TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
All About Footwork
31,731 Posts
even then, Bobbie was hysterical about Naomi needing to get there quickly. One person down, another steps in. No time to ask permission. She should be commended for showing initiative.

They needed a better reason to get her yelled at so she can be set up for the line about being part of the crew. This reason wasn't good, IMO. I guess I didn't miss anything, it just wasn't well done :)

Nit-pick aside, 2 very strong episodes. Can't wait till tomorrow!

·
Time for a new Title
27,676 Posts
I watched episode 1 when it came out, and caught up with 2 and 3 last night. I'm enjoying this season more than I did Season 4; at this point in Season 5 I think I was really liking it and then they went into Naomi banging on a wall for 3 episodes. I'm hoping Season 6 stays as tight as it is now.

Inaros isn't presented much as a strategic genius in his scenes. He seems to act more like a Belter Jesus than anything. I know he has to be a strategic genius because of how he coordinated the attacks against Earth for so long, but I don't feel like we get to see that. I am glad to see Filip starting to step up; I wasn't sure where they were going when he killed his friend, but now I can see that appears to have been a turning point for him; had his father "stuck him in a water recycler and found out if he could swim", he may have remained loyal. But being treated like the spoiled child, and then watching his father lie to and strip bare Ceres, hopefully changed him.

I haven't read the books (I'm halfway through the first one), so I'm not sure what to expect from the Laconia stuff. Sounds like it's more a side plot?

Someone (I think rhuntington) posted an article on Facebook saying that Amazon is planning more Expanse (either more TV, movies, or both) to continue through the series; they just have to end "The Expanse" series because their agreement with SyFy allowed them to use that name for 3 seasons.

And just a gripe that I think I mentioned in Season 5 too--what's with the outfits? The Roci crew is dressing more normally now, but Inaros always has his same rubber onesy and his heavy utility belts that he never does anything with.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Yah, but he felt *really* bad about it. The same way his Mother felt *really* bad about the return fire.
Not the same. Naomi did not launch any missiles. Naomi did not initiate an attack against them. She did not have command. She did not have fire control. The only thing she could have done is beg Holden not to fire. But unlike the idiot Holden, she at least seemed to realize that the life of her son is not sufficient reason to withhold fire from the ship with the man responsible for slaughtering millions of innocent people who would likely go on to slaughter huge numbers of people in the future if not stopped now.

·
All About Footwork
31,731 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
I go to bonus content, press play, and all I get is a still pic of the end credits. Doing this on my PC
Edit: AdBlock was the culprit. I disabled it and the video started playing.
Glad I refreshed and caught the edit, saved me a lot of attempted helpful screenshotting what the flow was supposed to look like. ;)

·
All About Footwork
31,731 Posts
ok, I LOVED the bonus content for episode 3...

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,106 Posts
The problem with the holidays is I don't get to watch my shows when I usually do so just got to Ep 3 tonight. Great stuff! It frustrates me so much that this show drops weekly. I would almost certainly binge it in one sitting otherwise, I wouldn't be able to stop myself.

Have to go watch the bonus content though.

For those wondering about the Laconia stuff, please don't expect it to tie into the rest of this season. It's covering a novella (about 65 pages) that was set around the same time as the action in book 6 (which this season is covering) or maybe slightly later, but definitely before book 7. Like the other novellas in The Expanse series, it's not really critical to the main story. It's very unlikely these vignettes will tie in to the main story this season. Maybe they'll have a coda of some kind that points in a general direction of what a season 7 would bring but I doubt much more than that. Only 3 episodes left and still so much more to do!

·
Series 3
32,158 Posts
Inaros isn't presented much as a strategic genius in his scenes. He seems to act more like a Belter Jesus than anything. I know he has to be a strategic genius because of how he coordinated the attacks against Earth for so long, but I don't feel like we get to see that. I am glad to see Filip starting to step up; I wasn't sure where they were going when he killed his friend, but now I can see that appears to have been a turning point for him; had his father "stuck him in a water recycler and found out if he could swim", he may have remained loyal. But being treated like the spoiled child, and then watching his father lie to and strip bare Ceres, hopefully changed him.
My impression is that Filip actually came up with the idea of "throwing rocks" and did a fair amount of work on the project.
(Hence, his guilt. At least partly.)

But speaking of Marco, I know we're not supposed to like him but I've been having a harder time buying into him being the big bad.
And I finally figured out why.

He suffers from B5 Byron syndrome.
I don't know if this is how Keon Alexander has chosen to play the role or something else but Alexander doesn't come across as having anywhere near the charisma necessary for Marco to be heading up such a movement.
He comes across as a jackass who managed to get his hands on some warships.

Obviously, YMMV.

·
I am Groot!
61,661 Posts
I don't know if this is how Keon Alexander has chosen to play the role or something else but Alexander doesn't coming across as having anywhere near the charisma necessary for Marco to be heading up such a movement.
There are certain figures in recent history who don't seem to have any actual charisma, but are experts at pandering to an angry, violent audience. I think he fits that mold perfectly.

·
Series 3
32,158 Posts
There are certain figures in recent history who don't seem to have any actual charisma, but are experts at pandering to an angry, violent audience. I think he fits that mold perfectly.
Hrrrmmmmm......

(Phrasing carefully)

One of the people you might be thinking of does have charisma.
It's just not the type of charisma that appeals to you or I.
(And they get a charisma bonus due to the myths surrounding their alleged acumen.)

I get what you're saying but I don't really see any real inspiration from Marco.

·
Proud Tivolutionary
16,518 Posts
But speaking of Marco, I know we're not supposed to like him but I've been having a harder time buying into him being the big bad.
And I finally figured out why.

He suffers from B5 Byron syndrome.
I don't know if this is how Keon Alexander has chosen to play the role or something else but Alexander doesn't come across as having anywhere near the charisma necessary for Marco to be heading up such a movement.
Obviously, I can't speak to how Keon was chosen but at SyFy's Most Excellent New Series "The Expanse" Full Episode Preview, starting at ~8:38 is when Keon talks a bit about how he got the gig. He claims he heard about the opening on Craigslist and that he and Cara Gee (aka Drummer) were friends for a long time before got the role.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Part of me feels like Ep 4 spent too much time on unimportant things. But part of me feels that it all tied up well in the end and was worth it.

But all of me feels like 6 episodes just isn't enough per season. I'm not saying it can't be done, or done well, but I think it would be better done at 10 episodes per season.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,106 Posts
This is the first season they've tried to do it in 6 episodes. All previous seasons were 10 or 13 episodes. I agree it's rushed but last season people were complaining that the action dragged so... damned if you do I guess :).

I'm loving this season. Maybe since I've read the books I'm able to "fill in" more of the story subconsciously but although I'd love more episodes because I really enjoy this show, I don't necessarily feel like they're leaving out important things so far.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts