TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S3 owners, go look at your manual. On the cover in 1-1/2" letters it says "Tivo HD." Underneath in 3/8" letters it says "SERIES 3 - Digital Media Recorder." However, inside it does address the "Tivo Series 3 ..."

·
What happened, TiVo?
3,638 Posts
The TivoHD *is* a Tivo Series 3. It says "Series 3" clearly all over it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Heh, at CES 2007 the TiVo booth handed out a tin of mints with "TiVo HD" on the top. I guess I should have noticed the annoucement back in January!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think vstone's point is that the original S3 is called Tivo HD also. The S3 I got in Nov says Tivo HD on the box. When someone on this forum refers to a model as the Tivo HD, or S3, you don't know which box they're actually referring to. Both terms could refer to either.

·
Premium Member
5,130 Posts
Rucker said:
I think vstone's point is that the original S3 is called Tivo HD also. The S3 I got in Nov says Tivo HD on the box. When someone on this forum refers to a model as the Tivo HD, or S3, you don't know which box they're actually referring to. Both terms could refer to either.
True, but I think it is commonly understood on this forum that people use "S3" to refer to the original version and "Tivo HD" to refer to the newer, less expensive box. Semantics aside, this seems like a logical way to distinguish between the two.

·
wait.. I did what?
14,227 Posts
and just to be a PITA, we could bypass all of this by noting that "Tivo_HD" with a space refers to Tivo High Def machines in general, and 'TivoHD" is the machine dubbed as such.

heck, it's a lose-lose proposition, I say model # prefixes may be in order.

I just don't see a way out of the confusion without all parties being flexible, and we know how often that happens ;)

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
They are both Series 3 and TiVoHD. It is just TiVo is marketing the one as Series 3, the other as TiVoHD.

·
Hardcore TiVo Geek
3,302 Posts
The original box is the 'Series3' and the new box is the 'TiVo HD' in the branding. I don't think it is that confusing - hardly anyone ever called the original box 'TiVo HD' since TiVo never used that anywhere but some of the packaging. And it was more coincidence - the juxtaposition of 'TiVo' and 'HD' on the box, etc. Not a deliberate branding as with the new box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts