1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Proud Tivolutionary
16,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Seriously? You get to watch the first episodes with your paid cable or satellite subscription and then you have to pay more for a separate streaming service to watch the rest of the series? No wonder piracy has become so popular.

·
Proud Tivolutionary
16,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watched part 1 last night. It was ok. Some of the info I already knew. I didn't know about the funding situation early on and some of the Lucille Ball backstory nor did I know where the name Desilu came from.

Oddly, if I Google for center seat episodes, it lists 8 eps so far, eps 1 thru 6 "aired" on Nov 5th and the one that was on History Channel "Lucy Loves Trek" (E06?) being the ep that aired last night. Weird. It also points to a service Philo that I never heard of that I guess has those eps already?

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,118 Posts
Thanks, pass created. Still able to start recording from Episode 1, as it is rerunning tomorrow and Friday. Not planning to subscribe for for the streaming episodes though.

·
With an "L"
4,203 Posts
Oddly, if I Google for center seat episodes, it lists 8 eps so far, eps 1 thru 6 "aired" on Nov 5th and the one that was on History Channel "Lucy Loves Trek" (E06?) being the ep that aired last night. Weird. It also points to a service Philo that I never heard of that I guess has those eps already?
Nah, they're mistaken (or being purposely misleading?) - philo is a streamer of linear channels and wouldn't have any access to the six Vault-only apps.

·
Proud Tivolutionary
16,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah, they're mistaken (or being purposely misleading?) - philo is a streamer of linear channels and wouldn't have any access to the six Vault-only apps.
Thanks. Makes sense. Now, the Google search results in the upper right include Philo and Hulu.

I searched on Hulu's app and it comes up under "WATCH WITH LIVE TV" and if I tap on it tells me "Sorry, but your subsription doesn't include this series. You can manage your subscription from your Account page." And yeah, I don't subscribe to the pricey live TV portion of Hulu.

·
Registered
26,124 Posts
I only found this show accidentally (History and Discovery are about the only channels where nowadays I regularly watch reruns of some documentary shows I've found in the past year or so, so skim through at least prime time sporadically, and found this due to it being after the ridiculous-but-entertaining UnXplained show.)

I've seen lots of Trek documentaries, but did learn a few new things in this ep... or at least re-learned. I knew about some people being on Roddenberry's previous show, but I didn't know about Nichelle being on it (on an unaired ep).. and I forgot, they told something else about Roddenberry before he was a cop.. I remembered him being a cop.

·
Registered
26,124 Posts
Seriously? You get to watch the first episodes with your paid cable or satellite subscription and then you have to pay more for a separate streaming service to watch the rest of the series? No wonder piracy has become so popular.
I suggest you keep a OP for it, set to New & Reruns.

Despite Discovery's streaming service apparently being even more successful than they had expected, at least *some* of the supposedly streaming "exclusive" shows did air on the regular channel.. The one I can think of offhand being an entire season of Battlebots.

So I wouldn't doubt if it EVENTUALLY does air on regular cable (though I would fear it would be edited for time).

I would pay (at least sporadically) for more of these streaming services if they allowed me to watch faster than realtime.. I'm serious.. I watched this show at 1.7x and enjoyed it a lot. If I could watch streamed faster than realtime, I'd probably pay for discovery+ too.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Or wait until next year when HBO Max and Discovery+ are scheduled to merge.

Reactions: mattack

·
Meh.
41,190 Posts
Did the starship Enterprise fight the nazis or is History interrupting their all-Hitler, all the time programming for this?

·
Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,118 Posts
Yeah they did that once or twice.
Military uniform Military person Cap Peaked cap Coat

Sometimes it got complicated though.
Smile Outerwear Military uniform Military person Gesture

Like, really complicated.
Military person Sculpture Cap Personal protective equipment Eyewear

Reactions: cwerdna

·
Proud Tivolutionary
16,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ep 2 was ok. It focused on the animated series. I remember seeing some eps when I was a child. As such, a lot of info in ep 2 was unknown to me.

Maybe I'll go and rewatch TAS when I find some time.

·
Registered
26,124 Posts
Ep 2 was ok. It focused on the animated series. I remember seeing some eps when I was a child. As such, a lot of info in ep 2 was unknown to me.

Maybe I'll go and rewatch TAS when I find some time.
It actually makes me want to watch TAS more. I've tried watching TAS a few times, even tried to get my Trek Group watching it some recent-ish year.. couldn't really get into it. I knew there were "real sci fi" authors and such, and I can't even think of exactly what in this episode made it sound more interesting to try again... but I might.

It was funny how much adult/serious stuff they got into the show!

·
Proud Tivolutionary
16,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It was funny how much adult/serious stuff they got into the show!
Exactly. What I recall them describing would've been totally over my head when I was a child.

Some of the stuff in TOS I didn't get when I was really young I now understand...

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,104 Posts
While they made the plots sound interesting and it's great they got the original actors for voices, I'm not sure I can watch that horrible 70's saturday morning cartoon animation style and color pallet. I mean, I just don't think I can do it.

Reactions: cwerdna

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Hrm. so that's what its all about. I saw it in the guide and episode 1 is supposed to air here this week.

Just seems silly that it's happening all at once - Prodigy, Discovery and now this all airing on a single day.

(Canada streaming rights for Star Trek are so horrendously screwed up, it's hilarious. So we get it on cable first, then the network that airs it has streaming rights for like 6 months before it goes to the Canadian paid streaming provider. I know some friends who subscribe and are disappointed at how despite paying, they can't get at the latest episodes I can, who can watch it on cable or stream it from the network.).

·
Registered
26,124 Posts
Hrm. so that's what its all about. I saw it in the guide and episode 1 is supposed to air here this week.

Just seems silly that it's happening all at once - Prodigy, Discovery and now this all airing on a single day.
Wait, we're talking about the OLD animated series, discussed in the latest episode of this documentary show. It sounds like you're talking about the new animated series(es)?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Well, technically we're talking about The Center Seat, whose first episode airs in Canada on Thursday. Alongside Star Trek Prodigy and Star Trek Discovery, since Star Trek Lower Decks finished a few weeks ago. If I'm reading the news correctly, Lower Decks, Prodigy and Discovery air in Canada the same day as they are released on Paramount+. But apparently The Center Seat isn't, and is airing a couple of weeks after they're shown in the US.

So Canada sees episode 1 on Nov 18, which is two weeks after it has shown in the US. I just found it in the guide and was about to skip it when it sounded interesting. I then found this thread to see what it was about, since I've heard nothing about this show.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts