TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Pass the gravy!
10,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like it all ends 5/18. Though I haven't really gotten into the show this year it has been brilliant over the years. Farewell!

Link to Comingsoon.net article.

That '70s Show Series Finale on May 18
Source: FOX
January 17, 2006

That '70s Show packs up the polyester bellbottoms, Zeppelin 8-tracks and lava lamps when it ends its eight-season run Thursday, May 18 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. The series finale also marks the 200th episode milestone.

That '70s Show premiered on Aug. 23, 1998. Set in Point Place, Wisconsin, the series follows a group of friends who get by with a little help from each other. The show stars Mila Kunis, Danny Masterson, Laura Prepon, Wilmer Valderrama, Kurtwood Smith, Debra Jo Rupp, Josh Meyers, Don Stark and Tommy Chong. For seasons one through seven, Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher were also regular cast members.

The series created some signature elements that made it a hit over the years, including the surreal dream sequences, the 360-degree basement scenes and the classic '70s score. Numerous '70s icons have stopped by to guest-star, including Danny Bonaduce, Alice Cooper, Marion Ross, Eve Plumb, Ted Nugent, Valerie Harper and Roger Daltrey from The Who. This season, Don Knotts, Mary Tyler Moore Tom Bosley and Isaac Hayes are joining the list. Additionally, Luke Wilson, Lindsay Lohan, Bruce Willis, Brooke Shields, Seth Green and Jessica Simpson have also guest-starred.

"The reason 'That '70s Show' has been such a smash hit is due to the talent: the actors, the writers, the director, and everybody else who helped make each episode so groovy," said executive producer Tom Werner. "Has it really been eight years?"

"'That '70s Show' is one of our longest-running hit comedies," said Peter Liguori, President, Entertainment for FOX. "The show's success is definitely a testament to the creativity and dedication put forth each week by the talented cast, outstanding writers and producers, and the great crew. There are a lot of things about the '70s we'd like to forget - especially those involving polyester - but this series has been a wonderful look back at this most memorable decade."

That '70s Show is a Carsey-Werner production created by Bonnie Turner, Terry Turner and Mark Brazill. Marcy Carsey, Tom Werner, Dean Batali, Rob DesHotel and Mark Hudis are executive producers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I never understood why they tried to keep the show around with Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher leaving. I've been watching it this year just because I've been watching it for so many years. It's been OK, but just not the same without Eric and Kelso.

Rob

·
Registered
241 Posts
I haven't really gotten any 70s Show recordings in a while. I did get some for the new season, but its not on every week. I know it started late, and then there was the typical hiatus over the holidays. Is it back on again?

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
I love watching older episodes-they are the best. I haven't watched this season-not opposed to it, just haven't stumbled across it. Not sure why. Must be sure to watch finale. Will the whole gang come back together?

Sidenote: Redd looks and acts so much like my best friends dad, it's uncanny. Her sister went to a charity thing in Louisville this past spring, met the guy that plays Redd and had her picture taken with him. It's the greatest.

·
Menace to society
1,681 Posts
I agree with sschwart. It was a great show but it's time to let it go. The show isn't as good without Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher. It's time for them to grow up and be adults. And that's a show I don't want to watch.

·
I'm Grumpy???
776 Posts
Thom said:
It was Donna's blonde hair that killed it! :D
I would have to disagree with that! :D

I was sure that once Topper left, it wouldn't last long.
The show was really all about his character.
And afterall,
FOX wanted to kill it after 1 season, until it won an Emmy that same year.
Hasn't won anything (except fans) since. :( AFAIK, which isn't much.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are two reasons why this show had to end soon:
1) The main character (Eric) leaves the show. Duh!
2) This show had a built in deadline. It's called "That 70's Show" which means that it takes place in the 70's. Also, by basing it on kids, especially teenagers, there are certain timeline events that occur that force the characters to split apart. The only way to get around this is to separate themselves from the calendar. They have no 'kids' that will age too fast for them to get away with this like the Cosby kids. They should have 'slowed' time. Not as drastically as 24, but if they make the calendar fairly genaric, then they don't have to worry about normal milestones (like graduating from school) having to occur.

·
Mmm...invisible cola
4,336 Posts
Kelso has been on a few episodes this season - I think he agreed to appear on 5 or 6 episodes total for the season.

I hope Eric comes back from Africa for one final circle! Hey Hyde! It's 4:19. Got a minute?

·
No Pop Culture Here.
191 Posts
It's good to see it go... it wasn't this season that it started going downhill, last couple... anytime a new character is brought in, it can't be good news. I do think the timeline has hit the 80s though, since the last 4 years have been in 79, I believe...

I remember at the beginning of the season, the actor playing Fez trying to con everyone by saying "this is the best season ever" in interviews. But I knew better.

Biggest thing is the finale will mark episode 200, i believe. The show has been running for syndication, just like Malcolm, which just happens to be canned at the end of the year as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.