TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I've got a Tivo Series 3 HD with a bad power supply which makes a "ticking" sound when plugged in. I replaced the capacitors listed in this guide:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=505873

After doing this, it still ticks and the Tivo doesn't power up. :mad:

Any thoughts on what other components I might be able to replace before I need to just replace the entire power supply?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Unitron. Caps look polarized correctly. Soldering isn't the cleanest, but no bridging that I can see.

Since it "ticked" before I replaced the caps and still "ticks" after replacing the caps, I'm thinking that there is a good chance that what I replaced wasn't what was broken.

Any other user-replaceable parts I can swap out or testing I can do with a multimeter?

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, Unitron.

I did check this and the power supply ticks whether it is connected tot he Tivo main board and drives or not. I tried this out before I hooked it up after replacing the caps and I just re-confirmed it right now.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's the easiest way to get a power supply for testing? I see some on eBay for $50 with free shipping. I suppose I could buy one and use it for testing to fine out what is broken and sell it later if I don't need it.

I'd be afraid of buying a broken Tivo not knowing if the PS is good or bad.

What do you recommend?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Let me know what you can find.

My thoughts are that if I can buy a used PS for $50 to test out my main board, I can probably resell it for $50 and only net the shipping and eBay fees, probable $12. If the main board is fine and everything works with the used PS, my options are to either keep the $50 PS with old caps, continue to try to fix mine with the replaced caps, or buy a refurb PS with new caps.

Not sure. Where do you think?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I received the PS I had already ordered, connected it to the chassis and power leads to the board and drives, crossed my fingers and... it worked.

So now I have a $60 power supply replacement that works and a broken one that I tried to fix with $16 worth of Digi-Key caps.

I'd still like to get the bad one working but I'm not sure it's worth the time at this point. What do you think Unitron?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.