TiVo Community Forum banner
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Series 3
32,282 Posts
When Marco is giving his final speech aboard the damaged Pella, I'm still thinking, "What kind of idiot buys this?".

And then I thought, "Well of course Naomi has to be the one to push the button."

Then we see that Filip cut out during that speech.
Well, I guess he isn't as dumb as he looks.

If this is the end of the series, I'm satisfied.
Doesn't mean that I don't want more though.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
The series was very faithful to the books, except when they had to write out Alex's character after kicking him off the show for misconduct.

When Marco is giving his final speech aboard the damaged Pella, I'm still thinking, "What kind of idiot buys this?".
I have been saying that a lot about certain events of the past five years, but it would violate forum rules if I brought it up. :censored:

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,176 Posts
Book spoilers:
In the books, does Marco get killed at this point and in a similar/the same way?
As mentioned, yes identically.

I take it that by this point, she doesn't know Filip escaped? I was surprised by that.
As best as I recall, Naomi never learns that Filip escaped in the entire book series.

Also, did the same thing transpire w/Holden where he becomes president of the transport union but in the end, Drummer's in charge?
Yes, identical except that it's not Drummer. There is a Drummer in the books (she's especially important starting in Book 7 which is the one after this TV season) but the Drummer in the TV series is an amalgamation of a few different characters: Drummer and Michio Pa (not the Michio that appears on the TV show). It's Michio Pa who is the Vice President, that Holden elevates to President by resigning.

Reactions: cwerdna

·
Registered
26,753 Posts
Okay, I'm a little bit puzzled. The series ended, that it would end this season was well-known, but they seem to have setup for season 7.

There's a whole pile of loose ends not tied up, including the bits and pieces of Laconia they've been slowly and methodically developing for us. Can't really say anything more without letting book spoilers slip.

·
Premium Member
9,961 Posts
Okay, I'm a little bit puzzled. The series ended, that it would end this season was well-known, but they seem to have setup for season 7.

There's a whole pile of loose ends not tied up, including the bits and pieces of Laconia they've been slowly and methodically developing for us. Can't really say anything more without letting book spoilers slip.
There are persistent rumors and hopes of a deal being made for something like three movies. What form that might take, as in theater movie, tv movie, miniseries, etc... is entirely unknown. The plot was left the way it was, with the hope that it would continue, in some form.

All of this would be under a different name, as "The Expanse" is currently a sci-fi channel property, license to Amazon (or something like that) - so there are rights issues to be worked out. The showrunners have said they're working on it, but form, odds, timeline, or what changes may have to be made to make it work from an IP point of view, is pure speculation.

So we're at a hope and wait stage.

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,328 Posts
The rights to the series are owned by Alcon. They apparently had some difficulty selling the show originally, since it’s original distribution deal was a bit of a patchwork: the primary customer was SyFy who was trying to rebuild their portfolio, and purchases first airing rights, but didn’t have the commitment for streaming. Amazon picked up US streaming rights relatively cheaply, Sky picked up UK rights, and Netflix picked up most of the other streaming rights. SyFY by far had the highest financial cost.

It was never a cheap show to produce, and the nature of negotiating actors’ contracts makes them substantially more expensive as a show does well (since they start to get offers from other studios to work on their projects). After Season 3, it was too expensive for them for what they were getting (linear rights, not streaming), and their parent NBC was still building (and still is) their streaming portfolio. It was just too much money, and they dropped it. Alcon (and many fans) aggressively marketed to Netflix and Amazon, with Amazon picking up future streaming rights at a substantially higher price than they were paying, but it was now a really strong property (it’s been a substantial draw for Prime streaming).

Not to spoiler things too much, but they’ve hit two issues at once story-wise: most of the unaired book series material takes place after a substantial time jump, which is a bit of a casting challenge (recast? Age the actors? Rewrite material?), and they’ve got the increasing costs of the actors’ contracts as well. While no GOT for numbers, it’s a solid draw for Amazon with absolutely rock-solid reviews and ratings, so I guarantee Alcon is trying to work something out, but wasn’t able to break the barrier yet for future seasons and movies.

I expect that we’ll eventually see something worked out, probably a combination of movies (from unaired novella adaptations) and series, but it may be a while.

·
Time for a new Title
27,856 Posts
Overall, I was really impressed with season 6. It felt like they covered a lot more ground than they could have in 6 episodes. Maybe that's why they included the Laconia subplot; while it did nothing for the purpose of the main story, it added another arc and made the season feel bigger. That said, I would have still preferred that they use that time to expand more on the main plot.

My only gripes with the main story were:
The attack on the ring rail gun--it was really difficult to follow visually. All blue backgrounds, I never had a feel for what the structure of the rail gun looked like, and everybody was in gray space suits.

