TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find a definitive answer on this forum, but does anyone have any information on the possibility of Time Warner (Los Angeles area) teaming up with TiVo? I don't want to go out and purchase a S3 when there might be something in the works.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
41,984 Posts
Nothing has been announced or even rumored.

However, also be aware that Time Warner currently uses "Switched Digital Video" (SDV) in many regions, and they've announced that they fully intend to expand it's use across all regions going forward. The problem with SDV is that it requires bi-directional communication, and currently no cable card devices (except the cable boxes that the cable company are being required to start to use) support bi-directional communication. This includes the Series 3 TiVo. Now, this only affects those cable channels currently using SDV, which isn't many at this time... but for those channels using SDV, you won't be able to get them.

You might want to browse over to the Series 3 forum... people often post reports about their experience using the S3 on various cable systems, so you might be able to read them to see what your experience might be like where you are.

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
As in having TW DVRs with TiVo software? Not this year.

TW mostly uses Scientific Atlanta, and that port of the TiVo software, if anything, is still in development, let alone ordered. I don't even see non Comcast Motorola providers getting the the Motorola TiVo software this year.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have Time Warner in San Diego, and have had no problems.

The one thing I've noticed is that when the cable system suffers an outage, the Tivo cable cards won't reconnect until Tivo is unplugged/replugged. Rebooting from the Tivo menu isn't sufficient.

·
Registered
515 Posts
c-surfer said:
I have Time Warner in San Diego, and have had no problems.

The one thing I've noticed is that when the cable system suffers an outage, the Tivo cable cards won't reconnect until Tivo is unplugged/replugged. Rebooting from the Tivo menu isn't sufficient.
I have TW in San Diego too and haven't experienced that problem at all. Is the TW office that you get your cable through located in Miramar on Ware Ct? Seems strange if we have the same service. I supposed it could be that I haven't experienced an outage either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.