TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Yeah, I'm halfway through and not sure how I feel about the show. I love Chiklis, but seeing him scared and cowering at times rattles me (I'm too used to him as Vic Mackey in The Shield I guess).
I know him as a warm and fuzzy police chief in the comedy-drama "The Commish". I can't imagine what I've heard about him in "The Shield". Other than that I know him as Curly of The Three Stooges and one of the Fantastic Four.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I absolutely get the "I don't want to invest time in a show that is likely to get canceled". I look at it differently. If that show gives me 8 or 13 hours of enjoyment, even if it's a cliffhanger that never gets resolved, I'm fine with that. After a couple of days I forget about it and move on.
That's how I look at it. I regard any new series as a limited series and if it's like a movie and wraps up its storyline quickly, fine. If I enjoyed it, then I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
There's a lot of blowback here, claiming it's ripping off both Spitting Image & DC Follies... but it was created by Robert Smigel, so I'm willing to give it a shot.
I liked the special they did last year. Kamala Harris thought Joe Biden was dead and they made that funny.

If it lasts long enough, it may be all we have once "SNL" finishes its season.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
While I'm annoyed by them as well, I understand why totally. After all the site isn't a public services, it's there to make money by selling ads, and if people opt out of ads, then that defeats the purpose. The alternative is, a paywall, like the NYT or WaPo. I'm not sure which I'd rather do to be honest. You still get ads after the paywall sometimes to.
I got an ad blocker not just because certain ads caused serious problems but because the newspaper I subscribe to has decided not to print one day a week, forcing me to read it online, and before I got the ad blocker, the ads were so distracting I couldn't concentrate. Customer service at that newspaper is non-existent, so that's that. You can have ads that don't distract, but if you choose not to, you get punished. It's not my fault the online-only Saturday edition doesn't seem to have any paid advertising, but I would read it if there was, and of course I actually pay more attention to the ads in the printed newspaper than I'm sure most people do. Now some sites like this one insist I turn off the ad blocker. I can click on an x and get rid of Seth Rogen and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Nicki Minaj having a baby or Ariana Grande doing whatever.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I love sites like that. You either allow ads on their site or they won't let you read anything on their site. Cool. Now I will never visit their site!
Whatever site that was, it's what came up first in Google search results. It said in the article she wrote for the New York Daily News. There were many choices for seeing that article.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
We need to get back on topic.

"Fantasy Island" I'm going to try, though the Roddy McDowall version couldn't live up to Ricardo Montalban. It was hard for me to watch certain "Star Trek" movies after seeing that series.

As much as I like Zooey Deschanel, I refuse to watch any show where Michael Bolton is going to sing.

Even the Michael Bolton songs I actually like are so much better when done by others. Percy Sledge on "When a Man Loves a Woman", for example, and Laura Branigan on "How Am I Supposed to Live Without You?" And only Ray Charles should do "Georgia on My Mind".

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Well. For example, Percy Sledge was the first to record When a Man Loves a Woman. Just because Bolton sang it later doesn't make it a Bolton song.

And Georgia on my Mind is from 1930 and Hoagy Carmichael. A bit before Bolton's time.

One of our three ain't bad.
I'm not sure what terminology you're looking for. However, I did find out later he wrote the third one. And didn't bother to thank Laura Branigan when for some reason he won an award when it was his performance. Because back then no one had ever heard of him.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Abbott Elementary - 12/7

I like it enough to keep watching, but the people on it sure are unpleasant. The one teacher is quite idealistic and I have to hope she gets what she wants, but she keeps getting shot down.

And the principal makes the job all about her, doing nothing to help the school.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I'm sold on "Bel Air" after seeing the commercials last night, except for one thing., I don't want to pay. I found out only the first one is free. Maybe sometime in the future when there's more reason to spend the money.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
There is a free Peacock tier which includes dreaded ads.

I’m sold on Bel Air after watching the first episode. I need to find out if the ad-free service is worth it.
I'll look into that. But when I did a search it told me only the first one was free.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts