TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started watching this show before Christmas, seen about 3 episodes so far. Have they ever actually explained what the deal is with the characters talking to the camera? At first I just figured it was like Malcolm in the Middle or Saved by the Bell, only more frequent, but then I got really curious watching "The Injury" episode last night when they wouldn't let the cameras into the CAT scan room. Is there more to that aspect of the show that I'd understand if I'd been watching from the beginning?

·
TV-holic, improving
2,278 Posts
jeff125va said:
Is there more to that aspect of the show that I'd understand if I'd been watching from the beginning?
Cameras follow them around and every week they vote one person out of the...no wait, that's a different show.

Fun fact: Jennifer Fischer stared in another mockumentary, written and directed by her, called LolliLove.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jschuur said:
Cameras follow them around and every week they vote one person out of the...no wait, that's a different show.

Fun fact: Jennifer Fischer stared in another mockumentary, written and directed by her, called LolliLove.
It must be from her guest appearances on Six Feet Under that she's so familiar to me, but I just can't remember the story with her character on that show - can anyone refresh my memory? She played Sharon Kinney on the first two episodes of the final season, which aired this past summer.

·
TV-holic, improving
2,278 Posts
jeff125va said:
It must be from her guest appearances on Six Feet Under that she's so familiar to me, but I just can't remember the story with her character on that show - can anyone refresh my memory?
She was the girl Rico dated briefly that didn't call him back after he took her to a wedding and then he couldn't take the hint and had her landlord let him into her apartment to check up on her.

·
Smelly Pirate Hooker
1,161 Posts
Thankfully, there is no breaking of the fourth wall in this show, per se. I hate that.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jschuur said:
She was the girl Rico dated briefly that didn't call him back after he took her to a wedding and then he couldn't take the hint and had her landlord let him into her apartment to check up on her.
Yeah, thanks! I knew she must have had a pretty significant role because she seemed so familiar to me. I remember that episode of Cold Case (but not her in it) but that wouldn't have made her seem so familiar.

Makes sense that it's a mockumentary, although aside from when they're actually talking to the cameras, they don't usually seem to be acting unnaturally like people do when cameras are on them. Of course, I've only seen three episodes. Love this show so far though.

·
4 8 15 16 23 42
13,743 Posts
jeff125va said:
Yeah, thanks! I knew she must have had a pretty significant role because she seemed so familiar to me. I remember that episode of Cold Case (but not her in it) but that wouldn't have made her seem so familiar.

Makes sense that it's a mockumentary, although aside from when they're actually talking to the cameras, they don't usually seem to be acting unnaturally like people do when cameras are on them. Of course, I've only seen three episodes. Love this show so far though.
It's more documentary than reality. If you ever watch the baby shows or Trauma: Life in the ER on Discovery, it's closer to those than a "reality show". The aim isn't Wife Swap here.

Greg

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
60,902 Posts
jeff125va said:
Just started watching this show before Christmas, seen about 3 episodes so far. Have they ever actually explained what the deal is with the characters talking to the camera? At first I just figured it was like Malcolm in the Middle or Saved by the Bell, only more frequent, but then I got really curious watching "The Injury" episode last night when they wouldn't let the cameras into the CAT scan room. Is there more to that aspect of the show that I'd understand if I'd been watching from the beginning?
Just an FYI in case you weren't aware: This show is a remake of a very successful British sitcom by the same name. The concept is that a documentary film crew is there in the office, presumably making some kind of film about life in their particular office. We are never told what the point of the film crew is and it doesn't really matter. Ultimately, it's just a very creative way of filming a sitcom and telling the story.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gchance said:
It's more documentary than reality. If you ever watch the baby shows or Trauma: Life in the ER on Discovery, it's closer to those than a "reality show". The aim isn't Wife Swap here.

Greg
I get the concept now as devdogaz explained it in the next post. I've never seen any of those shows, so I'm not sure what you mean. I guess I'm just saying I'm not sure if I would have realized that the characters were aware of the cameras if not for the obvious times when they're looking directly at the camera or talking to the documentary guys. Even without the documentary aspect, it doesn't have the feel of a typical sit-com so it's hard to say.

·
Nerp Nerp
1,932 Posts
jschuur said:
(/hijack on)

I read your post and it took me back - wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. God that show was friggin brilliant....

(/hijack off)

·
Registered
397 Posts
danielhart said:
(/hijack on)

I read your post and it took me back - wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. God that show was friggin brilliant....

(/hijack off)
heh heh heh

you said hijack off...

heh heh heh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts