TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched the first episode from this season. It's just as good as I remembered. Unfortunately, both of the teams that I wanted to win in the first episode went down in flames, but it's still fun to watch and play along.

In the first game, the tiebreaker question was the names of the recurring characters listed in the opening credits of the pilot episode of "LOST." They listed all the possible names after the tiebreaker was over, and there was one that I didn't recognize. I'll spoilerize it just in case someone doesn't want to know, but I'd like someone to remind me of who this character is.

Edward Mars

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're right. I had totally forgotten about that.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MitchO said:
For those who missed it, there are 17 or 18 replays over the course of the week, including a 6 hour block of the week's episodes somewhere on the weekend.
There are 8 total episodes - Mon-Thur this week, and Mon-Thur next week. There are tons of replays throughout that time, and then I noticed that all 8 episodes will be aired in a marathon on Saturday, Jul. 21st.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Episode 2: Man, there were some complete morons on this episode. How do you get into a pop culture trivia tournament if you get the "deer-in-the-headlights" look when you hear that your question involves Star Wars? And how do you not know what lost item Jimmy Buffet is searching for in "Margaritaville?"

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FilmCritic3000 said:
Thank you. So far this round of play has been horrible, contestant-wise. Aside from the questions you mentioned...the guy didn't know the song was "Mr. Jones"? No one remembers Ferris hacking into Mr. Rooney's office to shave several absences off of his permanent record in Ferris Bueller's Day Off? So far, I have to say the contestants last year were much more knowledgeable, IMHO. I hope the teams we'll soon be seeing over the rest of the competition are more skilled.
No kidding about the Ferris Bueller thing. The second Pat announced the category was about FBDO, the first thing out of my mouth was "Nine times." Then it actually was an answer to a question, and neither of them knew it! Totally lame.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
MitchO said:
Well, to be fair, I didn't remember nine times either. I think the Death Star thing was more of a pressure issue than a knowledge one.
I don't think so. He got this look as soon as he knew it was a Star Wars question, and the inflection in his answer implied that he really wasn't sure. Add to that the reaction shot of his defeated teammate, and I'm pretty sure Star Wars was a weak link for him. I just don't see how you claim to be knowledgeable about pop culture if that's the case.

I agree about the subjectivity. However, there are certain things that should be staples. Sure, the "nine times" thing is just something I've retained from that movie that others may not have, but as you said, the names of the "Beatles" should be pretty standard, as should the basic plot points of Star Wars and most 80s music. I'm sure there are tons of people who don't know the names of the "Beatles," but I'll bet you'd be hard pressed to find one of them who claims to be good at pop culture trivia.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
"The next category is 'Those Talented Baldwin Brothers.' All of the questions in this category are about Alec Baldwin."

:D :D :D

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
mwhip said:
I would not have cared that would be their problem to bleep my answers. :D
Like they did with Sugart!ts? ;)

I was really surprised she was hesitant to say "Balls." It's not like the word by itself is a bad word.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Tonight's episode had a historic (in terms of this show) occurence. There was a category that ended in a 0-0 tie after all six questions. Hopefully this will teach the people who make the categories that asking questions about recent music is stupid.

I loved Pat's response during the "Au Naturel" category. He asked a question about the famous Phoebe Cates scene in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." After the answer was given, he seemed to zone out for a minute while dreaming about Phoebe. I almost wondered if he needed to go visit the bathroom. ;)

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
MitchO said:
For the record, not only did I not know any of the 2006 music questions, but I've only HEARD of two of the songs. :p
I also didn't know any of the answers, and had only heard of a couple of the songs. There were even a couple of artists I'd never heard of. I guess that's what happens when you only listen to talk radio. ;)

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
MrGreg said:
Yeah, that 2006 music category was painful. Yet I knew every answer in the first round on the Weird Al category.
Funny thing was, I knew the name of "White and Nerdy" from the youtube clip posted here at TCF, but I had no idea the name of the song it parodied.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The end of the quarterfinals and first round of the semis were pretty good. The match between Motherboy and Wocka Wocka was pretty amazing, with something like 8 tiebreakers.

I've always thought of myself as a bit of a pop culture trivia geek, but I really got humbled in this episode. When they were naming the actors in 2005's "Crash," I didn't remember any of them. I must not have known anything about that movie because every time they named another actor, it was one that I never would have placed in that movie. Then the same thing happened with "The Big Chill." I never saw that one either, and didn't expect any of those names that were said.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
MitchO said:
My problem with Crash is that I get the two (the good one with everyone and the bad one with James Spader in it) confused in my head all the time, even though I know there were two separate movies.
Same. I worked at Sundance when that movie was coming out and they did a pre-release screening that I worked the party for. Now that's the movie that always comes to mind when I hear "Crash."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.