TiVo Community Forum banner
241 - 260 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
From Britannica.com

Linguistically creative students at the University of Oxford in the 1880s distinguished between the sports of “rugger” (rugby football) and “assoccer” (association football). The latter term was further shortened to “soccer” (sometimes spelled “socker”), and the name quickly spread beyond the campus. However, “soccer” never became much more than a nickname in Great Britain.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts

·
204 No Content
Custom Title 2
35,670 Posts
Thanks. I've been corrected more than once that it's NOT soccer, but football, so that's why I was surprised to see that.
"Soccer" does tend to linger in the vocabulary, and get back-imported as well. I was a little surprised to hear my extremely British sister-in-law refer to a suburb of London as "all IT professionals and their soccer mum wives".

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
"Soccer" does tend to linger in the vocabulary, and get back-imported as well. I was a little surprised to hear my extremely British sister-in-law refer to a suburb of London as "all IT professionals and their soccer mum wives".
So I'm getting the feeling that soccer is used as slang for football in the same way that "hoops" is used as slang for basketball. Does that make sense?

·
Excellent.
23,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
The Hollywood Reporter's TV podcast, TV's Top Five, did an extended interview with Bill Lawrence a few weeks back. Lawrence is a terrific interviewee because he's candid, conversational, relaxed, curious, and funny. In it, they ask about and he discusses many of the things that have come up in this thread from season two. For example, he said they knew full well how serious Trent Crimm burning Nate was when they wrote it, but they did so knowing not only that they would have Trent quit the next episode, but that (minor spoiler) Trent will be around next season and this is all part of his arc. As always with this show, it pays to be patient.

Anyway, check out the podcast episode for the interview. It's really good.

Apple podcasts link: ‎TV's Top 5 on Apple Podcasts

·
Seasoned gas passer
13,027 Posts
I used to be a reporter, and, I can tell you that what Trent did (revealing his source) would be sacrilege IF he remained on the job or as a reporter in some form. Yes, he has quit, but it remains to be seen if he is still a reporter is some form. If so, then yes, totally unbelievable. If not, I can certainly understand it.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
The Hollywood Reporter's TV podcast, TV's Top Five, did an extended interview with Bill Lawrence a few weeks back. Lawrence is a terrific interviewee because he's candid, conversational, relaxed, curious, and funny. In it, they ask about and he discusses many of the things that have come up in this thread from season two. For example, he said they knew full well how serious Trent Crimm burning Nate was when they wrote it, but they did so knowing not only that they would have Trent quit the next episode, but that (minor spoiler) Trent will be around next season and this is all part of his arc. As always with this show, it pays to be patient.

Anyway, check out the podcast episode for the interview. It's really good.

Apple podcasts link: ‎TV's Top 5 on Apple Podcasts
Speculation here, but I think Trent will take Keeley's spot as team publicist as Keeley is moving on. Trent / Ted moments are always interesting and fun, so I can see them playing off that.

·
All About Footwork
32,298 Posts
Speculation here, but I think Trent will take Keeley's spot as team publicist as Keeley is moving on. Trent / Ted moments are always interesting and fun, so I can see them playing off that.
I came here to post exactly that. You beat me to it!

Reactions: Hank and Steveknj

·
Excellent.
23,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
I do wonder why they showed Trent locked out of his car in his scene in the finale. Outside of some ribbing about his de facto tagline, "...the Independent", they've pretty laboriously respected his gravitas. It was unusual having that beat of him suffering a common indignity. I wonder if that was deliberate, getting us ready for whatever's in store for him next season.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
The thing I didn't understand about it being a big emotional thing for Keeley to leave the team - Wouldn't it make sense for Rebecca to hire her new firm as the team's PR firm? So Keeley would continue to work with the team, just as a third-party PR rather than in house.
I do wonder why they showed Trent locked out of his car in his scene in the finale. Outside of some ribbing about his de facto tagline, "...the Independent", they've pretty laboriously respected his gravitas. It was unusual having that beat of him suffering a common indignity. I wonder if that was deliberate, getting us ready for whatever's in store for him next season.
Maybe that was to show how out of sorts he was after blowing up his career and now being a bit lost as to where his life is going.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
The thing I didn't understand about it being a big emotional thing for Keeley to leave the team - Wouldn't it make sense for Rebecca to hire her new firm as the team's PR firm? So Keeley would continue to work with the team, just as a third-party PR rather than in house.
It would still be emotional as it is big growth for Keely and she wouldn't be as involved but that's what I thought would happen. Rebecca would just outsource PR to the new firm.

·
I am Spartacus!
28,560 Posts
I am having so much fun with Ted Lasso.
I made a friend of mine sit down and watch the first episode and he is hooked. We are watching them about one every other day (I had already seen season one) and we just got into season two. I haven't read anything here, just posting at the end.
I am great at totally forgetting spoilers so all that I have heard about Nasty Nate is sort of a blur. We just finished the Christmas episode and had to play it twice because we were laughing so much the first time.
What a great show!
I saw a clip with Jason and Jimmy Kimmel (?) and he said that season two is like Empire Strikes Back. That gives me hope for season three.

241 - 260 of 273 Posts