TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the premier episode certainly required "the willing suspension of disbelief" at many points. That's all I'm gonna say about that. I will however dwell on the sudden departure of Officer Jackson West. First *spoiler* follows.

Despite what many of the online summaries say, at the end of the last season we did not know Jackson had also been taken. That was left ambiguous, with someone not being able to find Jackson, which is why Nolan offered to take the bouquet to the bride. Then the new season immediately shows us a sudden end to the character, played by a stand-in. Too fast, but it might have happened in real life just that way, sad-to-say.

The actor who played Jackson West, Titus Makin, Jr., is being tight-lipped about exactly when and why he left the show. He had in the past expressed some qualms about playing a Black cop right now, but at his request the show had added relevant issues for his character to struggle with. Speculation is that it's possible Makin just wants to focus on his music instead of his acting now.

Reactions: Donbadabon

·
Premium Member
18,399 Posts
Well, the premier episode certainly required "the willing suspension of disbelief" at many points. That's all I'm gonna say about that. I will however dwell on the sudden departure of Officer Jackson West. First *spoiler* follows.

Despite what many of the online summaries say, at the end of the last season we did not know Jackson had also been taken. That was left ambiguous, with someone not being able to find Jackson, which is why Nolan offered to take the bouquet to the bride. Then the new season immediately shows us a sudden end to the character, played by a stand-in. Too fast, but it might have happened in real life just that way, sad-to-say.

The actor who played Jackson West, Titus Makin, Jr., is being tight-lipped about exactly when and why he left the show. He had in the past expressed some qualms about playing a Black cop right now, but at his request the show had added relevant issues for his character to struggle with. Speculation is that it's possible Makin just wants to focus on his music instead of his acting now.
I also saw a tweet, but take it with a grain of salt, that he is accused of being a sexual predator. The showrunner said he quit in the summer, so they had no choice but to kill him off. He wasn't missing at the end of last season. They had some audio 'flashback' of Ofc. West 'is missing'. They used his stunt double to film the shot. I read that the video of the shooting was the first time that the actors saw it, making their response to it a little bit more real.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I also saw a tweet, but take it with a grain of salt,
Big grain of salt. If there is any truth to that tweet, it will take over the internetz. That hasn't happened (yet?). But his extreme silence does make one wonder what's going on.

He wasn't missing at the end of last season.
Right, and at the time they may have only been using the "Have you seen Jackson?" bit as a way to put Nolan in the last scene. They may or may not have been planning to have Jackson taken as well. But when he left between seasons, suddenly they had to go with that.

·
Bored
4,257 Posts
I really want to keep liking this show, but they task me.

The idea that street cops could fly into another country and rescue one of their own is just ridiculous. And on top of that, now we have a lawyer that owes the mob a favor for life.

Since Nolan is no longer a rookie, does the show's name still make sense? Even Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family and Roseanne/The Conners changed their names when it was no longer applicable.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Since Nolan is no longer a rookie, does the show's name still make sense? Even Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family and Roseanne/The Conners changed their names when it was no longer applicable.
Nolan will become a training officer. I know it doesn't make sense but they will probably justify it by saying he went through more stuff while being a rookie than any officer goes through their entire career and that he is qualified.

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Proof that I'm not going crazy: Jackson West was kind of missing at the end of last season. Though as I said that may have just been a way to get Nolan into the last scene where he discovers Lopez has been abducted.

Flower Photograph Facial expression Plant Organ

·
Premium Member
4,921 Posts
I want to keep watching this show but as others have said it is way out there as far as story lines.
The "Spoilers" in the title does mean we can talk about what happened with out worrying about some one haven't seeing it yet?

·
Premium Member
18,399 Posts
I want to keep watching this show but as others have said it is way out there as far as story lines.
The "Spoilers" in the title does mean we can talk about what happened with out worrying about some one haven't seeing it yet?
Yes, spoilers are usually allowed up to and including whatever the current episode is. Spoilers is in the title so you don't have to manually spoil it in the comments. If it isn't in the title, then you must use spoiler tags. Also, if it is for future episodes at the time of posting, you should use spoiler tags anyway.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I really want to keep liking this show, but they task me.

The idea that street cops could fly into another country and rescue one of their own is just ridiculous. And on top of that, now we have a lawyer that owes the mob a favor for life.
Apparently "The Rookie", like many other shows, does a very special episode at the end of the season to put all characters at risk so they can easily get rid of problem actors over the summer. In the case of "Rookie", this turns out to have been very thoughtful.

On the other hand, "Veep" and "Madam Secretary" didn't change their names when they were no longer applicable. The show has a great title, they're not going to change it.

·
Substantive Member
12,179 Posts
The one scene I did enjoy was when they were on the helicopter and the guy said no more stops and all of them pulled their guns.
As I said watching it, you shouldn't let people with guns onto your helicopter. (Not if you don't want to get hijacked.)

I liked that scene. I hope this episode is a temporary aberration, and they get back to more real stuff in the coming episodes. I am also worried about Wesley.

Reactions: Crobinzine

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 2 AFTER THIS POINT

1 - 20 of 315 Posts