TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
What do you mean by "maybe it's a cultural thing?"

Also, Sarah Silverman is one of the crudest comedians in the business today. I'm amazed you like her.
I mean, maybe that's what the younger generation thinks is funny. You have to be crude to be funny. There were always raunchy comedians, but it seems much more today than back in the day. And I never said I don't like raunchy comedians, but I think there's a time and a place. Stand up? Sure, in context. On TDS, unnecessary. I'm not a fan of cursing for just cursing sake, to sound and act cool and having every other word out of your mouth being a curse.

· Meh.
41,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Comedians have been raunchy for eons. I remember we used to sneak listens to Red Foxx and Richard Pryor albums when I was a kid. The big difference now is access. There are many, many more available media avenues for comedians now.

Personally, I thought Leslie Jones got funnier as the week went on and she became looser and more comfortable. Was she loud? Yes. Would I want that from the permanent host? No, but I was fine with it and was entertained for four days.

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,976 Posts
I haven't watched her last episode yet (sooo busy this weekend) but I really enjoyed the first two nights. I don't mind loud and she brings so much energy, she just makes me laugh. And she's 55! It's crazy to me.

· Registered
12,717 Posts
Comedians have been raunchy for eons. I remember we used to sneak listens to Red Foxx and Richard Pryor albums when I was a kid. The big difference now is access. There are many, many more available media avenues for comedians now.

Personally, I thought Leslie Jones got funnier as the week went on and she became looser and more comfortable. Was she loud? Yes. Would I want that from the permanent host? No, but I was fine with it and was entertained for four days.
Three days.

· Meh.
41,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I thought Wanda Sykes was great on her first day. Made me laugh. She'll probably loosen up more as the week progresses.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
DL Hughley this week....I've always liked him when he guested on Real Time. I can see him as a serious candidate to be permanent host if he wants it, but lets see how he does. He DOES does have a real feel for politics which is, to me, important for this show.

· Meh.
41,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I thought DL was ok, not great. I found it interesting that each host so far has been markedly less boisterous than the previous one. Roy Wood Jr. should ask for a bonus. He's been on a lot of segments.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
I liked DL, but it's SO obvious he's reading it off the teleprompter. Sykes had the same issue. it was obvious in their delivery that they are just not comfortable with doing this type of show. When I've watch DL on Bill Maher for example and he is just asked to contribute to the conversation, he's great, speaks his mind, says what he wants to. He's too restricted in something like this. He was slightly better last night, but still caught him saying Live (short I) instead of Live (long I) once, making it obvious he's still reading his content. I'm sure it takes a lot of practice. Of the three so far, none of them work for me. I'd just not watch anymore. We'll see how Handler does. She's hosted before on other shows, so she has some experience. Sarah Silverman might fall into the same trap as the first three. Shows just how hard it is to do something like this and make it look natural. Stewart was a natural, Noah really grew into it. So you'd have to give them time, but right now, I'm not impressed with any of them.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
Of the three, Sykes did the best for me but I don’t want any of them permanently.
I though DL was really good on last night's episode, like he finally felt comfortable doing it. But I agree, none of them are right for hosting this show. On to Handler next week.

· Meh.
41,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
DL Hughly's final show was his best as he seemed more comfortable in the role. Wanda was definitely the best by far. No matter who gets the final nod, that person will have to grow into the role and to expect them to be great right off the bat is a fool's errand. It took Trevor a while to make the show his and although I never watched Jon Stewart's earliest years I bet he wasn't getting 5 star reviews in the very beginning. The host has to grow into the role and the writers have to figure out what works best for the host.

I did learn a couple things from DL's last show - never give a kid access to your cell phone and don't write rap songs with "Murder, murder, kill, kill" in the lyrics. It's kind of odd that if you're a rap artist who writes violently themed lyrics it's assumed to be autobiographical but if you're a filmmaker or author who produces very violently themed movies and novels it's just harmless fiction. (And no, I don't listen to rap music at all.)

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
DL Hughly's final show was his best as he seemed more comfortable in the role. Wanda was definitely the best by far. No matter who gets the final nod, that person will have to grow into the role and to expect them to be great right off the bat is a fool's errand. It took Trevor a while to make the show his and although I never watched Jon Stewart's earliest years I bet he wasn't getting 5 star reviews in the very beginning. The host has to grow into the role and the writers have to figure out what works best for the host.

I did learn a couple things from DL's last show - never give a kid access to your cell phone and don't write rap songs with "Murder, murder, kill, kill" in the lyrics. It's kind of odd that if you're a rap artist who writes violently themed lyrics it's assumed to be autobiographical but if you're a filmmaker or author who produces very violently themed movies and novels it's just harmless fiction. (And no, I don't listen to rap music at all.)
I remember during the height of heavy metal, there was a similar outcry and I'm sure that the lyrics were used against them in court too. I sort of remember a court case where the kid who cause the violent death of someone was into satanic metal rock and the "puritans" thought that was related to his causing violence and mayhem. The difference here of course is that it's the actual artists who are getting arrested. I remember Tipper Gore and others going off on this music. And of course whatever popular music of the day was always used as a cause for depravity by the kids of that generation. From reefer madness during the jazz era, to juvenile delinquency during the early days of rock and roll, to drug use and "free love" during the 1960s and on and on. That's just the so called "Christians" trying to find a reason why people don't act like they want them to. But yeah, this is really a new level. But if you kind of said, I'm going to kill in a music lyric and then actually went and did it.....is that evidence? I don't know, but it could show intent. Assuming they actually DID do it. And that's the crux I guess, just because they said they were going to do it in the lyric, does that mean they actually did it?

I agree, some of them would need to take the time to get comfortable, unless they went with someone who's done a similar show in the past. Chelsea has done talk shows, Sam Bee, if she's considered had her own show, and so forth. Though John Oliver, was a natural and from the moment he took over for JS that summer he was doing his movie, you could tell he'd be great. None of the first three guest hosts are even close IMO. I might give DL time to adjust, but I didn't like Sykes or Jones BEFORE they guested and nothing they did changed my opinion. That would be the end for me, I'd quit watching.

· Premium Member
16,943 Posts
Chelsea Handler should be interesting. I recall really liking the show she did years ago with other comedians on the panel. I can't even remember if they ever discussed politics, though. I really like a lot of the comedians who came out of that show.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts