TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about this second episode. It was decent but it looks like lots of crew were 'dead'.
I found it to be just 'ok'. Part of the reason, is I went back and rewatched the first two seasons when season 3 started. And I find I really, really enjoyed (and miss) a lot of a sillier humor they worked into the show at first, and then tuned down. We seem to have lost that. We've gone full humorless serious sci fi, and when it's really good sci fi (as it has been off an on), it works out. But the silly humor helped to fill in the gaps and gave the show an extra aspect of entertainment. I hope it comes back. I know that some people thought it was "too much", but I feel it was "just right". ;)

"We need no longer fear the bananna!"

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
Honestly, I felt the episode was actually too long, and would have worked better as a two parter. I know that this means less in the streaming world, but the overall length of the episode, and the length of the battle scene, fell a bit into the trap of "ok, this fight's dragging on and on, let's get back to more plot". (Maybe it was just me).

Although Ted Danson suggesting we sit down with the Kaylon one by one and teach them ethics made me giggle, as if we've seen that somewhere before. ;)

(Kaylon running through absurd variations of the Trolly Problem could be good for a laugh - Absurd Trolley Problems )

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
One of the nice things about the Orville is that it's a familiar universe (very TNGy), yet not an established universe with a set future. So they can do things like upend the status quo without having to twist themselves in knots to put it back to match "established canon" at the end of the episode/season/series. The Star Trek universe can't really get away with big upsets like the shift from Kaylon vs Union+Moclan vs Kriill to Kaylon + Union vs Krill + Moclan. Discovery kinda tried to shoehorn universe changing story into the past, and when that didn't work terribly well, they jumped so far into the future as to bypass all existing canon, and that caused an entirely different set of problems.

Similarly, Orville they can get away with plot points similar to Star Trek, without it feeling like a rehash of an episode we've already seen, because at least they're not reusing plot points from within their own franchise. When Star Trek steals from an episode of Star Trek that stole from another episdoes of Star Trek, those of us that have see every episode of Star Trek kinda roll our eyes. But when Orville borrows a little from Star Wars, a little from Star Trek, a little from Enders Game, teases a little from The Good Place - it works out.

It's absolutely worthy of a fourth season. I really think McFarlane managed to create something that exceeded even his own vision here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts