TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
All better
17,348 Posts
The one guy had an awesome statement for the 2006 music questions, "I don't want to sound like an old foggey but the music today sucks"

Pat Kiernan as host makes this show he is just so damn funny especially when repeating rap lines.

Twisted Misters is probably the only group that bugs the heck out of me. I want to see them lose and lose bad.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
MitchO said:
For the record, not only did I not know any of the 2006 music questions, but I've only HEARD of two of the songs. :p
I also didn't know any of the answers, and had only heard of a couple of the songs. There were even a couple of artists I'd never heard of. I guess that's what happens when you only listen to talk radio. ;)

·
Thrice as nice
10,847 Posts
Recent Pop Culture is an oxymoron to me. Pop Culture on this show should really be things that would stand the test of time. A few years down the road people would still basically know who or what it is including cult hits. Things like Seinfeld, Michael Jackson, or Austin Powers.

5 or 10 years down the road, would they ever ask a question about the lyrics to a KFed song? I very much doubt it. And I don't think he's going to ever become a cult hit either.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
MrGreg said:
Yeah, that 2006 music category was painful. Yet I knew every answer in the first round on the Weird Al category.
Funny thing was, I knew the name of "White and Nerdy" from the youtube clip posted here at TCF, but I had no idea the name of the song it parodied.

·
Blasphemer: Uses DVR
1,549 Posts
I'm rooting for Team Motherboy just for the Arrested Development reference. I was torn for a while between them and the Heathers reference (Westerburg High), but now my fanship is clear :)

·
Registered
18,385 Posts
mwhip said:
Twisted Misters is probably the only group that bugs the heck out of me. I want to see them lose and lose bad.
I've only seen parts of a few episodes but I happen upon their matchup with Fragilay.

Has Twisted Misters ever acknowledge how annoying they seem to be? Is this because VH1 encourages and selects teams based on "personalities" so they are playing "in character"?

·
She likes cheese.
4,768 Posts
I finally watched this show for the first time and it was entertaining. The questions were actually harder than I thought they'd be.

That current pop music category when they both went 0 for 0 was killer. I think I knew two of the answers, but I hadn't even heard of some of those songs, even after he told us the song and artist. (T.I.? Huh?) I guess that makes me officially an "old fogey" as Lucien put it. (But I knew more than he did.)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Magnolia88 said:
I finally watched this show for the first time and it was entertaining. The questions were actually harder than I thought they'd be.

That current pop music category when they both went 0 for 0 was killer. I think I knew two of the answers, but I hadn't even heard of some of those songs, even after he told us the song and artist. (T.I.? Huh?) I guess that makes me officially an "old fogey" as Lucien put it. (But I knew more than he did.)
Hey, I only knew three of those songs and I'm 25! :D

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The end of the quarterfinals and first round of the semis were pretty good. The match between Motherboy and Wocka Wocka was pretty amazing, with something like 8 tiebreakers.

I've always thought of myself as a bit of a pop culture trivia geek, but I really got humbled in this episode. When they were naming the actors in 2005's "Crash," I didn't remember any of them. I must not have known anything about that movie because every time they named another actor, it was one that I never would have placed in that movie. Then the same thing happened with "The Big Chill." I never saw that one either, and didn't expect any of those names that were said.

·
Blasphemer: Uses DVR
1,549 Posts
My problem with Crash is that I get the two (the good one with everyone and the bad one with James Spader in it) confused in my head all the time, even though I know there were two separate movies.

I don't think I could go as far as they did with Big Chill, but I could definitely name a bunch. I also rattled off 16 of the 20 Bond movies out loud without much trouble (like the guy who won, my father watched them constantly).

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
MitchO said:
I also rattled off 16 of the 20 Bond movies out loud without much trouble (like the guy who won, my father watched them constantly).
Yeah, the minute Pat Kiernan said what the category was, I knew that if I was on that stage, I'd ace that category, as I watched those films constantly, especially when TBS would run them in the '90s during Thanksgiving.

(For the record, my favorite Bond film is On Her Majesty's Secret Service.)

·
Registered
759 Posts
DevdogAZ said:
I've always thought of myself as a bit of a pop culture trivia geek, but I really got humbled in this episode. When they were naming the actors in 2005's "Crash," I didn't remember any of them. I must not have known anything about that movie because every time they named another actor, it was one that I never would have placed in that movie. Then the same thing happened with "The Big Chill." I never saw that one either, and didn't expect any of those names that were said.
Same here. I'm not really in the same league as the guys on this show, but I can usually hold my own when it comes down to pop culture trivia. But I only knew a couple of names from "Crash" and couldn't think of a single person in "The Big Chill." I also ran out of Bond films after about 6. This was the most humbling episode to date, not counting the 2006 pop songs category.

Heck, I couldn't even get a single one of "The Karate Kid" questions whereas my wife swept the category. The only time that ever happens is when the questions are about American Idol.

·
She likes cheese.
4,768 Posts
I aced the Crash and Big Chill questions. I even knew that Kevin Costner played the dead friend at the funeral, so I was sad they gave that away in the question.

It was the James Bond category that would have killed me. Although I did remember Live and Let Die, and they didn't get to that one. (I was going through the theme songs in my head.)

The worst category for me by far in this episode was the Karate Kid one. I knew Elisabeth Shue, but I don't think I could answer any other question. I've seen the movie, but not in years.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.