TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad's been on a hunting trip. He hasn't been home in a few days.

Too much John/Mary and MoL retcon. Definitely way too much meet-cute. But Jensen's managed to inject enough Supernatural vibe into it that I'll keep watching and see where it goes.

·
I am Groot!
58,009 Posts
That was...OK.

One thing that struck me...Supernatural started out with Sam & Dean, and gradually over many years built up a supporting cast and a vast mythology. Here, they're trying to jump in with all that from the beginning, without the careful chemistry building that the Mother Ship had. It will be interesting to see if they can pull it off...initially, it all seems kind of forced.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. If they had done Young Mary Campbell and her Scooby Gang, this might have been a better show. Shoving John and the Men of Letters into it was a mistake.

Didn't they decline to pick up the back 9? It might be over soon.

·
I am Groot!
58,009 Posts
Yeah. If they had done Young Mary Campbell and her Scooby Gang, this might have been a better show. Shoving John and the Men of Letters into it was a mistake.
I don't think it's a mistake in principle, just in execution. They should have eased into it over time instead of cramming it all in at the beginning. Supernatural developed a similar depth of mythology and expansive cast over 15 years, not one episode. And they should have hired more professional-caliber actors and writers (wow, some of that dialogue is just horrible!).

It's the story of Mary and John. Why not just let it be the story of Mary and John? Like Supernatural was Sam and Dean to begin with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts