TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 232 Posts

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
I enjoyed it. And Klyden is a jerk.
I can't quite go there with Klyden- since he was born female as well.

Bummer this is a fat bit of character serialization (for both Bortas and Topas) that we'll probably never see to completion.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,096 Posts
I have to give MacFarlane credit when he said this season was going to handle bigger issues.
We had an episode on abortion, then an episode that's about trans kids, that's far more big issues in 2 episodes than Trek has in a season, and I'm a Trek junkie..

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
There will always be a soft spot in me for the morality plays and introspection on contemporary culture. It is encouraging to see The Orville champion it in its storytelling - even if the show's future is up in the air. Props to Brannon Braga and the writing staff too. The first episode about Issac's suicide was amazing.

That should make him more empathetic , not less!
Clearly there's something that we're still in the dark regarding Moclan culture. I didn't read Klyden's shunning because Topas chose to be female- but because of the trauma she would endure by choosing to be female. Possibly trauma that Klyden has some experience with. More fear than hate and loathing.

Does it justify the shunning? No. It's still walking away from your kid. But ask families of chronic alcohol/substance abusers of the choices they've had to make.

·
Kermie Loves Elmo
8,224 Posts
Clearly there's something that we're still in the dark regarding Moclan culture. I didn't read Klyden's shunning because Topas chose to be female- but because of the trauma she would endure by choosing to be female. Possibly trauma that Klyden has some experience with. More fear than hate and loathing.

Does it justify the shunning? No. It's still walking away from your kid. But ask families of chronic alcohol/substance abusers of the choices they've had to make.
Substance abuse and wanting to be who you are, are two different things, IMHO. If he was concerned about the trauma, he would stay to protect her from it. I'd say it's a mix of fear, hate and self hate.

·
Nice to see you
12,128 Posts
Spoilers for S03E06, "Twice in a Lifetime"...

I find it highly implausible that Charly wouldn't know what a cell phone is. Surely they would have come up at some point during her education.

I also find it highly implausible that Ed and Kelly were surprised by Malloy's wife and kid(s), because they'd seen his obituary.

I also find it highly implausible that the spot where Charly and Isaac needed to drill just happened to be underneath the one house in Southern California with a basement, which just happened to be vacant.

41 - 60 of 232 Posts