TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Narm...
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this mini-series yet, but the write-up on Slate makes it sound very interesting:

The film, which runs over six hours in its entirety, is an account of the Peterson murder trial—no, not that Peterson. In December 2001, Michael Peterson, a novelist and newspaper columnist, called 911 in hysterics to report that his wife Kathleen, a successful executive at Nortel, had fallen down the stairs of their Durham, N.C., home. But when the cops arrived at the scene, the extensive blood-spatter patterns on the staircase, along with evidence recovered from Michael Peterson's computer, seemed to contradict his story. Within a week, Peterson had been charged with first-degree murder and had retained the services of a charismatic and expensive defense attorney named David Rudolf.
http://www.slate.com/id/2116156/

It's currently running on the Sundance channel. The first 2 episodes ran Monday night, but Sundance is replaying them often. If you're looking for this in the guide date, it's "The Stair Case" not "Staircase."

·
Narm...
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ntombi said:
Anyway, this is really good, even though I know the particulars, because I halfway paid attention to this trial when it was on CourtTV. I like the style of the filmmaker.
Yes, this is definitely not like Dateline NBC! So far, I like the pacing and moodiness. I know virtually nothing about the case, but so far, neither side has me convinced.

·
Narm...
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I believe those are the last two episodes, in that order.

Edit: I was referring to skanter's post. My guess is the "verdict" will come at the very end of the "Verdict" episode, then they will wrap everything up and get reactions from the various parties in the "Blowpoke" episode. This is pure speculation though, as I won't get near the guide data for fear of spoilers!

·
Narm...
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, if that's the case, it could be the filmmakers had some sort artsy-smartsy existential reason for showing the verdict and then going back to the defense's arguments. Or, someone at Sundance screwed up!

·
Narm...
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wow. That was riveting!

After the blow poke episode, I was firmly in the "reasonable doubt" camp. The verdict really shocked me.

·
Narm...
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
skanter said:
It sure was!

I missed eps 5&6, but unless the prosecution presented some VERY DAMNING evidence, I can't see how the jury convicted Peterson. It was totally stunning -- and depressing. The prosecution's closing seemed to deal with Peterson't bisexuality more than evidence proving he committed the crime.
No reasonable doubt??? Hardly...
Agreed.

There were TONS of reasonable doubt. Episode 5 adds some more reasonable doubt, although Episode 6 sort of evens the score. Also, some aspects of the trial that were left out that, in my opinion, damaged the prosecution even further.

The feeling I got was that they were out to get this guy. Whether it was the fact the he was bisexual, or if there was a combination of reasons, I'm not sure. Regardless, no revelation seem to shake anyone on the other side. When they found the blow poke, Catlin (Kathleen's daughter) went on Court TV to say "this doesn't change anything." What!? I was screaming at the TV at this point: THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.