TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 231 Posts

· LOAD"*",8,1
35,511 Posts
I'm blown away that anybody who's been around for the past 20 years or so is blown away by a foreigner doing a perfect American accent, since it seems like half the people doing perfect American accents on American television are foreigners (including Anna Torv and Nico Parker). ;)
I'm blown away that you were blown away that I was blown away... ;) But seriously, it surprised me especially given her age and how quickly she mastered a very good American accent, that's all.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
I get the cinematic reason they didn't want to have this spread by spores, but I think it makes it a little harder to believe the cordyceps infection would spread as fast as it did without some sort of airborne component.

There was a lot of people online who outright slammed the casting choice of Ellie, simply because Bella Ramsey didn't look like the computer rendered character from the games. I'm hoping those people shut the hell up now, because I think even though she doesn't look like the game's Ellie, Bella managed to nail the character of Ellie, and that's all that matters. (I never watched Game of Thrones, so I was blown away to learn after watching that Bella naturally has a British accent... she apparently learned an American accent just for the filming of this.)

Pedro Pascal was, of course, amazing as Joel. Anna Torv did a very good job as well as Tess. About the only one I wasn't quite as sold with was Nico Parker's interpretation of Sarah...The game's Sarah seemed a little bit of a softer "daddy's little girl" character than Nico's interpretation of the character.
I'm so glad I didn't play the game so I can mostly ignore people's comparisons to the game and take the show as it's own thing :)

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
I'm blown away that anybody who's been around for the past 20 years or so is blown away by a foreigner doing a perfect American accent, since it seems like half the people doing perfect American accents on American television are foreigners (including Anna Torv and Nico Parker). ;)
I'm always blown away by the need to have a foreigner play an American character with 300M Americans in this country :). I always thought it was probably because foreigners must work cheaper or something.

· I am Groot!
59,034 Posts
I'm blown away...by, um, er...

No, wait, I've lost track...

I remember that show that was on CBS Sundays (because it was the first show I liked that I ever stopped watching because it was on CBS Sundays, the one network that refused to take football into account when scheduling their evenings, thus rendering DVRs useless) about 20 years ago, with Anthony LaPaglia, Poppy Montgomery, and Marianne Jean-Baptiste, all Brits or Aussies, playing Americans with perfect accents. The LaPaglia brothers (Jonathan starred in Seven Days) were especially impressive to me; the fact that they did not come from Brooklyn but rather Adelaide, ahem, blew me away.

· LOAD"*",8,1
35,511 Posts
I'm so glad I didn't play the game so I can mostly ignore people's comparisons to the game and take the show as it's own thing :)
I'm trying to put aside the game as much as possible. In many cases, this is easy since it's been years since I did a play through of the game. The chase scene and death of Sarah, however, was such a searing moment in the game that it was very hard for me to put that aside.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts

I remember that show that was on CBS Sundays (because it was the first show I liked that I ever stopped watching because it was on CBS Sundays, the one network that refused to take football into account when scheduling their evenings, thus rendering DVRs useless) about 20 years ago, with Anthony LaPaglia, Poppy Montgomery, and Marianne Jean-Baptiste, all Brits or Aussies, playing Americans with perfect accents. The LaPaglia brothers (Jonathan starred in Seven Days) were especially impressive to me; the fact that they did not come from Brooklyn but rather Adelaide, ahem, blew me away.
You just weren't using your DVR right (there's a thing called padding :)). I've never once missed a show on CBS on Sunday nights because I know going in how they handle things during football (and during certain Golf events too) season, and just pad ahead of time an hour which 99% of the time is enough to cover any overages.

The one show that impresses me is Ghosts where the lead has a near perfect American accent (though, it's the generic American accent most of them use...not the regional accent she should have (as it takes place in a northern suburb of NYC if I recall).

· I am Groot!
59,034 Posts
You just weren't using your DVR right (there's a thing called padding :)). I've never once missed a show on CBS on Sunday nights because I know going in how they handle things during football (and during certain Golf events too) season, and just pad ahead of time an hour which 99% of the time is enough to cover any overages.
For me it's a matter of principle. It's not MY job to work out the network's schedule; it's theirs. And if they don't want DVR veiwers in their audience, I'm happy to oblige.
The one show that impresses me is Ghosts where the lead has a near perfect American accent (though, it's the generic American accent most of them use...not the regional accent she should have (as it takes place in a northern suburb of NYC if I recall).
She did spend several years refining it on iZombie.

You can never really go wrong with a Newscaster Standard accent, since these days people speak with it everywhere, no matter what the "local accent" might be. I've known people from New York City, Georgia, Chicago, etc., who speak with Newscaster Standard accents. (And of course others who proudly flaunt their local accents!)

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
For me it's a matter of principle. It's not MY job to work out the network's schedule; it's theirs. And if they don't want DVR veiwers in their audience, I'm happy to oblige.
I've always thought CBS smart for programming how they do. They get all the overflow from the NFL games. In the old days people would stick with CBS and there's a definite correlation in the rating on CBS for 60 Minutes for example when they have the late games to when they don't. People would stick with the CBS schedule. I don't think the networks as a whole even LIKE the idea of DVRs and spent 20 years trying to defeat them (and are finally succeeding with streaming). So from a business standpoint this made the most sense, as they either get people who will watch live (and thus watch commercials) or they just pad their shows. I do get where you are coming from though, but it's such an easy solution to fix, it's not even worth bellyaching about it...though many do :)

She did spend several years refining it on iZombie.

