TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the premier episode certainly required "the willing suspension of disbelief" at many points. That's all I'm gonna say about that. I will however dwell on the sudden departure of Officer Jackson West. First *spoiler* follows.

Despite what many of the online summaries say, at the end of the last season we did not know Jackson had also been taken. That was left ambiguous, with someone not being able to find Jackson, which is why Nolan offered to take the bouquet to the bride. Then the new season immediately shows us a sudden end to the character, played by a stand-in. Too fast, but it might have happened in real life just that way, sad-to-say.

The actor who played Jackson West, Titus Makin, Jr., is being tight-lipped about exactly when and why he left the show. He had in the past expressed some qualms about playing a Black cop right now, but at his request the show had added relevant issues for his character to struggle with. Speculation is that it's possible Makin just wants to focus on his music instead of his acting now.

Reactions: Donbadabon

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I also saw a tweet, but take it with a grain of salt,
Big grain of salt. If there is any truth to that tweet, it will take over the internetz. That hasn't happened (yet?). But his extreme silence does make one wonder what's going on.

He wasn't missing at the end of last season.
Right, and at the time they may have only been using the "Have you seen Jackson?" bit as a way to put Nolan in the last scene. They may or may not have been planning to have Jackson taken as well. But when he left between seasons, suddenly they had to go with that.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Proof that I'm not going crazy: Jackson West was kind of missing at the end of last season. Though as I said that may have just been a way to get Nolan into the last scene where he discovers Lopez has been abducted.

Flower Photograph Facial expression Plant Organ

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 2 AFTER THIS POINT

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
E2 was better than E1. And based on the preview, it looks like by E3 they'll have got their groove back. Fingers crossed for them here.

Reactions: Crobinzine

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 3 MAY BE ENCOUNTERED AFTER THIS POINT

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OK with E3 we're back to normal.

Reactions: jasrub

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
"Just a TV show"? No such thing. :)

Reactions: Tony_T

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 4 MAY BE ENCOUNTERED AFTER THIS POINT

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yes, good episode! Even before the cool capoeira-karate chick cage fight.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Knowing what it looks like to fire a gun does not make one a "gun nut". Also, I'm a software engineering manager not a "computer geek", lol.

Now I'm sorry I posted that link here. There's a very active thread on the Rust accident in Happy Hour. Let's take this there.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 5 MAY BE ENCOUNTERED AFTER THIS POINT

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I'm sure gun manufactures are working on some now that will simulate those, even with sound that don't actually have projectiles. Can't be that difficult.
As I said this will be interesting to watch. There are already recoil simulation kits that use a CO2 cartridge to cycle a rifle bolt or a semiauto pistol slide, but I don't know of anything like that for revolvers like the ones being used in Rust so maybe someone's working on that right now.

Smoke and flash can be added later with CGI, and I think the final sound also will be added later too. "Sound without projectiles" is what they do now with blanks, but blanks can damage the hearing of nearby crew when they are not ready and wearing the correct ear protection.

Actors will have to respond to all of that, real or imagined, with the correct eye movement, flinching, or other reactions as appropriate to their characters. All or most of actors on The Rookie are certainly capable of that, given the correct cues and other support.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Also blanks can cause injury, and even death if discharged too close to the body.
Yes in 1984 Jon-Erik Hexum was playing Russian roulette with blanks in a revolver between takes on a film set, fractured his skull and died. But mostly it's eye and ear injuries.

They say you can feel a handgun blank from 10 or 15 feet away, and one armorer said in an LA Times interview that he keeps everyone along the line of fire at least 20 feet away.

Interesting article: Filming With Firearms - The American Society of Cinematographers

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Actors have to be able to simulate dying, injury, walking with a limp, having a devastating sickness and even sex. Some actors are better then others. Some viewers are more demanding then others.
Yeah don't get me started about certain TV kisses, lol... Anyway in subsequent posts I expanded on the what I think will be most interesting to watch about the tech and the acting, and stated my confidence in all or most of the actors on The Rookie.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
No but I draw the line at inaccurate kisses. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
they're real quick going to have to invent a CO2 release kick system, with an RF signal to trip a loudspeaker for the sound (for reaction).
An RF-controlled loudspeaker is a good idea. As I mentioned above, CO2-powered recoil simulators for rifles and semiauto pistols exist now, but I don't know of anything like that for revolvers. Airsoft models are not quite the same thing, and would probably present too much danger unless specially modified anyway, but the announcement for this show did say "replica toy guns" . It will be interesting to watch this tech develop, along with the acting required.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
My favorite British police procedural is Silent Witness, a very successful show about crime scene investigation that has been running continuously since 1996 (four years before CSI in the USA). Some of their episodes have guns all over the place. Others have none, just sharp objects or other dangers.

Either way I find each episode to be a carefully constructed representation of English society as I have experienced it, and would never call that show silly or American in any way. And unfortunately, to represent American society, in my experience — outside of Quaker meetings and such — when things go wrong guns are more likely to appear so that's how you represent American society, for better or worse.

If you see a British or American show using guns as a crutch, then it's likely to be lame in other ways as well.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts