TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 80 of 147 Posts

· I am Groot!
58,911 Posts
When you first heard Ash speak, did anyone else immediately shout out "Cho Chang!" ?I didn't immediately recognize her face (she's changed) but that voice was unmistakable.
And she's not the only grown-up F&SF child star in the show...we also have Rani from the Sarah Jane Adventures (Lowbeer's artificial sidekick).

· Meh.
41,546 Posts
Wow. Tommy really broke bad in this episode. I didn't expect that at all. Flynne and Burton have some serious splainin' to do to him and the doctor.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,452 Posts
Two guys I work with are very young (22 & 25) and are the current iteration of geeks, into all manner of not only current pop culture sci-fi, but all manner of older as well. The 25-year-old drives me nuts with his Star Wars & Lord of the Rings crap that nobody until his generation cared about.

One morning I asked, are you excited about The Peripheral? He hadn't heard of it and within seconds googled it... and said oh, so The Matrix? I said no not The Matrix, William Gibson pre-dates The Matrix. Then the kicker: he had never heard of William Gibson, and all his references were post-Gibson. I was absolutely dumbfounded.
Well I'm 60-something and I've never heard of Gibson either. Usually this type of show isn't my cup of tea, but I'm enjoying it so far. I've watched I think 5 episodes, maybe 6. I know I have some more to go. I do enjoy light SciFi, and definitely NOT a SciFi nerd. This is a bit too Sci Fi for me, but I'm definitely invested in the story.

· I am Groot!
58,911 Posts
Well I'm 60-something and I've never heard of Gibson either. Usually this type of show isn't my cup of tea, but I'm enjoying it so far. I've watched I think 5 episodes, maybe 6. I know I have some more to go. I do enjoy light SciFi, and definitely NOT a SciFi nerd. This is a bit too Sci Fi for me, but I'm definitely invested in the story.
Right, but gchance was talking about people who ARE sci-fi nerds...but somehow have never heard of Gibson, who is an absolute god in sci-fi nerd culture. He basically invented an entire genre (cyberpunk), and has gone on to become a mainstream (but still sci-fi) bestselling author.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,452 Posts
Right, but gchance was talking about people who ARE sci-fi nerds...but somehow have never heard of Gibson, who is an absolute god in sci-fi nerd culture. He basically invented an entire genre (cyberpunk), and has gone on to become a mainstream (but still sci-fi) bestselling author.
I could see that. Someone who's into music now, might not know all the greats from 40-50 years ago. But yeah, if someone is bragging how they are a SciFi Guru and doesn't know someone who's influencial in the genre, it might sound strange to someone who does.

· I am Groot!
58,911 Posts
I could see that. Someone who's into music now, might not know all the greats from 40-50 years ago. But yeah, if someone is bragging how they are a SciFi Guru and doesn't know someone who's influencial in the genre, it might sound strange to someone who does.
And Gibson is not only a great from 40 years ago (when he published Neuromancer, one of the all-time great sci-fi novels), he's significant now (e.g., The Peripheral, which is adapted from a novel from 2014, the first book in a trilogy the third of which hasn't even come out yet)...so somebody who's into sci-fi now but doesn't care about its history should still know who Gibson is.

· Meh.
41,546 Posts
I'm still surprised that Neuromance was never made into a film. And if it was, then I'd be even more surprised that I didn't know that.

· I am Groot!
58,911 Posts
I'm still surprised that Neuromance was never made into a film. And if it was, then I'd be even more surprised that I didn't know that.
People have been trying since the book came out. I suspect it was unfilmable in the past because the technology just wasn't there to do it right, and now because its views of the internet are...rather dated.

· Registered
3,610 Posts
If they were truly sci fi nerds they wouldn't be fanboiing over SW/LoTR (those skew toward fantasy way, way more; SW is a politics than science). I'mnot hard-core sci fi but I like what maybe you could call pop-sci-fi, but I definitely heard of Gibson (although I've never read his stuff; frankly, of that list -- and I'd have to add Lem -- I only read Asimov).

· I am Groot!
58,911 Posts
Star Wars is what I like to call Science Fantasy...i.e., SF that doesn't care about science. That uses a science fiction setting or science fiction elements as an excuse to tell the story it wants to tell.

Not that there's (necessarily) anything wrong with that.

· ...I'm not.
19,983 Posts
People have been trying since the book came out. I suspect it was unfilmable in the past because the technology just wasn't there to do it right, and now because its views of the internet are...rather dated.
Closest thing was Johnny Mnemonic, which I mostly enjoyed, but was far from a mainstream success. (And actually caused me to have lowered expectations for the The Matrix, in part due to Keanu's less than stellar performance)

Reactions: aaronwt

· I am Groot!
58,911 Posts
See, it was smart of me to say this. So the universe could turn around and make me look silly.

· Meh.
41,546 Posts
Just a heads-up: There's a fairly significant scene after the end credit's of this week's episode (the season finalé).
I happened by chance to check the time remaining when the credits began and saw that there was a significant amount of time left which prompted me to ffwd to see if there was a post credits scene. Have there been post credits scenes in other episodes? I never check. Once the credits start to roll, I'm out. I believe that directors who add post credits scenes should be thrown into an active volcano.

I'll admit to being somewhat confused by the ending and Flynne's plan to continue fighting against evil Dr. ShoulderPads. I also find it pretty unbelievable that Connor would kill her.

· Registered
5,245 Posts
I'll admit to being somewhat confused by the ending and Flynne's plan to continue fighting against evil Dr. ShoulderPads. I also find it pretty unbelievable that Connor would kill her.
Since Flynn, and the whole town, would be dead otherwise, Conner had no choice, but their “other selves“ will live in the new stub, with only Flynn knowing about the other stub (…if I’m understanding this)

Great show.

· I am Groot!
58,911 Posts
Since Flynn, and the whole town, would be dead otherwise, Conner had no choice, but their “other selves“ will live in the new stub, with only Flynn knowing about the other stub (…if I’m understanding this)
My only question is how does NeoFlynn maintain contact between the future and the NeoStub, since she destroyed the object that contained its "address"...

61 - 80 of 147 Posts