TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,089 Posts
It's a Seth McFarlane show.
Are you really expecting scientific accuracy?
I'm way behind the rest of you, so I'm not reading too far ahead in this thread, so hopefully I'm not smeeking, but... don't forget that "Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey" and "Cosmos: Possible Worlds" were also both (technically) Seth McFarlane shows. :)

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,089 Posts
Ok, kind of glad Isaac didn’t get to keep the emotions. I don’t know if I could have dealt with more of “up with people” Kaylons.

Anyone out there that didn’t see the whole all female crew ruse falling apart, raise your hands. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,089 Posts
This last episode felt more like an epilogue, especially after such a massive episode nine. Not bad, just a little oddly light comparatively. I guess they didn’t want to leave the series on anything that might seem like a cliffhanger or a down note, so I suppose it wasn’t a bad idea.

So, they do have dress uniforms. Good to finally see them on what could be the final episode ever.

I thought Bortus could passably sing the last time he tried. What happened?

As soon as Gordon sat down with the guitar, I was afraid he’d start singing that song from The Last Unicorn again. ;)

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,089 Posts
Same, but I could never figure out whether I hated the character or if it was just bad acting. I think it might have been both.
For me, it's a few factors. For one, the way the character was introduced into the mix was not graceful in the least. You have a full cast that you know well by this point, and then all of a sudden this new character is introduced and suddenly she's the center of attention in multiple episodes. A (bad) analogy would be making a mixed drink... you have added a bunch of flavors that work really well together, that balance each other out... then you decide at the last minute to dump a half a cup of something super sour into the mix. Had you added just a bit, the sour might have been an interesting subtle note along with everything else, but now all you notice is that sour taste.

Plus, she kind of felt a bit Mary Sue-ish. Despite having an attitude the size of Jupiter, she was instantly a welcomed member of the crew... she had these amazing abilities, including the "ability to see fourth dimensionally," she could sing... it's was really very grating after a bit.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,089 Posts
I get why they felt they needed to include her as the writers were trying to make us connect with the character and care about what happens with her.
That's it, I think. I am guessing they had a pre-defined ending for the character. Thus, their thought was they wanted the audience to feel something about this brand new character when she died, so let's include her as much as possible.

And it kind of worked for me. When she died, after being jammed down our throats, I did feel something... relief.

The strategy might have worked better for them if it was a full 22 episode season... let the audience gradually warm to this new character. 10 episodes (technically only nine, since she died in ep. 9) is too short to try that kind of thing.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,089 Posts
The last episode very much felt like a series finale to me. I know it was suppose to be. Hopefully they change their minds and there is a season 4/
I think it was written as a season finale, but one closed enough that it could also serve as a series finale as well.

Seth still gives renewal at about 50/50 odds, with viewership on Disney+ possibly a deciding factor. I imagine Hulu likes the fact that it's gotten overall very good reviews from both critics and fans, but the fact that it never cracked the streaming top ten is probably on their mind as well. That, and the extensive production time a show like this requires, and then having to now recapture the cast and fit the show into their schedules.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
42,089 Posts
Huh. In the original version of "Twice in a Lifetime," they... Wait, "original version?" Yeah, stay with me here.

As I was saying, in the original version of that episode, there was a paradox that got created. After arriving in the year 2015, Malloy sent a message into the future saying that he had been there 6 months and was trapped in the past. The episode continued, with the Orville traveling back, but to the year 2025, and encountered a Malloy that had settled in and hooked up with the girl from the cellphone and had a family and a job and all that. Failing to get Malloy to leave the year 2025 and go back to the future, the Orville then traveled back to 2015, but arrived a month after Malloy arrived in the past. They retrieved Malloy and went back to the future.

The paradox that was created that many (including myself) picked up on was that the message that caused them to go back to the past was sent 6 months after he arrived, meaning the Malloy they picked up from a month after he arrived hadn't sent the message, meaning he couldn't send the message, meaning - paradox.

Apparently, the episode has since been edited using ADR (automated dialog replacement - when actors go into the recording booth and re-perform their lines to get clean audio). The first change was to make the message that Malloy sent say that he was there three months when he sent the message, not 6 as in the original version. The second change was to the end of the episode, where LaMarr now says that "Gordon arrived four months ago" instead of "Gordon arrived about a month ago."

The captioning didn't get updated for either change... they still have the original lines. And while the ADR was fine for the change to the message, since it was just an audio message, the ADR to LaMarr's line was unfortunately very noticeable. (Like, as noticeable as the censored Sigourney Weaver line from "Galaxy Quest" - that noticeable.)

I noted the problem with the original episode, but can't take credit for noticing the changes... just watched this video that pointed it out. (It's a 5 minute video that says basically what I said above.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts