TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Meh.
41,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an entry for The Daily Show in my TiVo queue this morning and initially thought that it was probably a mislabeled rerun. I clicked on it and saw that Leslie Jones is the new host. I vaguely remember hearing or seeing something about the show returning in January but I hadn't seen anything about who the new host would be. I thought Leslie Jones did a good job. It was her first show as host and it was essentially the same show as what Trevor was doing but I assume that it'll slowly migrate more to her own show. I noticed that it went back to 30 minutes instead of the extended 45 minutes most Trevor episodes lasted but I assume they'll extend it as she gets more comfortable in the role.

That MLK sculpture person should never be allowed to sculpt again.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,536 Posts
I saw an entry for The Daily Show in my TiVo queue this morning and initially thought that it was probably a mislabeled rerun. I clicked on it and saw that Leslie Jones is the new host. I vaguely remember hearing or seeing something about the show returning in January but I hadn't seen anything about who the new host would be. I thought Leslie Jones did a good job. It was her first show as host and it was essentially the same show as what Trevor was doing but I assume that it'll slowly migrate more to her own show. I noticed that it went back to 30 minutes instead of the extended 45 minutes most Trevor episodes lasted but I assume they'll extend it as she gets more comfortable in the role.

That MLK sculpture person should never be allowed to sculpt again.
Leslie Jones is one of many guest hosts that will be used for the remainder of the season with a permanent host picked for the fall. She's doing it this week. Wanda Sykes (ugh, can't stand her) is doing it next week. I thought Jones was quite good a the comedy stuff, but man, what a terrible interview with Morris Chestnut. She fawned over him in a way that if man did that to a woman, the ladies would be screaming about it. And her interviewing skills are just not there. To be fair Trevor was not great at interviewing either and became competent over time. But she had me laughing quite a bit during the comedy bits, especially the new MLK statue in Boston bit that she did with Dulce. I never much cared for Jones on SNL but over time I've mellowed on her. I don't think she's right for a permanent host, but for a week, she's fine.

· Registered
12,703 Posts
She was okay but too loud. I’ve seen her in many settings and usually her over the top character is limited in duration. She was pretty much over the top the whole show. I like her but she was a bit much for me tonight.

As for 30 minutes. No. The guide said 30 minutes but it cut off when the interview was ending. So it’s more than 30 minutes.

· Premium Member
16,925 Posts
I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I noticed that they finally shaved down the name from TDS w/TN to just TDS, but it still recorded. I look forward to seeing how it goes with the guest hosts. I think I heard that Chelsea Handler will be one of them. I imagine she might not be popular here, but I used to really like her show on the E! channel years ago, that brought out a lot of great comedic talent.

Also, Al Franken should be good.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,536 Posts
She was okay but too loud. I’ve seen her in many settings and usually her over the top character is limited in duration. She was pretty much over the top the whole show. I like her but she was a bit much for me tonight.

As for 30 minutes. No. The guide said 30 minutes but it cut off when the interview was ending. So it’s more than 30 minutes.
Yep, my thoughts exactly about Jones, past and present. When Is saw the guide data had it 30 minutes, I padded it because I knew it would go long. It was the same with JS and TN.

As I said, Jones was fine for a guest host, but I don't think she's right for the permanent host. I think part of what they are doing is "auditioning" for the new lead. I heard Hasan Minaj is going to be one of the upcoming guest hosts and I think he would be great at it (if you haven't seen his series on Netflix, it was really good). We'll see how some of the others do. Ultimately, if I were to bet on who gets it, I'd say Roy Wood Jr. But not sure he's right either.

· Meh.
41,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't remember his name but I wouldn't be surprised if that dead pan comedian that Trevor had as his last guest gets the job.

I like the guest hosts development. I remember when Johnny Carson would have guest hosts when he went on vacation. I prefer having a guest host instead of reruns or some other show's reruns in the time slot. I wish the night time talk shows would return to having guest hosts.

· Premium Member
16,925 Posts
Yep, my thoughts exactly about Jones, past and present. When Is saw the guide data had it 30 minutes, I padded it because I knew it would go long. It was the same with JS and TN.

As I said, Jones was fine for a guest host, but I don't think she's right for the permanent host. I think part of what they are doing is "auditioning" for the new lead. I heard Hasan Minaj is going to be one of the upcoming guest hosts and I think he would be great at it (if you haven't seen his series on Netflix, it was really good). We'll see how some of the others do. Ultimately, if I were to bet on who gets it, I'd say Roy Wood Jr. But not sure he's right either.
Oh, I really like Hasan MInaj a lot and have missed him since he left TDS. I've never seen his Netflix show. He would be a good host, I think.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,536 Posts
Oh, I really like Hasan MInaj a lot and have missed him since he left TDS. I've never seen his Netflix show. He would be a good host, I think.
It's probably a bit dated as it was topical for the time, but if you have a Netflix account, you should check it out. If I recall, the show's style was similar to that of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on HBO, with one main topic per episode.

· Premium Member
16,925 Posts

I've had my Pass for that show padded by about 15 minutes for a few years now. It seems to work fine that way. I don't think it's ever gone beyond that. :)

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,043 Posts
I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I noticed that they finally shaved down the name from TDS w/TN to just TDS, but it still recorded. I look forward to seeing how it goes with the guest hosts. I think I heard that Chelsea Handler will be one of them. I imagine she might not be popular here, but I used to really like her show on the E! channel years ago, that brought out a lot of great comedic talent.

Also, Al Franken should be good.
I'm looking forward to a lot of the guest hosts, especially Chelsea Handler. She's very funny and sarcastic. Didn't have time to catch the first LJ episode yet, but hopefully I'll catch up tonight.

