TiVo Community Forum banner
101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,191 Posts
I feel like the last three books are more like a trilogy, while the first 6 books were each more individual stories. Obviously they are all sequential and tell a single story ultimately but the seventh and eighth books seemed less complete on their own than the first six. So maybe it makes sense to do the last three as three movies or something like that. Hopefully they aren't forced to try to shove all three of the final books into a single movie or even 10-ep season.

·
All About Footwork
31,989 Posts
huh...there is no way I would buy the books now since I watched the show. I know this because I have the Game of Thrones books languishing on my Kindle...heck, even The Princess Bride book is sitting there unread for more than a decade.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,191 Posts
That's too bad: there's a lot more in the books than in the shows. Plus I wouldn't compare them to GoT: not only are they not nearly so long, but the series is actually finished :)

·
Registered
26,869 Posts
huh...there is no way I would buy the books now since I watched the show.
That seems like an odd position, as the story clearly didn't end with the season 6 finale. Don't you have unanswered questions? Like anything and everything about the protomolecule, the missing ships, laconia, etc?

·
All About Footwork
31,989 Posts
My best experience is with the movie "The Godfather". It's my favorite movie and I read the book decades later and loved the book. Having watched the movie 100 times didn't change how I enjoyed the book.

Yet, I don't know why, but I have not been able to open other books that have been made into movies or shows. I keep feeling like it's all spoilered already and I'd rather read something "new".

I can't explain it given my only experience doing so was a positive one.

·
Now with flavor!
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Yet, I don't know why, but I have not been able to open other books that have been made into movies or shows. I keep feeling like it's all spoilered already and I'd rather read something "new".
TV/Film properties aren't always 100% pure adaptations of their original works. I remember reading JAWS after seeing the movie in 75' and becoming rightly annoyed. I hate The Hunt for Red October (1990) for everything it leaves out of the 1984 Tom Clancy novel. And I can't reconcile the differences between Stephen King's The Shining and Stanley Kubrick's The Shining: I love both versions.

I like reading the novelizations or reading the original works- of movies and TV shows. It's always about getting more detail than having plot "spoiled"

·
I am Groot!
63,189 Posts
TV/Film properties aren't always 100% pure adaptations of their original works. I remember reading JAWS after seeing the movie in 75' and becoming rightly annoyed. I hate The Hunt for Red October (1990) for everything it leaves out of the 1984 Tom Clancy novel. And I can't reconcile the differences between Stephen King's The Shining and Stanley Kubrick's The Shining: I love both versions.
Blade Runner/Do Anrdoids Dream of Electric Sheep. Two very different, but very good, works.

I thought that was a brilliant way to adapt a very uncinematic novel.

·
All About Footwork
31,989 Posts
I remember reading Jaws BEFORE I saw the movie and being highly annoyed at what Spielberg left out.
My wife had (still has not) never seen Jaws. I tried to get her to give it a shot and I never realized how little action there actually was in that movie for basically 80% of it. She was bored to sleep by the time they were getting set to go on the boat to hunt it.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
huh...there is no way I would buy the books now since I watched the show. I know this because I have the Game of Thrones books languishing on my Kindle...heck, even The Princess Bride book is sitting there unread for more than a decade.
Interesting. I just wrapped watching and enjoyed the series a bunch, but never read the books and was wondering if worth a read. I've been in a non-fiction rut last couple of years and could use a good series.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,191 Posts
My opinion: well worth reading. You can always get a copy of the first book from your local library (our library even has it as an ebook IIRC) to see what you think without buying anything. There was a 2 month wait to check out the final book last year but probably that will have abated by the time you get there :).

·
Now with flavor!
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Peaches is way higher on Amos' "I care about" list than Prax. Way way way higher if you count the books.

Reactions: cwerdna

·
All About Footwork
31,989 Posts
The web-only scene between Amos and Bobby about their bet on who would win a fight was fantastic.

on the actual show, I also liked the look on Bobby's face of actually considering Amos' offer to join him in the brothel. It was pretty funny.

Reactions: cwerdna
101 - 116 of 116 Posts