TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,871 Posts
I didn't make it through the first episode of Pandora. <snip> Barely made it through the 2nd episode of Reef Break, undecided whether I'll watch a 3rd.
Watched all of Pandora, just to be "fair". Still a waste of time.

Reef Break is the most stupid, ridiculous, makes -zero- sense show I have ever seen. Love it!

Seriously, Reef Break doesn't even try. They fight refinery explosions with fire extinguishers, terrorists with a drunk FBI agent, and everyone is having an affair with everyone else. More than once, there's been a complicated story line with no way out, and in the next scene, everyone's hanging around drinking Mai Tai's, and high-fiving each other. It's like the writers are on the clock, and at 5:00, they punch out.

And yet I watch. :confused:

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,871 Posts
Epix is supposed to be on DirecTV, as of this past May...
It's an additional $5/month. I already pay for the premium package (HBO, SHO, etc), I refuse to pay more for individual channels. Include it or not.

I got a message in DirecTV that Epix is in a free view right now. It didn't say for how long.
And it is. I set Godfather of Harlem to record tonight.
I noticed that on the message screen. The problem is, if I like it, what next? Because see above.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,871 Posts
'Lincoln Rhyme: Hunt for the Bone Collector' - NBC/Hulu
Officially starts 01-10-2020. The first episode is available early via streaming or on demand.
Read most of the books, really good series. Which of course means nothing.

Vaguely recall a movie (Jolie & Denzel?) many years ago, which wasn't very good.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,871 Posts
I agree and they link to tvmaze which is my daily go to for the shows I watch.
I wish I could Like this a few dozen more times. I have gotten absolutely hooked on tvmaze. What a great way to organize my upcoming shows!
Been playing around with tvmaze. It certainly has a fresher look than my go-to 90s era FutonCritic.

Is there a way to get the calendar view to show times as 8:00, as versus 20:00?

TIA.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,871 Posts
I agree and they link to tvmaze which is my daily go to for the shows I watch.
I wish I could Like this a few dozen more times. I have gotten absolutely hooked on tvmaze. What a great way to organize my upcoming shows!
Been playing around with tvmaze. It certainly has a fresher look than my go-to 90s era FutonCritic.
Is there a way to get the calendar view to show times as 8:00, as versus 20:00?
I asked them about the clock, and they said it's an oft-suggested request, and they are considering it. Along with a dozen other suggestions.

Next question: Any easy way to print the monthly calendar? There is no formal Print button, and printing the page is a jumbled mess. I use FutonCritic also, and it's easy to print a month at a time. I use this to add new series to my DVRs, and to make sure everything is in the To-Do List.

Having added all my series to TVMaze, it is a much better looking product, but printing is mission-critical for me.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,871 Posts
I'm curious what people are doing with tvmaze and similar sites. What do you get from adding all your shows to a list there?

It sounds like organizing your weekly watching, but for me, Tivo means turning it on and seeing what's waiting for me. Yeah, Netflix and Prime have to be polled separately and I often don't see shows on the night they come out.

I do go to futon a few times a year to check for new shows. And epguides occasionally if I'm curious how many eps are left.
I watch very little streaming, and still use TiVo (in addition to DirecTV Genie)... so why you ask...

I enter all the series I watch on FutonCritic. It gives me a calendar of upcoming broadcasts. It's accuracy is close to 100%.

I like to make sure that every show that is supposed to record, does record. DVRs aren't perfect (well, their guide data, that is), and while 98% accuracy may be good, I want 100%. So every week I print out the next couple weeks according to FC, and compare to my DVRs To-Do Lists. I find TiVo is about 95% accurate, and DirecTV is about 98.5% spot-on. Having said that, Billions was not set to record on DirecTV this past Sunday. No idea why, a rare miss for DTV.

Also, I may have added a new series to my watch list several weeks before, well before the guides have it, so using FC reminds me to finally set an SP when it's ready to record.

It's just being anal/OCD about my TV watching.

I use MetaCritic for new series. I check it every couple weeks, looking at the next six weeks or so. Adding any new shows I want to try to FC.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,871 Posts
Agree with the discussion above--both points of view. One of the changes I've made in my viewing habits, especially in regards to network Sci-Fi series, it calling it quits sooner rather than later.

I used to try to stick it out until the end of each season. And ended up disappointed in the season, and lack of resolution. Now, if a SF show doesn't keep me hooked, I just drop it. Like ripping off a bandaid, it's easier to just get it over with.

Often I'll continue reading the thread, and find those who stuck with it wish they hadn't. It's rare to find a show I dropped, and people talking about how good it got.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,871 Posts
Meerkat Manor: Rise of the Dynasty premieres this Saturday on BBCA.

BBC America is bringing back the 2000s nature/reality series Meerkat Manor, which followed meerkats in the Kalahari Desert and aired on the BBC and, in the US, on Animal Planet, from 2005 to 2008.

Meerkat Manor: Rise of the Dynasty will premiere in 2021 and follow "descendants of the legendary meerkat matriarch, Flower," according to the network.

BBC America said it has ordered 13 episodes, which will be 30 minutes each. The original production company, Oxford Scientific Films, is returning.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts