TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
My wife and I really enjoy playing along with this show. I have a really hard time with the music ones. Either I can't recall the actual name of the song, or I can't get the tune right to sing it in my head properly.

Saying that, I still can't believe how dumb that girl was who said "I was only 2." That's really no excuse for not knowing 80's music on a pop culture quiz. And if that was going to be her excuse, why did they send her up?

In any case, great show. I'm really glad that I never deleted my SP after last season, otherwise I might have missed this.

·
Registered
759 Posts
That Don Guy said:
Speaking of pop culture, did anyone else notice last season that there seems to be a narrow definition of the term? (For example, music questions seem to be limited to rock, pop, and rap/hip-hop; the one time they asked a country music question, the audience reacted as if the question was out of place.)

-- Don
Country music is not "pop" music save for a few exceptions. It's only fairly recently that Country music has really broken into popular culture. If you look at the list of top album sales for the past 30 years, you'll see a very small percentage of Country albums breaking the top 20. Rap/hip-hop and R&B started their ascent to the top a little earlier which would explain why it is more prevalent in the questions. Although 90% of the music questions are indeed "pop music" related. And I haven't seen a single one regarding rock music.

·
Registered
759 Posts
DevdogAZ said:
I've always thought of myself as a bit of a pop culture trivia geek, but I really got humbled in this episode. When they were naming the actors in 2005's "Crash," I didn't remember any of them. I must not have known anything about that movie because every time they named another actor, it was one that I never would have placed in that movie. Then the same thing happened with "The Big Chill." I never saw that one either, and didn't expect any of those names that were said.
Same here. I'm not really in the same league as the guys on this show, but I can usually hold my own when it comes down to pop culture trivia. But I only knew a couple of names from "Crash" and couldn't think of a single person in "The Big Chill." I also ran out of Bond films after about 6. This was the most humbling episode to date, not counting the 2006 pop songs category.

Heck, I couldn't even get a single one of "The Karate Kid" questions whereas my wife swept the category. The only time that ever happens is when the questions are about American Idol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.