TiVo Community Forum banner

Would you like to have seperate "official" and "live" threads?

• Yes, the live discussion in the official thread is annoying

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • No, I don't really care.

Votes: 80 76.2%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Domestic Extremist
27,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some input from people about this topic.

One of the rules in the TV Talk area is not to start a thread more than one hour before the show airs. This is to prevent people from having to wade through pages of speculation and conversation about last weeks show to get to the topic of the new show.

I, and others, have noticed that people are posting and watching during the show IN the official thread for that show. That means, that yes, people have to wade through pages and pages of nonsence comments to get to the discussion of the show.

The new 24 thread is a good example of that.

Here is what I mean (and I am making this up, this is not related to 24)

Post 1.
"Wow, look at that dress."
Post 2.
"When did Leah Ramini get fat?"
Post 3.
"What was that?"
Post 4.
"I think I saw a flash, but I'm not sure."

For people who watch the show later, and want to discuss the meat of the show, it's annoying to have to wade through all these comments to get to the point where the discussion begins.

So, we are thinking of requesting that we have an "official" thread, the way we've always done it, and a "Watch Live" thread.

There will be no rule made yet, and maybe never. I would like to get the input of the users first.

So, what do you think?

·
Not Entirely Current
39,836 Posts
Yeah, I agree. If people want to get to the meat of the discussion, they can always skip to the timestamped post that comes after the show ends. It's fun to watch and discuss sometimes. :)

·
Got Basenji?
9,603 Posts
I voted no, but I do care. I think all the discussion about a show should be in one thread. Otherwise there could be valuable insights in the live thread that do not get brought into the discussion thread or get duplicated, with references that say "hey look what I said over here." Unless somehow the live thread could be locked automatically or heavily policed, it just seems to make more sense to have one thread. I have no problem scanning past that stuff personally.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,503 Posts
It's rare enough to not care about -- and it really only happens to the extreme in the threads of hugely popular shows like Lost or 24 -- which themselves will be huge threads to wade through anyway.

And while the comments you quoted border on the "I just want a reason to be posting in this thread" or "I needed an excuse to be the thread starter for this episode," just as often are the same comments that would've been made after the show was over, anyway -- someone just made them earlier.

·
Registered
15,283 Posts
YCantAngieRead said:
Yeah, I agree. If people want to get to the meat of the discussion, they can always skip to the timestamped post that comes after the show ends. It's fun to watch and discuss sometimes. :)
That is EXACTLY what I did in the 24 thread. I just skipped down to the posts that had been started after the show had actually aired. I don't think there is any reason to make a rule/law even if I think it's silly to post comments while the show is airing ;)

·
Go Big Blue!!
7,139 Posts
YCantAngieRead said:
What she said! :)
I enjoy going back to read the other 'live' thoughts of people, particularly when it was an especially exciting episode.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
6 month dead thread bumps bug me more.
<cough>If you could have ONLY 10 cable channels, what would they be? </cough>

·
No Pop Culture Here.
720 Posts
Threads posted a week, a day, 12 hours, 6 hrs early -- get rid of, or delete these posts, since the original posters only want to be the ones to claim they started the popular threads

Threads posted live -- let them be.

I voted let live posters be. Sometimes you can't conceal emotion that needs to be posted :)

Especially during Lost, 24 and Survivor! :)

·
Got Basenji?
9,603 Posts
5thcrewman said:
6 month dead thread bumps bug me more.
Well, I sometimes are bothered by it, but this is a TiVo forum after all and some people do keep a whole season on their drive and watch in the summer so I try to give them some slack.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Lee L said:
Well, I sometimes are bothered by it, but this is a TiVo forum after all and some people do keep a whole season on their drive and watch in the summer so I try to give them some slack.
Even <cough>If you could have ONLY 10 cable channels, what would they be? </cough> ?

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,503 Posts
Lee L said:
I'd love to see anyone who just posts a "bump" on such an otherwise long-gone thread be banned for a month. :)

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
justapixel said:
I want to get some input from people about this topic.

One of the rules in the TV Talk area is not to start a thread more than one hour before the show airs. This is to prevent people from having to wade through pages of speculation and conversation about last weeks show to get to the topic of the new show.

I, and others, have noticed that people are posting and watching during the show IN the official thread for that show. That means, that yes, people have to wade through pages and pages of nonsence comments to get to the discussion of the show.

The new 24 thread is a good example of that.

Here is what I mean (and I am making this up, this is not related to 24)

Post 1.
"Wow, look at that dress."
Post 2.
"When did Leah Ramini get fat?"
Post 3.
"What was that?"
Post 4.
"I think I saw a flash, but I'm not sure."

For people who watch the show later, and want to discuss the meat of the show, it's annoying to have to wade through all these comments to get to the point where the discussion begins.

So, we are thinking of requesting that we have an "official" thread, the way we've always done it, and a "Watch Live" thread.

There will be no rule made yet, and maybe never. I would like to get the input of the users first.

So, what do you think?
First let me apologize for breaking the rule about posting. I have been a longtime member of this forum, but haven't posted for a while.

That said, starting a thread more than an hour before the show, is no worse thant going WAY off topic about footbal and padding of the event!! ;)

Once, again, sorry for breaking the rule. :p

And for the record, I only started a thread because 24 is my only MUST WATCH show and last nights episodes was full of action (especially the first 15 minutes or so).

·
The Jerkstore called
1,800 Posts
Lee L said:
Or possibly people get tired of starting a new thread only to have the 1st 4 responses be: "This has been covered, click here ..... (insert link to 6-month old thread.)" without ever getting a response to their thought or question.

·
Series 3
32,297 Posts
Just as an alternative to posting your thoughts live,
when I was watching Enterprise, I would jot down my thoughts as I watched them then post them in one post.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
They annoy me sometimes, but I agree about the too many rules things, and who the heck can keep track of all of that? Obviously the ones in place are not always followed as it is.

People should be a little less hostile about pointing out smeeking though as a compromise because sometimes all those annoying posts can make your eyes glaze over and you might miss the fact that someone beat you to a post.

I hope the fact that you are posting this question means that your eye, your head and your back (did I forget anything?) are all feeling better!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I'm totally in favor of not starting threads hours before their airtime.

However, I generally like the live discussion. Not for every show, but they make the "event" shows more fun. That said a reasonable arguement could be made that that would better occur in a chatroom rather than a discussion board. As you say 4 pages of "whoah look at that" is rather meaningless.

The idea of a "live" thread and a post show discussion thread sounds like there would be too much confusion and duplicated discussion. plus who would lock the live threads to prevent continued discussion after each show.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.