes and Wish Lists. I don't know why they took that option away. One other thing you could do with the Wish List is to set it to NOT auto-record. Then go through the list provided in the W.L. and select which times you want to record. It would be time consuming, but it is an option. I've done this in the past for some things. Of course, for that matter, you could do that with the guide.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Was using Onepass for sports, and setting it specifically to 1499 to avoid having it record the HD version of the game.
I have another idea. If you go into the channel settings and uncheck all of the channels that you DON'T want, that would leave 1498 and 1499. You could at least do that temporarily.

·
TDL shepherd
17,846 Posts
I have another idea. If you go into the channel settings and uncheck all of the channels that you DON'T want, that would leave 1498 and 1499. You could at least do that temporarily.
It would be interesting to see what the system does with the OnePasses previously configured to explicitly record from the removed channels. (Do they still record the shows, or not?)

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
One other thing you could do with the Wish List is to set it to NOT auto-record. Then go through the list provided in the W.L. and select which times you want to record. It would be time consuming, but it is an option.
That is a good idea, i tried it last night.
i know i could have mentiond that, but i felt like if i took my post in too many directions at once it would get too long.
I dont understand why but the 4k channels didn't show at all in the wish list.

While i use TiVo for surprisingly little outside sports, for me, i decided the pain of selecting games one at a time to record on one channel (and the onepass grabs the other channel) would be ok.
rather than depriving myself of fox, fox deportes, and the one or two other channels the games are on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts