TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

The Official New TV Show Thread

332K views 4K replies 172 participants last post by  Malcontent 
#1 ·
Inspired by The Official British TV Show Thread, and the complaints inside, I figured I would try to start a new TV show thread.

The purpose of the thread is to post any new show about to premiere or that has just premiered preferably with a trailer and a brief description. Malcontent has a great format in the British thread and I would like to try to keep it along those lines. Please use the official show threads for any in-depth discussion about the actual shows.

It has been a great way to discover new TV shows people might not be aware of especially since the focus isn't on local shows only.

#2 ·
'Hyde & Seek' - Australian

When his best mate is killed in a seemingly random attack, Detective Gary Hyde (Matt Nable) vows to bring the killers to justice. Together with his new partner Claire McKenzie (Emma Hamilton), Gary uncovers a criminal underbelly that will threaten his life, endanger his young family and cause him to question everything he believes in. In a world where crime has no borders and everyone has something to hide, Gary and Claire might catch the criminals but will they lose their loved ones in the process?
The first episode is available.

#3 ·
'Deep Water' - Australia

Mini-Series

The first episode is available via magic.

Taken from here

Detectives Tori Lustigman and Nick Manning are assigned a brutal murder case in Bondi, where they begin to uncover mounting evidence to suggest the killing is connected to a spate of unexplained deaths, "suicides" and disappearances throughout the 80s and 90s. Haunted by the disappearance of her teenage brother, Tori's fascination with the case soon turns to fixation. When more ritualistic murders occur with the same bizarre signature, Tori and Nick will need to put their relationships, their careers and their lives on the line to finally reveal the truth.

#4 ·
'Zapped!'

Brian Weaver, an online data marketing assistant (even he doesn't know what that is) finds himself abruptly transported to a parallel world. Fortunately, there's a pub. There he meets the owner, Herman (a former warrior) plus a handful of regulars: Barbara (a hopeless soothsayer), Steg (an armchair revolutionary) and Howell (a brain-fried Wizard). Brian is desperate to get home, and his new acquaintances are no help at all. Instead he finds himself being sucked into a world he doesn't understand, full of psychopathic Fairies, Shell Men, seductive Demi-Fins, vicious Throcks and the frighteningly unpredictable side-effects of Howell's magical powers. It's even worse than being an online data marketing assistant.

I couldn't find a trailer for this show. It's on the 'Dave' channel.

http://dave.uktv.co.uk/shows/zapped-1/

#7 · (Edited)
'The Wrong Girl'

Great job? Tick. Great best friend? Tick. Great flatmate? Tick. So what could possibly go wrong? Lily, the producer of a cooking segment on a morning television show called The Breakfast Bar, finds herself torn between two very different men.

A contemporary romantic drama, the show follows modern woman Lily as she chooses between two guys – one too good to be true and the other so wrong he just might be Mr. Right.

Celebrating the hiccups that life throws at us, we follow Lily as she deals with workplace challenges, good dates, bad dates, needy parents, friendships and the "what the hell am I even doing here?" moments.
The first 2 episodes are available via magic.

#8 · (Edited)
'The Secret Daughter'

Jessica Mauboy portrays a part-time country pub singer whose chance meeting with a wealthy city hotelier triggers a series of events that will change her life forever. A feel-good drama which explores the very different Australian worlds of 'the haves' and 'the have nots', The Secret Daughter is full of heart, humour, romance and plenty of music. They say you can't choose your family, but what happens when a family chooses you?

#9 · (Edited)
'Doctor Doctor'

After a spectacular fall from grace, high-flying heart surgeon Dr. Hugh Knight receives a life-changing punishment from the Medical Tribunal - he is forced to work for a year as a country GP in his former home town of Whyhope.

Doctor Doctor follows Hugh's attempt to rebuild his world in the town he has spent his whole life running away from. Now the only way to salvage his brilliant career is to work as a lowly GP in an under-resourced, small-town hospital surrounded by estranged family, former friends, crazed colleagues, oddball patients, jealous brothers and a newlywed ex-girlfriend.
The first 4 episodes are available via magic.

#13 ·
Wolf Creek - Australian - Mini Series

Originally ran in Australia back in May, Pop will be airing the 6 part mini series starting on 10/14/16

Wolf Creek follows Eve (Lucy Fry), a young American tourist whose family is murdered in the outback, beginning a high stakes game of cat-and-mouse as she seeks revenge on psychopath Mick Taylor (John Jarratt).

#15 · (Edited)
'Tomorrow When the War Began'

Based on the era-defining novels by John Marsden, Tomorrow When the War Began – the Series, tells the story of a group of teenage friends who, upon their return from a remote camping trip find themselves thrust into the middle of a war no one saw coming.

Completely unprepared and cut off from everything they knew before, they must confront the frightening reality that they are now among the few remaining free Australians left to stand up to the invading army, and the only ones who can possibly save themselves and their imprisoned families.

But how do you keep fighting when all you have has been taken from you?
The first season aired a few months ago and is available via magic.

#17 · (Edited)
'800 Words'

A recently widowed father, quits his job as a popular 800 word columnist for a top selling Sydney newspaper. Over the internet he buys a house on an impulse in a remote New Zealand seaside town. He then has to break the news to his two teenage kids who just lost their mum, and now face an even more uncertain future. But the colourful and inquisitive locals ensure his dream of a fresh start does not go to plan.
Currently in it's second season.

#18 · (Edited)
'The Brokenwood Mysteries'

The Brokenwood Mysteries comprises four two-hour murder mystery stories set in a seemingly quiet country town where the town's newest resident, Detective Inspector Mike Shepherd, finds that murder lurks in even the most homely location.
It's a New Zealand crime/mystery drama. It's very good.

I mentioned it in the other thread a year ago. I thought it was worth noting again in this new thread.

It's in it's second season.

#20 ·
As I commented in the other thread, it started out great and then devolved into discussions and arguments rather than the introduction of new shows. I wanted to start a new thread and am very pleased that someone did. I would just like to toss out a suggestion if I may - What about renaming this "The Official New Non-US TV Show Thread" (or something similar)?.

There are always new threads created for new and upcoming shows in the US and I would love to see this one dedicated to "others" - and for everyone to know it.

Thoughts?

#21 ·
I'd be fine with that, fwiw. Doesn't matter too much either way.

If any posts are made in the super-official British-only thread, I'm sure one of us will copy and paste the details over here, so that all new non-us shows are all conveniently posted in a central thread.

#23 ·
As I commented in the other thread, it started out great and then devolved into discussions and arguments rather than the introduction of new shows. I wanted to start a new thread and am very pleased that someone did. I would just like to toss out a suggestion if I may - What about renaming this "The Official New Non-US TV Show Thread" (or something similar)?.

There are always new threads created for new and upcoming shows in the US and I would love to see this one dedicated to "others" - and for everyone to know it.

Thoughts?
I thought about doing it that way, but figured you would run into issues like the other thread especially as shows are run in the US from other parts of the world like Wolf Creek for example.

I personally don't care if only non-US shows get posted here, but figured why restrict it? Yes shows get their own specific thread, but that really only helps if you know about the show. I don't see the harm in posting a trailer for a US show especially if it isn't on a regular network every one checks. I don't think this is going to cause the non-US shows to get missed. After all it generally will be one post dedicated to the show with hopefully a trailer at which point it becomes easy to skip over.

#25 ·
I've got several dramas stacked up waiting to watch. More into the docu and some reality stuff right now as it takes less of my time and attention.

New series of Grand Tours of the Scottish Isles, Great Continental Railway Journeys and Great British Bake Off on BBC and Australian Survivor on TEN Network.