The way that Marco was finally taken out. They've been discussing the random disappearances as ships go through the gate, but it was obviously being setup as a Checkov's Gun, rather than handled as a larger plot point.

Those are minor gripes--I really liked the way this season worked out. There was no wasted space like last season.

It may be a spoiler for the books, but can someone share what's up with the ship around Laconia? It was the big reveal at the very end of last season, and showed up in the background occasionally this season, but I still don't realize what it's for. And was there some assembly being to it near the end?

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,176 Posts
My only gripes with the main story were:
The attack on the ring rail gun--it was really difficult to follow visually. All blue backgrounds, I never had a feel for what the structure of the rail gun looked like, and everybody was in gray space suits.
I agree that this was hard to figure out on the screen. One advantage the books have is they can make all of this much more clear IMO.

The way that Marco was finally taken out. They've been discussing the random disappearances as ships go through the gate, but it was obviously being setup as a Checkov's Gun, rather than handled as a larger plot point.
In the books actually this issue, with ships disappearing, is a HUGE part of the plot. In fact it's the main impetus for the entire existence of the Transport Union: someone needs to control traffic through the gates, to avoid ships disappearing. I don't want to give away stuff from the last 3 books but this is really important, not just a Checkov's Gun.

It may be a spoiler for the books, but can someone share what's up with the ship around Laconia? It was the big reveal at the very end of last season, and showed up in the background occasionally this season, but I still don't realize what it's for. And was there some assembly being to it near the end?
I'm not sure how clear they make this in the show. The tech in orbit around Laconia is a platform put there by the protomolecule designers. What happened was this: when Duarte (who was a bigwig in the MCRN) sees that Mars is going to go under after the ring gates open (because why bother to refurbish a planet like Mars when there are so many other worlds much more easily colonized?) he puts a plot into motion. He gets ahold of the information returned by scout ships from the rings and finds one, that he names Laconia, that has this orbiting platform which is not destroyed. Then he makes a deal with Inaros to give him Martian stealth tech, if Inaros provides the last remaining protomolecule sample. Duarte takes a faction of the MCRN and takes over Laconia, mining the ring gate and telling everyone to leave him alone. And, he also takes with him Cortazar, who was the scientist doing all the experimenting with kids and protomolecule in previous seasons.

In the Laconia intro plot we see Cortazar run in to tell Duarte that he's figured out something with the protomolecule, and they show the orbiting platform glowing protomolecule-blue, so they apparently got it working again (similar to how it turned on the machines on Ilus, in Season 4).

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,328 Posts
Expanding on madscientist's post with a bit of a spoiler

The orbiting complex is a semi-automated shipyard, that still even had a partially-completed ship in it. They first manage to have that first ship completed, and then figure out how to make other custom ships.

·
Registered
19,047 Posts
I thought it was a great finale. I'm reading Leviathan Falls right now which confused me switching back and forth due to (a) Alex (b) having a hard time picturing the crew as older and different in the book.

I found the production of this last season odd. Only 6eps, all but 1 in the 42-45 minute range with clear cuts for ad breaks. Seems they could have done a bit more one way or another.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
In the Laconia intro plot we see Cortazar run in to tell Duarte that he's figured out something with the protomolecule, and they show the orbiting platform glowing protomolecule-blue, so they apparently got it working again (similar to how it turned on the machines on Ilus, in Season 4).
Thanks! I had no idea who that guy talking to Duarte was.

·
Super Moderator
59,162 Posts
They knew the show was ending so why bother with the Laconia stuff at all? If it weren’t for that setup with zero payoff it would have felt like an intentional ending rather than a series that was canceled before it was over.

·
I am Groot!
62,767 Posts

·
Now with flavor!
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
It's hard to say whether they know something, or are just being unreasonably optimistic.
Amazon has agreed to keep the show for "a handful of years" after the last episode. After that, the rights revert to Alcon Entertainment. Of course that doesn't mean another streaming network couldn't buy the show out sooner; but Amazon's rights are worldwide- so it would be expensive.

My gut feeling is The Expanse will stay on Amazon. And that Amazon will fund additional seasons in 3-4 years. No, there's no guarantee any of the creatives or cast will be available if/when Amazon does greenlight the show.

But the TV show is the gateway drug to selling Expanse books, audiobooks, and additional merch. FireTV has a big "Shop the Expanse" popup in the X-Ray content. That's probably the only advantage AMAZ has over any other streaming provider- directly selling licensed merchandise. Six years ago I had the one audiobook, Leviathan Wakes. I own a lot more than that now and it was all purchased on Amazon.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts