TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
Joined
·
62,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
MitchO said:
Well, to be fair, I didn't remember nine times either. I think the Death Star thing was more of a pressure issue than a knowledge one.
I don't think so. He got this look as soon as he knew it was a Star Wars question, and the inflection in his answer implied that he really wasn't sure. Add to that the reaction shot of his defeated teammate, and I'm pretty sure Star Wars was a weak link for him. I just don't see how you claim to be knowledgeable about pop culture if that's the case.

I agree about the subjectivity. However, there are certain things that should be staples. Sure, the "nine times" thing is just something I've retained from that movie that others may not have, but as you said, the names of the "Beatles" should be pretty standard, as should the basic plot points of Star Wars and most 80s music. I'm sure there are tons of people who don't know the names of the "Beatles," but I'll bet you'd be hard pressed to find one of them who claims to be good at pop culture trivia.
 

·
Now with more GB
Joined
·
3,529 Posts
One thing bothers me - why bother having a contest about pop culture if they're going to let the contestants fudge on the answers?

Here's the primary example from the second show (although the team lost, so it doesn't have an effect on the tournament result): when asked how Sergeant Esterhaus on Hill Street Blues usually ended his daily talk, a contestant said, "And be careful out there" - and, after a relatively lengthy pause, the answer was accepted, even though any Hill Street fan would know the phrase is, "And HEY - Let's be careful out there!"
(They should give a little leeway - for example, in the Ferris Bueller question about "When Cameron was in Egypt's land," they were right to accept "Let my Camerons go" even though the actual quote says "Cameron" - but letting that Hill Street one go by almost defeats the purpose of the whole thing.)

-- Don
 

·
Rock Climbing Fool
Joined
·
57 Posts
That Don Guy said:
when asked how Sergeant Esterhaus on Hill Street Blues usually ended his daily talk, a contestant said, "And be careful out there" - and, after a relatively lengthy pause, the answer was accepted, even though any Hill Street fan would know the phrase is, "And HEY - Let's be careful out there!"
(They should give a little leeway - for example, in the Ferris Bueller question about "When Cameron was in Egypt's land," they were right to accept "Let my Camerons go" even though the actual quote says "Cameron" - but letting that Hill Street one go by almost defeats the purpose of the whole thing.)
I completely agree! I caught both of those as well and I thought for sure that they would be called wrong. Maybe I am a trivia purist.
 

·
Blasphemer: Uses DVR
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
I noticed that there was a very long pause after the Hill Street answer, even longer than the usual "dramatic tension" one. It was probably a 'judge check' of some sort.

Honestly, the Death Star issue just seemed to be that it wasn't the guy's specialty: when they introduced the teams, they indicated he was the "Madonna fan". I know that when my friend and I discussed getting a 3rd person for the tryouts, we agreed we needed someone who knows different stuff than us (like the American Idol stuff, for example). I'm sure that wasn't his "field of expertise", so he had to pause for what seems to be generic info to others.
 

·
Now with more GB
Joined
·
3,529 Posts
MitchO said:
I noticed that there was a very long pause after the Hill Street answer, even longer than the usual "dramatic tension" one. It was probably a 'judge check' of some sort.
It was, as was the pause after the Ferris Bueller Cameron(s) question. Last season, there was somebody sitting next to the host wearing a headset; presumably an associate producer of some sort who contacted the producers if they needed a ruling.

There was one "pause" I can think of last season - the question asked who portrayed Screech on Saved by the Bell, and the contestant replied, "Diamond"; they needed confirmation that they only needed a last name (after which most of the crowd booed the decision, although the "last name only" rule is still in effect according to a comment the host made this season).

-- Don
 

·
Blasphemer: Uses DVR
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
Last night's episode is another example of what I mean about specific pop knowledge ... when it got down to 1 on 1, the poor contestants that were left were stuck with "Movies that had Rappers in them" or whatever it was. I'm sure that at least one person on a lot of the teams would probably run that category, but really ... how the hell did that guy pull "Disorderlies" out of his ass? I was amazed that I knew any of them.

I did know "Da Butt", however. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
MitchO said:
Last night's episode is another example of what I mean about specific pop knowledge ... when it got down to 1 on 1, the poor contestants that were left were stuck with "Movies that had Rappers in them" or whatever it was. I'm sure that at least one person on a lot of the teams would probably run that category, but really ... how the hell did that guy pull "Disorderlies" out of his ass? I was amazed that I knew any of them.

I did know "Da Butt", however. :D
I knew immediately that Disorderlies was the answer to that question. That movie aired incessantly on HBO in the late '80s.
 

·
Blasphemer: Uses DVR
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
Was it just me, or was last night's Fragilay/Chupacabra the worst matchup of any episode in two seasons? And that's the defending champs. I can understand not remembering the name of the Chamillionaire song (I couldn't, I could name the Weird Al song and the original artist), but LOLA?! And don't get me started on how iconic it is to know all of Rocky's opponents. I haven't even seen V or VI and I knew Tommy Gun and Mason Dixon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,106 Posts
FilmCritic3000 said:
I knew immediately that Disorderlies was the answer to that question. That movie aired incessantly on HBO in the late '80s.
Totally agree. Plus, Disorderlies seems like a movie that was so bad that you should know it just for that fact. The girlfriend knew the answer too, and she's not really a pop culture whiz.

Is there a rule that says every person for a team must participate? It seems like they're choosing who goes before each round, so is there a rule that says all 3 players must answer questions?
 

·
Thrice as nice
Joined
·
10,914 Posts
serumgard said:
Totally agree. Plus, Disorderlies seems like a movie that was so bad that you should know it just for that fact. The girlfriend knew the answer too, and she's not really a pop culture whiz.

Is there a rule that says every person for a team must participate? It seems like they're choosing who goes before each round, so is there a rule that says all 3 players must answer questions?
I don't think so. In the first episode, didn't a team sweep without one of their players competing (the team with the blue bowling shirts)? The only rule was that a player couldn't go up twice in a row. So after you lose your first player, there is no advantage on picking the best player for the category.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
MitchO said:
Was it just me, or was last night's Fragilay/Chupacabra the worst matchup of any episode in two seasons? And that's the defending champs. I can understand not remembering the name of the Chamillionaire song (I couldn't, I could name the Weird Al song and the original artist), but LOLA?! And don't get me started on how iconic it is to know all of Rocky's opponents. I haven't even seen V or VI and I knew Tommy Gun and Mason Dixon.
Thank you! I was yelling at my television!

Where'd they get these people? Did they just grab six people loitering outside the studio before the taping? Last season actually seemed to have pop culture geeks; so far this season's been awfully lacking in that regard, and it's made for a less enjoyable watch, IMHO.
 

·
Now with more GB
Joined
·
3,529 Posts
FilmCritic3000 said:
Thank you! I was yelling at my television!

Where'd they get these people? Did they just grab six people loitering outside the studio before the taping? Last season actually seemed to have pop culture geeks; so far this season's been awfully lacking in that regard, and it's made for a less enjoyable watch, IMHO.
Keep in mind that not everybody on each team is an expert in each category. How many people can name all of Rocky's opponents and the names of the characters on Lost whose actors are named in the opening credits (both of which have been tiebreakers this season)? If the first two rounds are split, then the fourth round is going to involve two players who were forced to be there (whoever lost the third round is down to one; whoever won only has two, one of which was in the third round and so can't be in the fourth).

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of seeding involved, and El Chupacabra, being the defending champions, was fed what the producers thought was a cream puff (seemingly forgetting that EC would have lost in the semi-finals last year had an opponent known, or the one male on EC not known, what Hank sells on King of the Hill).

