TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

The Good Place | S04E01 | OAD 9/26/2019 | "A Girl from Arizona"

13K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  sushikitten 
#1 ·
Here we go. The final season.

Apparently this was supposed to be a one-hour, two-part premiere like prior seasons, but NBC decided to split it into two weeks for some reason. Overall I'm down with that, because it means the show runs for a week longer, but it does feel like we need to get that second half-hour out of the way to really get the ball rolling. As a result, I thought this one leaned more towards "clever" on the "clever/funny" scale -- but there were some laughs, and it was pretty darn clever.

I really liked how quickly the whole system was put under stress by the four new subjects, even if one of them was a Bad Place ringer. I actually wouldn't have minded more of the deadpan Linda (Michael's dejected, "Oh Linda!" cracked me up), but having her being a Bad Place plant -- and one we've met before -- was a nice twist. (Although I really didn't understand their impatience to make her excited to be there. Wouldn't becoming a better boring person still count as a win?). And this was a great use of Simone's backstory. Of course she would (think she was) self-aware of what was going on. It's a cool way to make her a problem without subverting the fact that we know she is a good person already, and not disposed to being problematic.

One of the benefits of this being the last season is that the show doesn't need to worry about burning out some of the recurring characters, so we'll probably see more of them. It'll be fun to have more of Sean, Derek, Mindy, and the Judge than we usually get (I presume). All those actors make a meal out of their scenes.

And the premiere's podcast episode is already up! It's The Good Place season, everyone.

See less See more
#4 ·
So happy to have this show back! I hope we get all the recurring characters, especially Trevor from the bad place (Adam Scott). I figure at some point they are going to get Chidi and Simone making doe eyes and Eleanor all but ruining the plan. Then again, that seems too obvious and this show is usually much more clever than that!

#25 ·
Interestingly, the only reason I got the joke about the song was because I've heard about it on the internet. The ads have never aired in this area for some reason. I wonder whether there are others like me that have never actually heard those ads and wouldn't get the joke.
Same here. I only know it from people complaining online. I think my kids were clueless.

Cool writing detail mentioned on the podcast:.
I hate to be "that guy" but there really shouldn't be spoilers for the podcast in the episode threads.

#27 ·
Interestingly, the only reason I got the joke about the song was because I've heard about it on the internet. The ads have never aired in this area for some reason. I wonder whether there are others like me that have never actually heard those ads and wouldn't get the joke.
I'm another who has heard "about" the ad for years as it's been mentioned in various media, but I don't think I've ever heard/seen the actual ad. Kind of makes me wonder what other jokes like that which are "in" jokes because people who live in NY or LA think the thing is ubiquitous but it's not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.