TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 232 Posts

·
King Button Pusher
27,252 Posts
Keep in mind also that some writers learned everything they think they know about science from watching previous Sci-Fi shows. Combine that with directors routinely ignoring any advice they get on technology and it's a miracle when anything changes.
Perhaps, but let's face it... space flight is boring as he!!, from an entertainment perspective. The Orville is not the type of show that is going to pioneer anything technical, especially if it's boring. They only show us things flying around in space to remind us that they are flying around in space.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
Target demographic is the only thing that matters. The general public wants to see things fly like an aircraft, not a technically accurate depiction of a space craft.
There's something I remember from an old sci-fi documentary in the 80s that used old Flash Gordon serials as a reference for what they were saying: that the audience expects certain sounds when things happen onscreen. At the time nobody knew what a spaceship landing sounded like, but they DID know the sound that something big and heavy dropped into dirt sounded like, so that's the sound effect that was used when the spaceship landed. And something exploding makes an explosion sound, so even if the explosion onscreen was happening in space, the audience is expecting an explosion sound.

They extrapolated that further and said that now you would have a more realistic sound for a rocket taking off, not because of technology, but because audiences now know what a rocket taking off sounds like. And in the future when rockets taking off sound differently, we'll look back on the sci-fi show as being quaint for using that sound.

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about this second episode. It was decent but it looks like lots of crew were 'dead'.
I found it to be just 'ok'. Part of the reason, is I went back and rewatched the first two seasons when season 3 started. And I find I really, really enjoyed (and miss) a lot of a sillier humor they worked into the show at first, and then tuned down. We seem to have lost that. We've gone full humorless serious sci fi, and when it's really good sci fi (as it has been off an on), it works out. But the silly humor helped to fill in the gaps and gave the show an extra aspect of entertainment. I hope it comes back. I know that some people thought it was "too much", but I feel it was "just right". ;)

"We need no longer fear the bananna!"

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
This was a much darker episode than I'm used to seeing with this show. I think Seth McFarlane is trying to take this show down a more serious path than before. Maybe he's looking to attract a different audience now that the show has split from Fox. He clearly setup future episodes with a new nemesis. This is like his version of the Borg, but instead of surgically altering you and making you a member of their collective, they just barf on you and turn you into the Fly.

·
The Question
11,688 Posts
Maybe [McFarlane is] looking to attract a different audience now that the show has split from Fox. He clearly setup future episodes with a new nemesis.
I don't know. Everything I've read suggests that this will be the last season of the show: both McFarlane and Grimes are working on McFarlane's new show Ted and none of the cast had their contracts renewed.

As for the "new nemesis", it seems that this enemy is located on the far side of Krill space. It doesn't seem like the Union would normally have a lot of interaction with them.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
“What is that thing?”
”I don’t know, but lets go in”
”Wait….. let’s bring the Admiral, Chief Engineer and Ships Doctor with us”
”What about Grimes?”
“Leave him.”
"Should we wear any kind of protective gear while exploring this alien ship?"
"Nah, what could go wrong?"

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
“What is that thing?”
”I don’t know, but lets go in”
”Wait….. let’s bring the Admiral, Chief Engineer and Ships Doctor with us”
”What about Grimes?”
“Leave him.”
"Should we wear any kind of protective gear while exploring this alien ship?"
"Nah, what could go wrong?"
“the Admiral seems to be infected with some sort of micro organism”
”Should we quarantine?”
”Nah!”

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
This was Seth McFarland's version of Alien I guess, but with some really really stupid choices.

Starting with the exploration of the ship without being suited up. Not quaranteening after returning (esp. the Admiral). then not putting him in some form of isolation when he starts changing.

I like the fact this is becoming more of serious SF show as opposed to the mix of crude comedy/drama it was when it started. But damn is it dark.

I noticed in teh beginning of the ep when they're talking to the other admiral some horible green screen effects. guess the increased budget didn't cover that.

Why didn't Isacc do something when he encountered the alien rather than just stand there looking at it. He could've grabbed it and restrained it, taken it to the brig, anything but what he did.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
Why didn't Isacc do something when he encountered the alien rather than just stand there looking at it. He could've grabbed it and restrained it, taken it to the brig, anything but what he did.
I got the feeling that he didn't know if the thing would recognize him as an artificial life form so he just stood still.

·
Cat God
17,883 Posts
Just watched "Mortality Paradox". Seeing as how the alien had just generated a mini-reality involving the Kaylons, I'm surprised that the crew didn't ask for help from their species.
Just what the Orville needed, the Q.

I predicted the main plot detail by the time they got to the plane. The only part I didn’t predict was who the alien species would be or that they had replaced one of the crew.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
So this one was a cross between TNG's The Royale by way of a friendly Q type alien, but worked better than it had any right to.

I enjoyed it, but I wish they gave us more time wuth the alien.

21 - 40 of 232 Posts