You can never really go wrong with a Newscaster Standard accent, since these days people speak with it everywhere, no matter what the "local accent" might be. I've known people from New York City, Georgia, Chicago, etc., who speak with Newscaster Standard accents. (And of course others who proudly flaunt their local accents!)
Never watched iZombie....this is the first I've seen of her. The thing is, while there ARE people in the NY area that speak with Newscaster Standard, it's a very small number...usually non-natives or people who try and NOT sound like they are from here. It annoys me to some extent, because I "love" regional accents. With that said. usually people trying to "speak" like a New Yorker, either completely exaggerate things, or try so hard that is sounds like someone trying too hard to sound authentic. I remember the discussion when Mare of Easttown was on and people were making fun of most of the cast's attempt at an E. Pennsylvania accent. But I give them a whole lot of credit for trying, rather than just going with the Newscaster Standard accent which would have been easy. It also amazes me that no shows that take place in Chicago have people that sound like they are from Chicago either. I remember watching Chicago Hope and ER and nobody had a Chicago accent.

· I am Groot!
59,034 Posts
I don't think the networks as a whole even LIKE the idea of DVRs and spent 20 years trying to defeat them (and are finally succeeding with streaming). So from a business standpoint this made the most sense, as they either get people who will watch live (and thus watch commercials) or they just pad their shows. I do get where you are coming from though, but it's such an easy solution to fix, it's not even worth bellyaching about it...though many do :)
Well, streaming isn't saving the networks...it's killing them. And yes, there's an easy solution...don't watch CBS Sundays (although they've made it doubly easy; it's been many years since I've even been tempted. My joke is that CBS is for people too old to use a DVR).
Never watched iZombie....this is the first I've seen of her. The thing is, while there ARE people in the NY area that speak with Newscaster Standard, it's a very small number...usually non-natives or people who try and NOT sound like they are from here. It annoys me to some extent, because I "love" regional accents. With that said. usually people trying to "speak" like a New Yorker, either completely exaggerate things, or try so hard that is sounds like someone trying too hard to sound authentic. I remember the discussion when Mare of Easttown was on and people were making fun of most of the cast's attempt at an E. Pennsylvania accent. But I give them a whole lot of credit for trying, rather than just going with the Newscaster Standard accent which would have been easy. It also amazes me that no shows that take place in Chicago have people that sound like they are from Chicago either. I remember watching Chicago Hope and ER and nobody had a Chicago accent.
The people I know from around the country who speak in Newscaster Standard are academics, and I suspect among the kind of people who grow up to become academics there's a desire, conscious or unconscious, not to sound "provincial." The same thing happens, or at least used to happen, in France, where people who speak with a regional (i.e., non-Parisian) accent would be mocked.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
The people I know from around the country who speak in Newscaster Standard are academics, and I suspect among the kind of people who grow up to become academics there's a desire, conscious or unconscious, not to sound "provincial." The same thing happens, or at least used to happen, in France, where people who speak with a regional (i.e., non-Parisian) accent would be mocked.
I was going to say that most of the people I knew who didn't want to "sound" like they were from the area, were English teachers. I remember one English teacher I had who HATED the local Brooklyn accent so much that she made the kids in our class say hard the hard R. For example...."Don't say 'sewah', say "sewerrrr" I always wanted to say to her, "You do realize that people in England use the soft "R" too. And they invented the language. But I never wanted to have to stay after school for being a smart alek :)

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
I'll never forget my first day in Rockaway at age ten, surrounded by the neighborhood kids. "Say WAT-UH!" And we'd reply, "Water." And they'd burst out laughing.
I always tell the story and probably have here, but when I moved from Brooklyn to Mesa, AZ people would make fun of our New Yawk accents. I laughed, it was fun. My dad though, started adding an R to words that didn't even require an R, just to try and sound local. Not only enunciating the R in "water" or butter", but adding an R to "pizza" and "plaza" Like, "I'd like a large sausage pizzar" He's been out there more than 40 years now and I still hear him saying it sometimes.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,071 Posts
My wife's Infectious Disease team was discussing this very topic, because I had the same thought. There are a couple of possibilities: that the fungus WAS airborne at the beginning, but has mutated in the twenty years that we skipped. There's also another theory floating around online that seems plausible: https://www.gamesradar.com/the-last-of-us-tv-show-hbo-outbreak-theory/
That's a really interesting theory. And based on the clues in that article, it seems very plausible.

On a completely unrelated note, how is it possible that the world's largest flour mill is in Jakarta, Indonesia, nowhere near massive fields of wheat like we have in the central US.

Without a Trace. Good show!

· Registered
22,215 Posts
Just given the pandemic that we recently went through, we were hearing stories about a virus in China for weeks, then there was a case or two confirmed in the US, then tons of people started dying in Italy, then it started to kill people in NYC, etc. It had a progression. How did this cordyceps fungus go from everyone thinking things were normal in the morning to all hell had broken loose by that night?
I was thinking this same thing while watching the episode in that it wouldn't evolve nearly that quickly. Also (Walking Dead Spoiler'ish) I think the seemingly never ending/concluding Walking Dead has made me gun-shy about getting involved in these post-apocalyptic-zombie shows as I fear there will never be any closure on anything.

· I am Groot!
59,034 Posts
I was thinking this same thing while watching the episode in that it wouldn't evolve nearly that quickly. Also (Walking Dead Spoiler'ish) I think the seemingly never ending/concluding Walking Dead has made me gun-shy about getting involved in these post-apocalyptic-zombie shows as I fear there will never be any closure on anything.
From what the showrunners have said, I don't think that will be a problem here...they've said they see it running exactly three seasons.

· Hinky
26,332 Posts
Hubby and I were watching an old episode of Miranda (a delightful British sitcom) the other day and there was an American character. The accent was so over the top (New York) that we thought it must be fake. I looked up the actor, and he is indeed American. The accent could still be fake though.

I'm not aware of any American actors in British shows faking an English accent.... (I'm sure there are plenty, I just don't know them)

41 - 60 of 231 Posts