TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
itstrue said:
And some of these trivia "experts' are pretty lame. "I wasn't born then"? Please.
Thank you! I was born in 1981 and I knew those lyrics were from a Prince song. During that round, I kept wondering, "How the hell did she make it this far?"

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
DevdogAZ said:
Episode 2: Man, there were some complete morons on this episode. How do you get into a pop culture trivia tournament if you get the "deer-in-the-headlights" look when you hear that your question involves Star Wars? And how do you not know what lost item Jimmy Buffet is searching for in "Margaritaville?"
Thank you. So far this round of play has been horrible, contestant-wise. Aside from the questions you mentioned...the guy didn't know the song was "Mr. Jones"? No one remembers Ferris hacking into Mr. Rooney's office to shave several absences off of his permanent record in Ferris Bueller's Day Off? So far, I have to say the contestants last year were much more knowledgeable, IMHO. I hope the teams we'll soon be seeing over the rest of the competition are more skilled.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
MitchO said:
Last night's episode is another example of what I mean about specific pop knowledge ... when it got down to 1 on 1, the poor contestants that were left were stuck with "Movies that had Rappers in them" or whatever it was. I'm sure that at least one person on a lot of the teams would probably run that category, but really ... how the hell did that guy pull "Disorderlies" out of his ass? I was amazed that I knew any of them.

I did know "Da Butt", however. :D
I knew immediately that Disorderlies was the answer to that question. That movie aired incessantly on HBO in the late '80s.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
MitchO said:
Was it just me, or was last night's Fragilay/Chupacabra the worst matchup of any episode in two seasons? And that's the defending champs. I can understand not remembering the name of the Chamillionaire song (I couldn't, I could name the Weird Al song and the original artist), but LOLA?! And don't get me started on how iconic it is to know all of Rocky's opponents. I haven't even seen V or VI and I knew Tommy Gun and Mason Dixon.
Thank you! I was yelling at my television!

Where'd they get these people? Did they just grab six people loitering outside the studio before the taping? Last season actually seemed to have pop culture geeks; so far this season's been awfully lacking in that regard, and it's made for a less enjoyable watch, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Magnolia88 said:
I finally watched this show for the first time and it was entertaining. The questions were actually harder than I thought they'd be.

That current pop music category when they both went 0 for 0 was killer. I think I knew two of the answers, but I hadn't even heard of some of those songs, even after he told us the song and artist. (T.I.? Huh?) I guess that makes me officially an "old fogey" as Lucien put it. (But I knew more than he did.)
Hey, I only knew three of those songs and I'm 25! :D

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
MitchO said:
I also rattled off 16 of the 20 Bond movies out loud without much trouble (like the guy who won, my father watched them constantly).
Yeah, the minute Pat Kiernan said what the category was, I knew that if I was on that stage, I'd ace that category, as I watched those films constantly, especially when TBS would run them in the '90s during Thanksgiving.

(For the record, my favorite Bond film is On Her Majesty's Secret Service.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.