TiVo Community Forum banner
261 - 273 of 273 Posts

·
witless and unarmed
16,773 Posts
Finally watched season 2. I think my enthusiasm for the show has waned a bit, maybe the novelty wore off, but I found myself getting distracted by my phone quite a bit.

Things I liked:
  • Rebecca and Sam: Love seeing the opposite of what we usually do (older man, younger woman) and I think by having them meet and bond on an anonymous dating app first it helps alleviate some of the concerns around office power dynamics. They are too cute
  • Everything Sam: Maybe should have started here but I really enjoyed Sam's character and stories this season, from the Dubai Air sponsorshop to deciding if he was going to leave the team.
    • And of course this allowed for maybe the funniest scene the whole show, Afuko's reaction to Sam turning him down. Sam Richardson is a comedic genius, perfect casting for that role, and played that scene perfectly - epic!
  • Girls bonding: Rebecca and Keely as best friends, Rebecca with her goddaughter, Rebecca and her mom, Rebecca and her friend, all of it was great. (Maybe the common theme is that anything with Rebecca is great)
  • Dr Sharon: Great character, underused!
Things I liked less
  • The episode lengths - I think a lot of the reason the show doesn't feel as funny or as poignant is that the runtimes are too long. It was fine in season 1 when the show was a novelty, but if they had the constraints of runtime I think they'd be a lot punchier. The Beard standalone episode could have been good but was just too long.
  • Ted's anxiety - too obvious where it was going and took too long to get there and mostly cheated us out of seeing the work put in via the therapy sessions. It felt like character development on paper but it didn't feel like actual character development
  • Nate's story - too dark and not earned
  • Keely and Roy verging on break-up: Feels cheap and lazy for the writers to do this - it is possible to have a couple get together and stay together and be funny and entertaining without threatening break-ups (see: Parks & Rec, Brooklyn 99, others I'm sure). There hasn't been anything earned about their relationship troubles - Roy is a really supportive boyfriend, Keely is a supportive girlfriend, they lift each other up, and there is a ton of sexual chemistry.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,215 Posts
RE Keely and Roy: Maybe the point is that even with all that going for them as a couple, sometimes you discover that it's not what you want and it still doesn't work out. And that's OK.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
5,215 Posts
Or maybe, it will end up being that even the best relationships are tested and they decide to re-commit to each other anyway.

·
Excellent.
23,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
While we wait for season three (which may be a while), there is this:

I don’t game, but this strikes me as a clever bit of promotion.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
While we wait for season three (which may be a while), there is this:

I saw this too. Are they going to include the McIleney / Reynolds team as well (Wrexit or something like that from their FX Documentary)? That would be fun. I have had a few seasons of FIFA soccer over the years. I don't generally watch soccer but the FIFA game is fun to play. But it would be fun to play with Richmond AFC, so I might wind up buying it.

·
Lets go Bengals!!!!!
2,003 Posts
I saw this too. Are they going to include the McIleney / Reynolds team as well (Wrexit or something like that from their FX Documentary)? That would be fun. I have had a few seasons of FIFA soccer over the years. I don't generally watch soccer but the FIFA game is fun to play. But it would be fun to play with Richmond AFC, so I might wind up buying it.
Wrexham

·
Now with flavor!
2,245 Posts
It's kinda standard really. Not the primary marketing thrust that's for sure, but aimed at collecting the outliers.

Top Gun Maverick had promotional content/DLC tie-ins in at least three different video games a few months ago.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
Unlikely they'd include Wrexham, as that's a real team in a much lower British football league. If they started including lower-tier teams like that, they'd probably have a revolt if they didn't include all other teams at the same and higher levels, which would probably require adding 100+ lower-tier teams to the game.

·
Notable Member
117,699 Posts
261 - 273 of 273 Posts