TiVo Community Forum banner
201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
It was a fitting series finale, if that's what it ends up being, but also potential for future storylines too.

If MacFarlane and Grimes have to leave the show because of their commitments to Ted, Family Guy, and American Dad, I think the show could do well having Kelly take over as captain and giving some of the other cast bigger roles.

It was nice to see Alara return if only briefly.

"All kidding aside."

·
LOAD"*",8,1
35,434 Posts
This last episode felt more like an epilogue, especially after such a massive episode nine. Not bad, just a little oddly light comparatively. I guess they didn’t want to leave the series on anything that might seem like a cliffhanger or a down note, so I suppose it wasn’t a bad idea.

So, they do have dress uniforms. Good to finally see them on what could be the final episode ever.

I thought Bortus could passably sing the last time he tried. What happened?

As soon as Gordon sat down with the guitar, I was afraid he’d start singing that song from The Last Unicorn again. ;)

·
Unknown Member
4,708 Posts
bad acting
I had been assuming she was a singer or a model or some kind of celebrity rather than a professional actor? But she did give good looks now & then.

A friend of Alan Ladd, late in his career, asked him one day at lunch in the studio cafeteria whether he had done any good scenes that day and he said, "no, but I got in a couple of good looks." That can be a pretty good morning's work.

·
Kermie Loves Elmo
7,274 Posts
It was a nice episode. I got the impression they are doing more seasons based on how it was talked about by Seth recently (was it at a comic con where he was on a video feed?).

Anyway - I think they did an exponentially better job at explaining the prime directive than Star Trek ever did.

·
Series 3
27,141 Posts
Same, but I could never figure out whether I hated the character or if it was just bad acting. I think it might have been both.
A combination of subpar acting and subpar writing, IMO.

It's not that her acting was Tommy Wiseau bad but in no way was it Patrick Stewart level.
But most of her interactions with the Senior Staff seemed forced.
As in I'm looking at her in the scene and wondering why she's even there in the first place.

I get why they felt they needed to include her as the writers were trying to make us connect with the character and care about what happens with her.

But they really didn't pull it off as well as could have been done.

Honestly, Yaphit should have been pissed off that she got more screen time than he did.

·
Hi. What is this?
10,440 Posts
She’s far from being the best of the bunch but I don’t think she stood out like a sore thumb either.
That's exactly how she seemed to me. She stuck out like a sore thumb.

She was (is?) Seth MacFarlane's girlfriend.
I had joked that the only reason she had gotten the job was because she was sleeping with Seth. It was a joke. I had no idea they were actually together.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
35,434 Posts
Same, but I could never figure out whether I hated the character or if it was just bad acting. I think it might have been both.
For me, it's a few factors. For one, the way the character was introduced into the mix was not graceful in the least. You have a full cast that you know well by this point, and then all of a sudden this new character is introduced and suddenly she's the center of attention in multiple episodes. A (bad) analogy would be making a mixed drink... you have added a bunch of flavors that work really well together, that balance each other out... then you decide at the last minute to dump a half a cup of something super sour into the mix. Had you added just a bit, the sour might have been an interesting subtle note along with everything else, but now all you notice is that sour taste.

Plus, she kind of felt a bit Mary Sue-ish. Despite having an attitude the size of Jupiter, she was instantly a welcomed member of the crew... she had these amazing abilities, including the "ability to see fourth dimensionally," she could sing... it's was really very grating after a bit.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
35,434 Posts
I get why they felt they needed to include her as the writers were trying to make us connect with the character and care about what happens with her.
That's it, I think. I am guessing they had a pre-defined ending for the character. Thus, their thought was they wanted the audience to feel something about this brand new character when she died, so let's include her as much as possible.

And it kind of worked for me. When she died, after being jammed down our throats, I did feel something... relief.

The strategy might have worked better for them if it was a full 22 episode season... let the audience gradually warm to this new character. 10 episodes (technically only nine, since she died in ep. 9) is too short to try that kind of thing.

201 - 220 of 234 Posts