TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,975 Posts
When Timmis is explaining the Kaylon history to Charly we're supposed to understand that all that stuff he's describing happened, even though they didn't show it happening during the flashbacks. He talked about learning to communicate, learning to "defend" (against the pain emitters I guess) and also something about arming themselves (I can't remember exactly what he said).

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,975 Posts
I expect they wanted to preserve the Kaylon as a very different species and keep the tension between them and the rest of the Union: giving them all feelings like Timmis would undermine that.

I agree that the battle scene dragged. It could have been 5 minutes shorter and had more punch.

Still another really good episode.

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,975 Posts
Didn't we just have a base infiltration episode? I felt like I was watching the same episode.
I said, well, I guess they're going to re-use the sets! But then I realized both infiltrations were into Moclan secret bases so I guess it makes sense they look the same: it's very on-brand for Moclus.
Especially since when we get down to it they are just machines. We wouldn't think twice about bombing gun emplacements or using EMP weapons against a computer. Just because they have a human shape shouldn't make a difference. The terminator had a human shape too.
I think if you find yourself agreeing with the oppressive race that abused the Kaylon badly enough that they decided genocide was a good idea, you probably should reconsider your position :)

On the other hand when they were showing how the Kaylon were treated and the corporate CEO who decided to hand out pain zappers to "fix" the problem of self-aware robots, I was definitely like, "oh that's exactly how we would do it, no question".

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,975 Posts
It was made clear that only the combination of Charly and Isaac could build it the first time. It's not clear that no one else could build it again. But anyway, the Kaylon didn't know any of that; clearly if they knew that they'd just kill one or both. They were just told that only Charly and Isaac together could hope to disarm it so both had to go to the surface. At least that's how I remember it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts