TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
11,389 Posts
I'm watching it. Lots of things I want to google when it is over.

I watch a bunch of true crime stuff, but this one is good as it is "live." Kind of like "The First 48."

-John

·
Banned
11,389 Posts
I've watched through about day 32 or so of the trial...

I guess I think he is guilty. The majority of the evidence seems to me to indicate that he is guilty. I'm not sure how she would get those splits on her head from falling on stairs, or at least I would think that they would find the 3-4 places where they COULD say she split her head once on this step, once on that step, once on this other step. I would think that there would be left over "matter" (and splatter?) on each of those steps.

I don't like that his previous wife (I think that's who it was) also died from a fall on a staircase?! That's just too weird.

I can see the guy getting her nicely plied with alcohol and pills, and then taking his sweet time knocking her with the fireplace poker. I can even see him wiping it clean after each whack, which could explain the absence of blood splatter evidence to indicate that sort of an attack.

Although... it does still bug me that there isn't that blood splatter evidence to support that sort of attack. Is the guy that "good" that he knows to wipe off the poker between whacks? Also, if she was a mess... drugged and drunk, and he attacked her, you would think his first hit should pretty much take her down, and if so, how did she end up with blood under her shoes? That makes me wonder about whether she did get up once or twice, in a stooper, just to fall and accerbate her injuries.

He could have sat there and pushed her over everytime she did get up. Pulling her feet out from under her multiple times. Until finally, she didn't get up again.

Did I mention I find the guy to be a little too "smooth." He's got some very expensive "experts" (that Asian guy I believe to be one of the TOP TOP forensic experts).

In the end, I guess I still don't know. I do not like hearing of somebody else dying in virtually the same manner, however.
-John

·
Banned
11,389 Posts
I re-read the site where I got the impression it was "Blowpoke Returns" first and "The Verdict" second, and I still believe that to be the case. Blowpoke Returns was described as the defense arguments (which in reflection, we haven't seen... just the prosecution arguments) and "The Verdict" was described as the verdict.

Monday April 25th at 9:00pm
Chapter 7: The Blowpoke Returns.
The defense begins presenting its case, which relies heavily upon such experts as a biomechanical engineer and a prominent forensic scientist. But the outcome may finally come down to a stunning find by Michael Peterson’s oldest son.
Chapter 8: The Verdict.
The long trial reaches its conclusion and Michael Peterson learns his fate – at least, for the immediate future.
-John

·
Banned
11,389 Posts
It looks like just the listing is screwed up. What my TiVo recorded at 9PM Eastern, labeled "The Verdict" is actually "Chapter 7: The Blowpoke Returns." The one labeled Blowpoke, is actually "Chapter 8: The Verdict."

So if you watch them in the order the TiVo recorded them, you should be OK.

-John

·
Banned
11,389 Posts
Do not read unless you have seen the conclusion.

". . . . . . Hail horrours, hail
Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell
Receive thy new Possessor; One who brings
A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time.
The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n
What matter where, if I be still the same,
And what should I be, all but less than he
Whom thunder hath made greater? Here at least
We shall be free; th' Almighty hath not built
Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure, and in my choyce
To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n."

...John Milton, Paradise Lost (Book 1)
Great documentary.

-John

·
Banned
11,389 Posts
bruab said:
I recorded about 6 episodes and I can't make heads or tails of them. They're 50 minutes long and they show 2 back to back, but half of the epsiodes seem to start in the middle. I also seem to have episode one but not two or three. I started late, so maybe it was just the re-broadcasts that had screwy DTV guide data? It first episode was very interesting though.

They seem to have a marathon scheduled for May 1, so maybe if I get them straight through I'll have it all.
There are eight fifty minute segments titled chapter 1 to 8.

Chapter 1:
Crime or Accident.
Chapter 2:
Secrets and Lies.
Chapter 3:
A Striking Coincidence.
Chapter 4:
A Prosecution Trickery.
Chapter 5:
A Weak Case.
Chapter 6:
The Prosecution’s Revenge.
Chapter 7:
The Blowpoke Returns.
Chapter 8:
The Verdict.

All eight episodes will air on Sunday May 1st, beginning at 2:00pm.

-John

·
Banned
11,389 Posts
Ntombi said:
Anyway, this is really good, even though I know the particulars, because I halfway paid attention to this trial when it was on CourtTV. I like the style of the filmmaker.
Ntombi,

Does CourtTV still air complete trials like they used to with O.J. and that crazy middle-aged blonde woman (forget her name)? From your message I take it they do. I used to love those. Is there a place for me to get a rundown on what the current trial they are airing is, and at what time during the day it airs? Assuming there is one. If there isn't one, how do I find out when they are next going to show one? Do I just have to keep visiting their web-site, or is there a better way?

-John

·
Banned
11,389 Posts
I'll admit to being pretty shocked at the verdict too. The shots of his girls crying pretty much tore me up. Lightning strike, indeed.

I do think a part of OUR concern/surprise in the case is that we saw the entire case presented to us, in the documentary, from the defense side. I would have preferred to see this case "in court" to have the kind of perspective that would have allowed me to judge his guilt or innocence.

Some of my favorite moments include the lady prosecutor's face when they pulled out the blowpoke. That was a classic moment, IMHO. However, as it was presented in the documentary, I don't think the lead defense attorney did as good a job as he could in leading the jury/court up to that moment. I didn't hear any ooohs or ahhhs of shock, or really get any feeling at all of surprise, other than the shot of the lady prosecutor's face. I'm not sure how I could have done it better, I'm just sure that it could have been done better.

I need to google more about the second person in his life that was also found dead on a staircase. I didn't pay too much attention during that episode and still don't have that quite down in my mind. Something like that could explain what put the jury in the frame of mind to convict. It's just to weird a coincidence.

Old Dr. Henry Lee took a little hit in this case. Apparently the jury believed the State's explanation of the blood splatter over his.

I turned out liking Peterson a bit more than I had originally. Anyone that can spout off quotes from Milton's Paradise Lost in everyday conversation garners at least a little bit of my respect. :)

Oh, and as far as the bi-sexual stuff, I guess that could have had more of an impact on the jury than I had originally thought as well. But, if the prosecution was going to go there, couldn't the defense have brought up some sort of "crime of passion" type argument and gotten 2nd Degree, 3rd Degree or whatever options on the verdict slip? Here they had two choices -- guilty or not guilty, of capital murder.

I guess maybe the defense were going for all or nothing. They got it all.
-John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.