TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

Wighty
I'm on Comcast with a TiVO Edge using a Motorola M card. I parsed through all the CC sreens under the Settings menu and did not see any PKey text

Registered
I am glad I got off Spectrum Cable and my Roamio is for OTA stuff now, the image quality on DirecTV stream is so much better than it ever could be with either TiVo or Spectrum鈥檚 own Cable boxes and much lower price to boot with just a few channels that I miss

U.S. Army (ret.)
This raises the question... what do the cablecos offer to recreate this functionality? I have two Roamios, and four Minis, powering six TVs. I hate to think what I'd need to do to recreate this via Comcast.
With Comcast, you can use the Xfinity Stream (XS) app (on a streaming media device, smart TV, mobile device, or computer) to duplicate most DVR functions, to include watching live TV or recordings, schedule or delete a recording, et al. You do not necessarily need separate Xfinity client boxes for this purpose.

I have been using XS quite a bit lately to record/watch Golden State Warrior games on my sister's Comcast system in the Bay Area/CA from my home in Atlanta (I am an authorized user on her account since I set it up for her). I would equate the experience to using a Mini or other similar client box in terms of functionality if not ease of use.

Well-Known Raconteur
With Comcast, you can use the Xfinity Stream (XS) app (on a streaming media device, smart TV, mobile device, or computer) to duplicate most DVR functions, to include watching live TV or recordings, schedule or delete a recording, et al. You do not necessarily need separate Xfinity client boxes for this purpose.

I have been using XS quite a bit lately to record/watch Golden State Warrior games on my sister's Comcast system in the Bay Area/CA from my home in Atlanta (I am an authorized user on her account since I set it up for her). I would equate the experience to using a Mini or other similar client box in terms of functionality if not ease of use.
One is actually streaming when doing this? Or streaming from the base DVR? Does Trick Play work?

U.S. Army (ret.)
One is actually streaming when doing this? Or streaming from the base DVR? Does Trick Play work?
I believe the streaming can occur from the DVR or from cloud storage, but I have only been streaming from my sister's DVR.

Yes, trick play works, but as I intimated it is not as user-friendly as on a TiVo (nothing is, is it?). I have not experimented with live TV yet, but then I almost never watch live TV on my system either. I record everything, especially including sports events, so as to avoid commercial breaks or to fast-forward through a lull in the action.

Registered
If you have a Tivo with a Motorola / Arris cable cards do you have to worry?
I have a Motorola cable card too shown on my cable card status screen. I鈥檝e been through all of the pairing screens and haven鈥檛 found Powerkey anywhere.

Obviously I am affected because I鈥檝e been getting the letters and I currently can鈥檛 get half of my channels. Why isn鈥檛 Charter more forthcoming with truthful information? Unless they are TRYING to get rid of cable cards, tuning adapters, TiVos and all the headaches that go with them?

Registered
Motorola &/or Arris CC's have NOTHING to do with this topic & are not affected...
Are you saying this topic (high split / Charter trying to get rid of cable cards) has nothing to do with Charter customers who currently have Tivos that use Motorola cable cards and tuning adapters?
Forehead Nose Cheek Glasses Smile

Thanks for diagnosing my Tivo issues, that I haven鈥檛 detailed online, from wherever you are! I鈥檓 certain your knowledge of my equipment, knowledge, setup, Charter setup, tech rolls and phone support is much more in depth than all of us put together.

What do I know, I鈥檓 only missing half the channels I鈥檓 supposed to receive and the tech told me the reason why. I bet he doesn鈥檛 know anything either.

Registered
Could be because your provider has changed those channels to IPTV which the Tivo can not do.
The tech specifically said 鈥渉igh split.鈥 I don鈥檛 know what it means and don鈥檛 really care. I just know what they did broke my service and, as usual, they are dragging their feet trying NOT to come up with a solution so they won鈥檛 have to purchase new equipment that is really just throwing good money down the toilet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Are you saying this topic (high split / Charter trying to get rid of cable cards) has nothing to do with Charter customers who currently have Tivos that use Motorola cable cards and tuning adapters?
No, I'm saying it has nothing to do with the posted topic of this entire thread re: "Time Warp" I originally posted, which is at the top of this page...& (not surprisingly) has gone a tad off-course. It also affects any/all cable systems with these CC's, NOT just Charter & NOT just re: high-split.
There's umpteen other threads that have been posted all over TCF specifically re: Charter high-split, which I notice you have posted there as well; hopefully you get an answer that you can give another (witty) reply to. :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I believe the streaming can occur from the DVR or from cloud storage, but I have only been streaming from my sister's DVR.
Any streaming is ONLY from the cloud (copies), as there is no need (nor was there most likely an easy way) for a 3rd party streamer to connect directly to a XG1 physical DVR.
All XG1 physical DVR's have come with the cloud counterpart for several years now, so streaming works exactly the same, regardless if you even have any model physical DVR(s). Also remember that any/all IP-only channels, are ONLY recorded in the cloud, whether you have a XG1 physical DVR or not.

U.S. Army (ret.)
Any streaming is ONLY from the cloud (copies), as there is no need (nor was there most likely an easy way) for a 3rd party streamer to connect directly to a XG1 physical DVR.
All XG1 physical DVR's have come with the cloud counterpart for several years now, so streaming works exactly the same, regardless if you even have any model physical DVR(s). Also remember that any/all IP-only channels, are ONLY recorded in the cloud, whether you have a XG1 physical DVR or not.
I admit that I do not know how this works over Xfinity's system, but I have usually been accessing recordings labelled as coming from the DVR. None of them are from IP-only channels, so that is not the issue here.

Remember, this case is one where the remote user is logged in to the account owner's Xfinity account and streaming via the Xfinity Stream app. However the actual mechanism is structured, I imagine it works the same way for an on-site user utilizing XS via any client box, whether from Comcast or a third party.

Registered
Are you saying this topic (high split / Charter trying to get rid of cable cards) has nothing to do with Charter customers who currently have Tivos that use Motorola cable cards and tuning adapters? View attachment 77608
Thanks for diagnosing my Tivo issues, that I haven鈥檛 detailed online, from wherever you are! I鈥檓 certain your knowledge of my equipment, knowledge, setup, Charter setup, tech rolls and phone support is much more in depth than all of us put together.

What do I know, I鈥檓 only missing half the channels I鈥檓 supposed to receive and the tech told me the reason why. I bet he doesn鈥檛 know anything either.
In my history of TiVo bolt and CC w/ Spectrum/Charter and a TA when I had missing channels it was 100% signal related. There was an amplifier on the fritz a few houses down at a junction box that connects to the box in my yard that connects to my house. The engineer that came out to fix it last said weaker frequencies is what can cause some channels to be fine and other not 鈥榯uneable鈥 at all. There can be some attenuation in the signal on certain frequencies so the tuning adapter cannot lock and it鈥檚 cast as 鈥榤issing鈥 channels. Hope this information helps get all your channels restored.

jeffjs
Note this could affect ANY cable system that uses SA/Cisco PowerKEY CC's, which includes Tivo's:

It's like Y2K all over again. 馃槀

However, I think ALL cable cards will be terminated by then. All the cable providers are going to IPTV or OTT. I mean every single channel available today is available over broadband...even other countries...and has been for the past several years. Comcast has already had their Xfinity Stream product for over 2 years.

Today, major motion pictures aren't even on film anymore. They are transmitted to the movie theater company and theaters using 256-bit AES security and DRM over the internet, or on a hard drive that the theater puts on their server.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts