TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Thrice as nice
10,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new season starts tonight. I'll be interested to see how they change the formula for the new season on a new network. As much as I usually dislike all-season threads, we can start with one here but if there's enough traction, feel free to create individual episode threads.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not a positive experience or result for those on the show in the past:

Opinion | "The Biggest Loser" has no winners - except people who enjoy fat shaming

6 Years after The Biggest Loser, Metabolism Is Slower and Weight Is Back Up

Researchers studied 14 contestants who participated in the 30-week competition, which involves intensive diet and exercise training.

They started at an average weight of 328 pounds (about 149 kg) and ended at an average weight of 200 pounds (about 91 kg).

Six years later, when the six men and eight women went to the National Institutes of Health for follow-up measurements, their weight, on average, was back up to 290 pounds. Only one participant hadn't regained any weight.

Similarly, percent body fat started at an average of 49 percent, dipped to 28 percent and returned to 45 percent over time.

But resting metabolic rate did not follow the same pattern.

The group as a whole on average burned 2,607 calories per day at rest before the competition, which dropped to about 2,000 calories per day at the end.

Six years later, calorie burning had slowed further to 1,900 per day, as reported in the journal Obesity, May 2.

·
"Just The Facts"
21,405 Posts
Well it looks like they didn't drag out all the weigh-ins. They zoomed through a couple of peoples.

I thought it was funny Robert said he's there to learn how to lose the weight and keep it off. I guess he hadn't read any of the articles linked above.

·
Thrice as nice
10,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I finally got caught up since being on vacation last week. I thought it was a pretty good start.

The first episode was pretty predictable that the woman who had such a low loss was actually not going to go.

I liked the new discussion segment with Bob where they could air out what they were feeling.

·
"Just The Facts"
21,405 Posts
I like that it's the lowest loser on the losing team that goes. I figured the lady that went home would go home early, she was so heavy it made it hard for her to workout as hard as the others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.