TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup includes Tivo Series 2, Linksys BEFW11S4 rounter and Linksys WUSB11 V2.6 adapter.

My Tivo successfully connects to my neighbors unsecured, ssid broadcasting router but refuses to connect to my secured, ssid non-broadcasting router.

Even when I set my router to broadcast the ssid my Tivo does see it, but is still unable to connect (Error N06). I'm using 64-bit WEP...entered as both alphanumeric and hex. - still unable to connect. Even when I turn of WEP it still won't connect.

I know for sure it's not an adapter compatibility / Tivo model issue since it's already connecting to my neighbor’s network. Also, Router & Adapter are old...therefore running B-mode only.

Any ideas why it will not connect to my DHCP network? Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
bobrosy said:
My setup includes Tivo Series 2, Linksys BEFW11S4 rounter and Linksys WUSB11 V2.6 adapter.

My Tivo successfully connects to my neighbors unsecured, ssid broadcasting router but refuses to connect to my secured, ssid non-broadcasting router.

Even when I set my router to broadcast the ssid my Tivo does see it, but is still unable to connect (Error N06). I'm using 64-bit WEP...entered as both alphanumeric and hex. - still unable to connect. Even when I turn of WEP it still won't connect.

I know for sure it's not an adapter compatibility / Tivo model issue since it's already connecting to my neighbor’s network. Also, Router & Adapter are old...therefore running B-mode only.

Any ideas why it will not connect to my DHCP network? Any help would be appreciated...thanks!
Same issue here, although my 2 series2 stopped when I enabled WEP (after working MANY years without ANY encryption).

The SSID & Key is correct. The connection is established to the Linksys WRT54G v4.
It appears is the wireless DHCP is not sending (or the TiVo is not pulling) an IP address. The TiVo assigns the generic 169.xx.xx.xx.
Again, the 2 USB adapters worked fine for YEARS without a key.
Any ideas? Thanks Keith

·
DVD TiVo Expert
594 Posts
I've noticed this as well in my setup. Trying to setup a TiVo with your wireless router in most secure mode just makes things difficult. Try turning off the security features (broadcast SSID, no WEP) and starting over.

Have you tried any of these tricks?
- Reboot the TiVo with the wireless adapter unplugged?
- Tried to setup the TiVo to use a phone line, then try to use a wireless adapter? This may reset the TiVo to think it hasn't used a network before. Sometimes, when you setup the network and it fails, it will remember these settings and won't try any of the new settings.
- Typing in the SSID of your router instead of picking it from the list? Make sure you use the same case. "MyLan" is different from "MyLAN".

As a rule, wireless connections are a little difficult to get working, so don't give up too quickly. :)

Hope that helps,
robomeister

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you tried unpluging your router and tivo box and then powering your router back on and then pluging your tivo box back in , in that order. Could be worth a try.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If it works fine by turning off your security and you're kinda stuck on what settings to change you might want to give a free trial of Network Magic a shot. Doesn't cost much if you like it and decide to keep the premium features permanently.

http://www.networkmagic.com/

·
Registered
703 Posts
I thought of that but figured Network Magic would fix it and other possibilties. Yea that Mac filtering had me going nuts too as a fresh new network user, not that I'm an expert now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not MAC Filtering. I am going to try to replace the WUSB11 2.8 with a 2.6 I've located on EBay. It should be her today. Even though TiVo says the 2.8 is compatible, we will see.................

·
Registered
4 Posts
While waiting for the WUSB11 2.6 (to replace the v2.8) to come in the mail, I opted for B. I passed by a Best Buy today and picked up the TiVo branded unit just in case the 2.6 did not work. Well it came in and I tried it. The lights on the adapter "looked" better but it stilled to get an IP from DHCP. I gave up. But the Tivo adapter on, rebooted the TiVo.....................wahlah!..............Come to think of it, I could never get the Linksys (or real Cisco) to work on any of my Linux boxes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts