TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Palindromer
19,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone watching?

Amazon Prime released the first two episodes (the second episode is dated as OAD of 10/28/2022, which is weird, right?)

As always, I would prefer episodic threads, but if there aren't a lot of you watching this, I guess I'll keep this as a season thread... Let's use this to discuss the first two episodes, and if there's enough interest, I'll as the moderators to rename this thread as a S01E01 and S01E02 thread...

So far, I am digging it... Pretty cool premise so far... I am not sure what to make of what's going on underneath the skin of Burton and his buddies. And they all have the digital eyeballs too... Flynne doesn't seem to have either of this bio-tech (unless we just haven't seen it yet)...

So far, I am hooked...

·
Seasoned gas passer
12,193 Posts
I'd prefer Flynne in her own skin when she's in the "future".

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I'm in 😃!
Flynn doesn't appear to be ex-military (but could be), so I don't expect her to have the bio-upgrades her brother has.
I like the twist on the time travel genre and how (finally) time travel is has a monetary use, and how (so far) no 'butterfly effect' rules.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm loving this so far. I'm a sucker for anything sci-fi like this.

My guess is that her brother and his friends were part of some (military) elite experimental squad or something (what with all that tech in their bodies and how they all seem to work great together and with the drones, etc)

·
Meh.
40,803 Posts
It's only been two episodes but this show is very good and interesting so far.

This is based on a William Gibson book? I thought he was against his books being made into movies or tv shows.

·
I am Groot!
58,009 Posts

This is based on a William Gibson book? I thought he was against his books being made into movies or tv shows.
I think the universe is against his books being adapted. I know his masterpiece, Neuromancer, has been under option several times over the decades but nobody's ever managed to get it made. So obviously he's not personally opposed, or he wouldn't keep selling it!

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
15,662 Posts
Two guys I work with are very young (22 & 25) and are the current iteration of geeks, into all manner of not only current pop culture sci-fi, but all manner of older as well. The 25-year-old drives me nuts with his Star Wars & Lord of the Rings crap that nobody until his generation cared about.

One morning I asked, are you excited about The Peripheral? He hadn't heard of it and within seconds googled it... and said oh, so The Matrix? I said no not The Matrix, William Gibson pre-dates The Matrix. Then the kicker: he had never heard of William Gibson, and all his references were post-Gibson. I was absolutely dumbfounded.

·
Registered
18,998 Posts

For me it started off kind of cheap looking and I wasn't sure if I was in for the plot, but once it was clear that she was controlling an actual body and they mentioned the temporal stuff, I instantly got more excited about where this is going.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Yup. This is book one of the "Jackpot" trilogy. Book 2 is called "Agency" and follows some of the same characters and themes from Book 1.

Answering another above question : Yes, Burton and his mates were all in the same Marine "Haptic Recon" unit.

·
Meh.
40,803 Posts
If Flynne was controlling another body then why did she have to be trapped in that body while they performed eye surgery on it? Shouldn't they have been able to perform that and any other body modifications on the host without her?

·
...I'm not.
19,885 Posts
If Flynne was controlling another body then why did she have to be trapped in that body while they performed eye surgery on it? Shouldn't they have been able to perform that and any other body modifications on the host without her?
The point seemed to be to pressure(/torture)-test her. The "client" addressed that pretty directly; there was no need for her to be inhabiting the body during that time, but the client wanted to be sure she could handle pain and the associated body-horror, in case she had to sacrifice her avatar during a mission.

The only question I have is what happened after they put her "to sleep" at the end? Did she experience that time period w/ no sensory input? Or were they able to time-skip her consciousness past that to when she "woke up"? It didn't seem like she had a chance to disconnect from the rig, so they must have held onto her connection one way or another. (ETA: or were they actually able to put her real brain into a sleep-mode via the peripheral apparatus?)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
It was a training exercise. Flynne needs to disassociate her "physical well-being" when she's inhabiting the peripheral. It's not her body that's being damaged.

·
UHD Addict
23,267 Posts
It was a training exercise. Flynne needs to disassociate her "physical well-being" when she's inhabiting the peripheral. It's not her body that's being damaged.
But it seems like she is having some kind of physical, detrimental, effects from her experience.

·
All About Footwork
29,776 Posts
I'm assuming this is now a season thread?

I won't post anything about the third episode (which I just finished).

This show is awesome. I'm loving it. But I really don't want to wait a week between episodes. Since the discussion on TCF doesn't seem to be very robust, I think I'll wait until all the episodes are in before I binge the rest.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Random Nobody
7,437 Posts
When I saw the promo several months ago, I had a twinge of "Hey, I know this premise. It sounds familiar." Then the title card came up and I reacted "Oh, hey. Something I've actually read before."

Though this story isn't the book(s) story.

Is it me, or does Jack Reynor (plays the brother Burton Fisher) look like a young, fit Seth Rogan?

--Carlos V.

·
All About Footwork
29,776 Posts
Is it me, or does Jack Reynor (plays the brother Burton Fisher) look like a young, fit Seth Rogan?

--Carlos V.
I get that too!

Chris Pratt as well (I used to confuse Pratt and Rogan all the time)...

Reactions: aaronwt

·
All About Footwork
29,776 Posts
oh, forgot to mention that while I love (almost) everything about the show, the "evil doctor" is too comic-book-evil for me. I wish it was acted/directed to be a bit more realistic.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts