TiVo Community Forum banner
121 - 140 of 273 Posts

· Registered
16,251 Posts
I didn't get a chance to catch up with Ted until this week. The bad thing is that I had already read an interview last week from Nick Mohammed addressing his transformation into a heel so the dark turn this episode wasn't a surprise.

And I knew Ted wasn't the type to quote modernist poets so Sam being the anonymous admirer makes more sense. :)

· Registered
3,610 Posts
Well, well, well. The story of three holes in the ground.

So they went there after all. Bet you it'll end up circling back to the boycott story line and how Rebecca refused to cut Sam from the team. That part appears pretty obvious. The interesting part will be how they handle her response.

· Excellent.
24,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Got awfully dusty at my house when Roy Kent hugged Jamie Tartt...
That's a great example, I think, of the care the show usually takes in setting things up. The side story at the top with Roy and Phoebe, which was mostly light comedy, may have seemed an odd thing to include in an already very-long episode with a lot more serious stuff on its mind. But it, and especially Roy's kind of devastating comment that he was worried he was transferring all his worst qualities to Phoebe, was completely needed to for Roy to understand exactly the damage Jamie's dad had done (and was still doing) to him, and that authority figures can do to others generally. Without that setup, the hug would have been nice I guess, but completely inexplicable coming from Roy at all, much less to Jamie. Throw in the Phoebe context though, and it makes sense entirely (and is a more emotional moment).

Also notable that it was that it was Roy and Beard who took all the action there, while Ted looked on frozen. Of course, Ted was reliving his own father trauma that rendered him a statue, as we were about to learn.

· All About Footwork
29,905 Posts
It was a nice moment but an "only in the movies" one. In a real locker room, Jamie would've dismissed anyone who tried to get close to him. Oh well. Like I said, it was a nice moment.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,424 Posts
Got awfully dusty at my house when Roy Kent hugged Jamie Tartt...
Yes, very much this.
That's a great example, I think, of the care the show usually takes in setting things up. The side story at the top with Roy and Phoebe, which was mostly light comedy, may have seemed an odd thing to include in an already very-long episode with a lot more serious stuff on its mind. But it, and especially Roy's kind of devastating comment that he was worried he was transferring all his worst qualities to Phoebe, was completely needed to for Roy to understand exactly the damage Jamie's dad had done (and was still doing) to him, and that authority figures can do to others generally. Without that setup, the hug would have been nice I guess, but completely inexplicable coming from Roy at all, much less to Jamie. Throw in the Phoebe context though, and it makes sense entirely (and is a more emotional moment).
Funny thing, I was unable to finish the episode when I first started. So when I was watching the end, and it got dusty during the Roy/Jamie hug, I didn't think of the opening scene with Roy and Phoebe at all. In fact, I didn't connect the two until I read your post. But I still clearly felt the emotion they were trying to convey.

(My take away from that opening scene was that the teacher was clearly enamored with Roy and wondered if that was a foreshadowing of something to come.)

· Registered
12,632 Posts
This hit me this week. This is not the first series centered on a sports team but it is the first (?) successful one. There is a pitfall on making a show maintainable with sports because you have to define the winning level and not get stuck in the miracle run to a championship that means the show ends. Ted Lasso has managed to walk the line so very well.

· Registered
213 Posts
This hit me this week. This is not the first series centered on a sports team but it is the first (?) successful one. There is a pitfall on making a show maintainable with sports because you have to define the winning level and not get stuck in the miracle run to a championship that means the show ends. Ted Lasso has managed to walk the line so very well.
Friday Night Lights had plenty of ups and downs during its run.

· Registered
3,052 Posts
You obviously never watched Friday Night Lights. Show centers around the team, but it's more about the ups and downs of the characters than "winning".

· Registered
12,632 Posts
You obviously never watched Friday Night Lights. Show centers around the team, but it's more about the ups and downs of the characters than "winning".
I saw Friday night lights as being about the town not the team after the first season.

But that is why I put the question mark. It's a matter of opinion and even if you count FNL, it is a very small percentage that works.

· Seasoned gas passer
12,207 Posts
I saw Friday night lights as being about the town not the team after the first season.

But that is why I put the question mark. It's a matter of opinion and even if you count FNL, it is a very small percentage that works.
Not at all, in my opinion (based on my admittedly fading memory of the series). There was a lot of character development in that series.

121 - 140 of 273 Posts