· Registered
5,086 Posts
They announced the revolving door of hosts a while back after Trevor said he was leaving the show. It appears that each host will be doing it for one week (actually just four nights) and then handing it off to someone else the following week. Perhaps it's their way of auditioning for a permanent host. I'm sure they won't pick just anyone for the show considering the pedigree of previous hosts. I never thought the show would survive after Jon Stewart left and stopped watching it for the first couple of years after Trevor took over. I decided to check it out a while back and have been watching it ever since. I honestly don't see anyone of the current lineup of correspondents on the show taking over for Trevor except for perhaps Jordan Klepper, but he tends to be more political satire than comedy. Then again, I think his political edge is more in keeping with the legacy of the show.

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,975 Posts
Hasan's show Patriot Act was really good. It was a lot more high-energy than Last Week Tonight with a lot of snap-cuts (it's not just a mostly live shot, it's edited) and he wanders around the stage, and does more audience interaction. I thought it was great and was really bummed when they canceled it. Although some episodes might be dated I think most are still pretty relevant (unfortunately). Also, like Trevor, Hasan can provide unique perspectives on non-U.S. topics (his shows about India and Modhi were great).

I love Leslie Jones (her segments watching GoT with Seth Meyers were very funny although they got a little rerun-like by the end) but I agree I can't see her as a permanent host.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,536 Posts
They announced the revolving door of hosts a while back after Trevor said he was leaving the show. It appears that each host will be doing it for one week (actually just four nights) and then handing it off to someone else the following week. Perhaps it's their way of auditioning for a permanent host. I'm sure they won't pick just anyone for the show considering the pedigree of previous hosts. I never thought the show would survive after Jon Stewart left and stopped watching it for the first couple of years after Trevor took over. I decided to check it out a while back and have been watching it ever since. I honestly don't see anyone of the current lineup of correspondents on the show taking over for Trevor except for perhaps Jordan Klepper, but he tends to be more political satire than comedy. Then again, I think his political edge is more in keeping with the legacy of the show.
I was thinking about the current cast. I think outside of Roy Wood Jr, none of them has shown any kind of "hosting" ability at least as they were cast on the show. Klepper is good, but I think he's better as a "correspondent". Dulce plays the "Dulce" part well but is kind of stereotypical "sassy black woman" (I hate typing that, but she's kind of just that as portrayed). Costa doesn't have the charisma to carry the show. I like Desi Lydic, but again, I don't see her as a host, but better at doing a bit. Ronny Chieng is always good when he's on, but he's a bit difficult to understand sometimes. So yeah, I don't see the current cast having the chops. And maybe that's what they thought after JS left and they brought in someone from the outside (though if I recall TN had a couple of bits on the show right before JS left). I'd love to see Sam Bee get a crack, but I wonder if her time on her own show covering primarily women's issues will make them think twice about her (I think she'd be great, personally). Should be interesting but my gut tells me that it will be RWJ or else someone not currently on the show.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,043 Posts
Looks like the schedule as released is:
Week of Jan. 16 - Leslie Jones
Week of Jan. 23 - Wanda Sykes
Week of Jan. 30 - D.L. Hughley
Week of Feb. 6 - Chelsea Handler
Week of Feb. 13 - Sarah Silverman

Other guest hosts who have been announced but have not been publicly scheduled are Hasan Minhaj, Al Franken, John Leguizamo, Kal Penn, and Marlon Wayans. And some of the current correspondents may get a week.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,536 Posts
E2 with Leslie Jones was horrible. I agree with @TonyD79 that she's WAY too loud. She had her chance to do a "serious" interview with the head of Planned Parenthood and it was just horrible, to the point where she hardly let her say anything much and just went into shtick. Not sure if spoilers are allowed in this thread but:
Her bit with her being mad at Kosta was not funny and went on WAY too long.

If she's the one selected for permanent host, I'm done with the show.

· Registered
12,703 Posts
Her material is good but I’d rather the personality she had when she covered the Olympics. Everyday at this volume is too much.

I always skip the interviews anyway. I’d prefer it if they did away with them.

· Registered
5,086 Posts
Leslie Jones is just too loud, obnoxious, and crude for my tastes. She has none of the class that Trevor had and just seems to rely on how loud and boisterous she can be. The good news is that she won't be on the show next week plus we only had to suffer through her for three days instead of the usual four. The lineup of comics for the next four weeks looks decent so hopefully the tone of the show will improve.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,536 Posts
Leslie Jones is just too loud, obnoxious, and crude for my tastes. She has none of the class that Trevor had and just seems to rely on how loud and boisterous she can be. The good news is that she won't be on the show next week plus we only had to suffer through her for three days instead of the usual four. The lineup of comics for the next four weeks looks decent so hopefully the tone of the show will improve.
Totally agree. And rather than tone it down after the first loud episode, she was LOUDER, if that was even possible, on the 3rd episode. I said the same thing to my son. Thank goodness it was only 3 episodes. Completely skipped her interview with Charlemagne da God. And I don't get where every modern comedian needs to be crude when given that latitude. The number of times she said "dick" or "*****" was to the point where I lost count. Why was that necessary for a political humor show? It's like they think by being crude that makes them funny. Maybe it's a cultural thing? I don't know (I have similar issues with other shows that need to constantly curse because it makes the show seem more "authentic)". But Leslie is a one trick pony, loud, obnoxious and crude. It could be funny in small doses, but as a show host? Not my cup of tea.

We'll see how Wanda Sykes is next week. I'm not a fan, but I'll give it a shot. D.L. Hugely can be funny and he's very politically astute. So there's a good chance that could work. I fear that Chelsea Handler could wind up being as crude as Leslie Jones, but hopefully she'll tone that down some. And I really like Sarah Silverman, so interested to see how she does as a host.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts