TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
CreativelyChallenged
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had to start this thread for the sole purpose of saying CONGRATULATIONS JULIA GARNER for your best supporting actress win!! She won for Ozark, but she was spectacular in The Americans and Dear John as well. Beat out Fiona Shaw in Killing Eve, and all 4 Game of Thrones actresses.

·
Notable Member
117,699 Posts
Had to start this thread for the sole purpose of saying CONGRATULATIONS JULIA GARNER for your best supporting actress win!! She won for Ozark, but she was spectacular in The Americans and Dear John as well. Beat out Fiona Shaw in Killing Even, and all 4 Game of Thrones actresses.
I don't watch Ozark, but I did manage to recognize her from The Americans just because of the image they had of her on the big huge screen... That curly hair :)

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,863 Posts
I guess I need to give Ozark a try.

Julia Garner was driving me crazy, I couldn't figure out where I knew her from. Kimmy!

Tonight was Phoebe night. I watch both Killing Eve and Fleabag, and she deserves every award she wins. I'm late to Fleabag, still have two eps left to watch, but I love it.

Emmy's I was thrilled to see: Jodie Comer, Michelle Williams, Chernobyl.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
Also, I am going to start watching "Fleabag"
You definitely should. It's very funny and it's a quick binge since the eps are short and they're British-length seasons.

I was really happy to see Jodie Comer win. She definitely deserved it.

This Emmy's ceremony was quite the departure from the past where the TV academy basically rubber stamped the nominees from previous years and it took a long time for new shows to get noticed. I love Veep and JLD, but was glad to see someone else win.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
You definitely should. It's very funny and it's a quick binge since the eps are short and they're British-length seasons.

I was really happy to see Jodie Comer win. She definitely deserved it.

This Emmy's ceremony was quite the departure from the past where the TV academy basically rubber stamped the nominees from previous years and it took a long time for new shows to get noticed. I love Veep and JLD, but was glad to see someone else win.
Funny about the Killing Eve actresses. The first season I thought Jodie was much better than Sandra, and Sandra won, this year, I thought Sandra was better and Jodie won. What do I know?

This year I actually have seen most of the shows put up for the awards, but of course, most of the awards went to shows I never watched or didn't have the desire to. I will add Fleabag to my list. I might watch this on my upcoming flight and cruise :)

·
Allan
2,686 Posts
I thought that was the worst Emmy's broadcast I've ever seen. Horribly scripted, you could barely hear the "commentator" (which was a good thing -- nothing but truly inane comments), and essentially a 3 hour commercial for Fox. Had to turn it off after the first hour.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,863 Posts
Highly recommend Fleabag. It's a unique comedy, with a voice unlike anything else you've seen. Which is partly why it won so much (that, and it's really funny). I was hooked after one eps, I don't think it takes long to decide if it's for you.

Glad to see Game of Thrones win the biggie. Yes, the final season wasn't as strong as the previous, but it was still the best series on TV that last 8-10 years. Agree with @Mikeguy it was also a Lifetime Achievement Award. It brought the watercooler back to TV.

I didn't have a problem with VEEP not winning. Superb show, one of my faves, but there is a lot of competition these days just as deserving. Not winning this year doesn't lessen what a great show it's been.

Liked how they honored some shows with a full cast walk-on. Great way to reunite them one last time, for us AND for them. Game of Thrones, VEEP (was there one more I'm forgetting?)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
It definitely kept things moving along. I also appreciated the use of the "overhead narration" for the announcing of nominees--again, it resulted in a faster, streamlined clip to the show.

That being said, a good host just adds a personal feel to the event, like the host at a party. But so often it's brought unneeded ~speed bumps to the show, such as in a prolonged opening monologue and comedic bits throughout.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,863 Posts
Overdub announcer was Thomas Lennon. I thought he was pretty good, most of the time. A few zingers mis-fired, but most were pretty good. His Fox comment when some Fox show won something was good, as was his "To compete with Louis-Dreyfus' numbers, PWB will have to live until the 171st Emmys...which will be held on Mars." when Phoebe W-B won.

Hostless--I'm mostly okay with it. A really good host adds some flavor, but Fox would only use one of "their" guys. And since they don't have a late night show, they didn't have anyone to use. And they learned not use Seth McF by now :rolleyes:. I think a Seth Myers or Colbert can be a good host.

·
Pro Troll Magnet
15,193 Posts
Fox just doesn't know how to do award shows!

The whole ad for Fox TV shows...er...award show was clumsy and poorly run. The overdub announcer was extremely annoying and should be taken out to the back of the barn and shot!

That said, it was a great night for British talent and I, too, need to add Fleabag to my watch list.

Reactions: ADG

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,863 Posts
I still don't understand why, for the biggest event the TV industry throws for itself, they can't get better announcer material? Some of the writing for the award announcers was dreck, just embarrassing. You get these BIG name stars to stand on your stage, and the material is just dreadful.

Maya & Ika doing Lasik... ugh. One of the worst.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.