Speaking of the Rocky question, there were some possible answers they left out; at the beginning of Rocky III, they show Rocky defending his title against what turned out to be "hand-picked" challengers, and at the beginning of the first film, didn't they show Rocky losing to a club fighter (who was named when they paid them after the fight)?

-- Don
 

·
All better
Joined
·
17,353 Posts
Hey I went to an audition and did the online tests for Almost Perfect Strangers 2.0 and the questions on those are incredibly difficult. The ones on the show they ask are a cake walk compared to those. My only idea is when you are standing up there with a spotlight it probably gets 10x harder to remember stuff.

Oh and the lady not wanting to say...Brass Balls!?! what a dumba$$.
 

·
Now with more GB
Joined
·
3,529 Posts
mwhip said:
Hey I went to an audition and did the online tests for Almost Perfect Strangers 2.0 and the questions on those are incredibly difficult. The ones on the show they ask are a cake walk compared to those. My only idea is when you are standing up there with a spotlight it probably gets 10x harder to remember stuff.

Oh and the lady not wanting to say...Brass Balls!?! what a dumba$$.
I was surprised they asked a question where the answer included one of the "seven words you're not allowed to say on TV".

As for the qualifying test being tougher than what airs, this tends to be a trend on TV game shows; they don't want to make the questions so tough that the people at home won't know a reasonable number of the answers. (There was a story years ago about how Jeopardy! had to "dumb down the questions"; in fact, in the 1980s, Sale of the Century did the same thing.)

-- Don
 

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
Joined
·
62,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
"The next category is 'Those Talented Baldwin Brothers.' All of the questions in this category are about Alec Baldwin."

:D :D :D
 

·
All better
Joined
·
17,353 Posts
That Don Guy said:
I was surprised they asked a question where the answer included one of the "seven words you're not allowed to say on TV".
I would not have cared that would be their problem to bleep my answers. :D
 

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
Joined
·
62,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
mwhip said:
I would not have cared that would be their problem to bleep my answers. :D
Like they did with Sugart!ts? ;)

I was really surprised she was hesitant to say "Balls." It's not like the word by itself is a bad word.
 

·
Blasphemer: Uses DVR
Joined
·
1,549 Posts
That Don Guy said:
Keep in mind that not everybody on each team is an expert in each category. How many people can name all of Rocky's opponents and the names of the characters on Lost whose actors are named in the opening credits (both of which have been tiebreakers this season)? If the first two rounds are split, then the fourth round is going to involve two players who were forced to be there (whoever lost the third round is down to one; whoever won only has two, one of which was in the third round and so can't be in the fourth).
Actually I knew all six of Rocky's opponents, and was able to name 15 of the 16 characters (I had forgotten "Edward"s last name). However, your point is valid because, for example, I only knew 4 or 5 of the African American Oscar winners (and funnily enough, Sydney Poitier was one of the ones I knew). Even the African American guy at the end said that that was a little unfair, and he'd be in big trouble if he couldn't name them all, lol.

That Don Guy said:
Speaking of the Rocky question, there were some possible answers they left out; at the beginning of Rocky III, they show Rocky defending his title against what turned out to be "hand-picked" challengers, and at the beginning of the first film, didn't they show Rocky losing to a club fighter (who was named when they paid them after the fight)?
He indicated "complete" fights, including exhibitions and street brawls(which is why Hulk "Thunderlips" Hogan and Tommy Gun were on the list, you see the whole fight).
 

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
Joined
·
62,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Tonight's episode had a historic (in terms of this show) occurence. There was a category that ended in a 0-0 tie after all six questions. Hopefully this will teach the people who make the categories that asking questions about recent music is stupid.

I loved Pat's response during the "Au Naturel" category. He asked a question about the famous Phoebe Cates scene in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." After the answer was given, he seemed to zone out for a minute while dreaming about Phoebe. I almost wondered if he needed to go visit the bathroom. ;)
 
21 - 40 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top