TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
Target demographic is the only thing that matters. The general public wants to see things fly like an aircraft, not a technically accurate depiction of a space craft.
There's something I remember from an old sci-fi documentary in the 80s that used old Flash Gordon serials as a reference for what they were saying: that the audience expects certain sounds when things happen onscreen. At the time nobody knew what a spaceship landing sounded like, but they DID know the sound that something big and heavy dropped into dirt sounded like, so that's the sound effect that was used when the spaceship landed. And something exploding makes an explosion sound, so even if the explosion onscreen was happening in space, the audience is expecting an explosion sound.

They extrapolated that further and said that now you would have a more realistic sound for a rocket taking off, not because of technology, but because audiences now know what a rocket taking off sounds like. And in the future when rockets taking off sound differently, we'll look back on the sci-fi show as being quaint for using that sound.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
Why didn't Isacc do something when he encountered the alien rather than just stand there looking at it. He could've grabbed it and restrained it, taken it to the brig, anything but what he did.
I got the feeling that he didn't know if the thing would recognize him as an artificial life form so he just stood still.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
14,135 Posts
For half this episode I was wondering how the aliens getting the Kaylon was fitting in to the rest of the episode. Then they tied it in. A very well done episode.

So Issac did something for Claire and she reciprocated. I guess that defines love. Too bad he couldn't hold on to the feelings. But I don't understans why they couldn't back up his memories and then restore them after the procedure. But then again I had the same question about C-3PO in Rise of Skywalker. And lo & behold R2 had an old back up and restored 3PO to most of his former self. A couple of lines of dialogue could've cleard that up.
Or a routine that detects when the emotions routine's been wiped and immediately re-enters it.
So LaMarr kept getting injured by Talla... but what about his previous partner (seen in S3E1)?

I told my wife he sleeps with every female alien on board, the Kirk/Riker of The Orville.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts