TiVo Community Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Now with more GB
3,527 Posts
Pat almost blew it with that James Bond question.

When one of the players said, "Her Majesty's Secret Service." he should not have given the correct title (On Her Majesty's Secret Service) when explaining why the answer was wrong. What if that was the only other Bond film the other player knew? That could have ended up costing them the entire tournament.

-- Don

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
MitchO said:
My problem with Crash is that I get the two (the good one with everyone and the bad one with James Spader in it) confused in my head all the time, even though I know there were two separate movies.
Same. I worked at Sundance when that movie was coming out and they did a pre-release screening that I worked the party for. Now that's the movie that always comes to mind when I hear "Crash."

·
Now with more GB
3,527 Posts
Who changed the rules? Last year, the categories in the final had 10 questions; this year, they only have six.

(And has The Simpsons shrunk to the point where five of the six questions they asked can be answered by anybody remotely familiar with the show? I think "Treehouse of Horror" would be the only real stumper, as the on-screen titles for the first ten were "The Simpsons Halloween Special", until somebody decided that since Fox was not airing these on or before Halloween (because of the World Series), they shouldn't be called Halloween specials.)

-- Don

·
TCF Bookie
9,629 Posts
Can't say I'm surprised to see that this thread degenerated into a slew of "I'm sooooo much more knowledgeable than the contestants" posts :rolleyes:

I enjoyed the contest, other than the boring interviews after the rounds.
I was rooting for Twisted Misters...although the Angus Young character didn't contribute much of anything. I was surprised to see Wocka Wocka get absolutely smoked.
I didn't know any of the 2006 songs, but I think they were absolutely correct to include the category...it IS, after all supposed to be the entirety of pop culture, even if 80% of it is disappointingly 80's related.
Time to go for broke on Trivia Dome tonight...made it through 23 of the 24 questions the other night before not being sure which GNR song was playing in Cape Fear...but when I missed I was at 3:20 and the winner got all 24 right in a ridiculous ~2:25.
Perhaps it was 24/25...can't remember off the top of my head.

·
Now with more GB
3,527 Posts
MasterOfPuppets said:
I didn't know any of the 2006 songs, but I think they were absolutely correct to include the category...it IS, after all supposed to be the entirety of pop culture, even if 80% of it is disappointingly 80's related.
Actually, little of the TV trivia was '80s related - the four categories I remember based on specific shows were either from the '90s (The Simpsons; Seinfeld; Friends) or '70s (The Brady Bunch).

Speaking of pop culture, since when are books excluded? You would think that, at the very least, the The Lord of the Rings books would be considered pop culture. I'd throw in the Harry Potter series as well, but it may still be considered "kids' books" and not enough pop culture trivia types would know enough about them. (Then again, for all I know, one of the unused tiebreakers was, "Name the Defense Against The Dark Arts teachers in the first six Harry Potter books.")

-- Don

·
TCF Bookie
9,629 Posts
A lot of the TV was 90's based...a ton of the movies were from the 80's though, along with a raging slab of the music.
It was an enjoyable event, I wouldn't mind more of it. It's not particularly difficult, otherwise I doubt people would like it as much.
I don't watch Lost, so I would have been hosed in that Tiebreaker, and there were other tiebreakers I would have struggled mightily in as well.

If anybody is interested...tonight's $10K Trivia Dome winner answered all 50 questions in ~3:30, which is a ridiculous ~4.2 seconds per question to read it, locate the answer, and click on it...that seems a bit fishy to me, but hey.

·
Registered
343 Posts
MasterOfPuppets said:
Can't say I'm surprised to see that this thread degenerated into a slew of "I'm sooooo much more knowledgeable than the contestants" posts :rolleyes:

I enjoyed the contest, other than the boring interviews after the rounds.
I was rooting for Twisted Misters...although the Angus Young character didn't contribute much of anything. I was surprised to see Wocka Wocka get absolutely smoked.
Time to go for broke on Trivia Dome tonight...made it through 23 of the 24 questions the other night before not being sure which GNR song was playing in Cape Fear...but when I missed I was at 3:20 and the winner got all 24 right in a ridiculous ~2:25.
Perhaps it was 24/25...can't remember off the top of my head.
It was the 25th question...I missed it as well....and then some guy from my town won the 2500 dollars that night....I was sooooo pissed! And what is the answer..I can't seem to find it online anywhere.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.