TiVo Community Forum banner
141 - 160 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
I thought it was after they switched channels, which I thought was kinda weird that everyone was on the channel. I guess they all just wanted to listen to what was being said to Nolan and all switched.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 9 MAY BE ENCOUNTERED AFTER THIS POINT

·
LOAD"*",8,1
41,801 Posts
Just watching through 8 and 9, so...
Doing Episode 8 from the pov of body cams, shopcams, dashcams, interrogation room cams, ball cam, helicopters cams, streetcams, overpass cam, storefront security cams, dock cam, helmet cam, ship cam and finally the studio camera was interesting. Annoying at times, but interesting.
I didn't mind it. I just found it slightly unbelievable that each shop would be equipped with multiple cameras to allow for multiple perspective shots. Convenient for TV, sure, but unbelievable. (No more or less unbelievable than the show is normally, mind you.)

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
I like how Nolan moved up from crashing at a friends home in s1 to that new home on a rookie’s salary (even if he did do the renovation himself). If Tim could get 1mm for his beat up small childhood home, how much is Nolan’s home worth? Gotta be at least 5mm.
Are Hollywood writers that disconnected on how the working class live?

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
You are joking, right? Just look at every house and every (especially NY) apartment in TV. They are all huge and completely outside the financial reach of the characters.
And how many of the TV Shows based in NY are actually filmed and written in LA? I wasn't referring to LA homes, I was referring to how TV (almost) always have upscale homes, even if the family is working class.

There's no way Nolan could afford the property taxes on that home on an officers salary.

·
Random Nobody
7,664 Posts
Taxes in LA County is limited to about 1.03% purchase price, increasing by a max 2% per year. I have a ...well, let's say a valuable house, and I only pay about $5,500/yr in property taxes.

Rookies earn $71K in the academy, PO1 (rookies) start at $75K. PO2, $80K. If he finished his degree in the side-plot, that's another bump in salary at reaching PO2. Another 1.25% for being on patrol.

Edit: Oh, updated those old numbers. They've bumped them up, recently:

SALARY | Join LAPD

Sure, he went through a divorce, but he obviously had savings (his son's college fund), and probably saved a bit from his contracting business divestiture. I'll give him a "sure, why not?" for staying in a friend's house while going through the academy with little to no income to save as much of his nest-egg as possible. (edit: turns out he did have a substantial salary)

Have they actually said where he lives? Usually LAPD folks don't live in Los Angeles, but considering they went to arrest him in his own house, maybe he is. But 1) LA covers a lot of land, from "The Valley" to the South Bay, and 2) they had one scene where they responded to the Rose Bowl (the one where the rookie on the take was shot by the detective), and the Rose Bowl is definitely NOT in Los Angeles... who knows? TV doesn't have to make perfect sense, just internal-consistency sense.

--Carlos V.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Taxes in LA County is limited to about 1.03% purchase price, increasing by a max 2% per year. I have a ...well, let's say a valuable house, and I only pay about $5,500/yr in property taxes.

Rookies earn $71K in the academy, PO1 (rookies) start at $75K. PO2, $80K. If he finished his degree in the side-plot, that's another bump in salary at reaching PO2. Another 1.25% for being on patrol.

Edit: Oh, updated those old numbers. They've bumped them up, recently:

SALARY | Join LAPD

Sure, he went through a divorce, but he obviously had savings (his son's college fund), and probably saved a bit from his contracting business divestiture. I'll give him a "sure, why not?" for staying in a friend's house while going through the academy with little to no income to save as much of his nest-egg as possible. (edit: turns out he did have a substantial salary)

Have they actually said where he lives? Usually LAPD folks don't live in Los Angeles, but considering they went to arrest him in his own house, maybe he is. But 1) LA covers a lot of land, from "The Valley" to the South Bay, and 2) they had one scene where they responded to the Rose Bowl (the one where the rookie on the take was shot by the detective), and the Rose Bowl is definitely NOT in Los Angeles... who knows? TV doesn't have to make perfect sense, just internal-consistency sense.

--Carlos V.
There was more than one aerial shot of his house; he apparently lives near the Hollywood sign. But if instead it was near the Rose Bowl, that would be in or near Pasadena which would be pushing the price of his property up.

(I just realized, this is like every party we go to in LA; sooner or later we start talking about home prices and keep it up until the host flicks the lights to get us to go home.)

141 - 160 of 304 Posts