TiVo Community Forum banner
221 - 240 of 273 Posts

·
Lets go Bengals!!!!!
2,003 Posts
I've kept telling my cousin how great the show was and she kept saying she would get to it. Last Saturday I shared my subscription with her and she watched both seasons since then. It is now one of her favorite shows. She also called Nate a b*tch.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Nate's explanation seemed pretty weak. I guess Nate expected Ted to dote on him every day? Lame. I am guessing there will be redemption at some point next season unless they decide to continue beyond season 3 so they can have more storylines. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the episode/season.
Nate's explanation were words from someone too damaged for a Ted Lasso induced recovery. Feel good just isn't going to cut it.

Nate has lost his grip on reality. It's too much for this show IMO.

It's like changing hair symbolizes this Nate comes from a parallel universe. Like the Star Trek one with the evil Kirk and Spock.

Maybe this isn't our Nate.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I really enjoyed this season with the exception of the coach Beard(?) episode.
That was due to the classic network butting in when they should leave well enough alone. Apple insisted on two additional episodes, so they created the Christmas and "Beard After Hours" standalone episodes. Although I admit, I did like the Christmas episode, but I'm a sucker for holiday shows lol

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
I risked seeing spoilers (I am only about half way through the season), but I HAD to comment on the Christmas episode. I'm not even Christian and I LOVED that episode. Maybe the best Christmas episode I've ever seen on TV. My wife doesn't usually watch this with me and she loved it as well. EVERY story thread was great. This along with "Christmas in Canada" South Park episode will have to become a yearly watch during the holiday season. Loved all the rom-com references. Also, is Secret Santa not a thing in the UK? Some of them seemed surprised by the tradition.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I risked seeing spoilers (I am only about half way through the season), but I HAD to comment on the Christmas episode. I'm not even Christian and I LOVED that episode. Maybe the best Christmas episode I've ever seen on TV. My wife doesn't usually watch this with me and she loved it as well. EVERY story thread was great. This along with "Christmas in Canada" South Park episode will have to become a yearly watch during the holiday season. Loved all the rom-com references. Also, is Secret Santa not a thing in the UK? Some of them seemed surprised by the tradition.
I agree... said that the day or two after it aired.... I'm about the most "Bah Humbug" type of guy around and I loved that episode. I also found the Coach Beard episode fun, for what it is. Obviously they did not fall in the story arcs, and once I heard the explanation for their being, it was all fine with me.

Personally, I considered both of these episodes "bonuses."

·
Premium Member
58,076 Posts
Also, it's an anxiety attack by a football coach, not the Pentagon Papers

-smak-
Still, no way any journalist, especially Trent Crimm, The Independent, would burn a source, under any circumstance and no matter what the story is about. But they fixed it. The only possible way is that if Trent Crimm, The Independent, decided he wanted to blow up his career and never be a journalist again. There were other issues there that they showed the written, typeset, published story to Ted before getting a comment from him. But that I can say "that's TV".

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
I am disapponted in this season.

What made Ted Lasso great was it was a feel good comedy that didn't bog us down with drama. Why all the dark personal arcs and network like personal relationships now?

Ted Lasso was a comedy about an team coming together in an unconventional way. What is it now? I know current trends are comedys that aren't really funny, but does this remotely seem like an "outstanding comedy series" anymore?

It's like they changed a hugely successful series after one season. It's not the same show. I know there are fans in the thread that would love the show just hearing Ted saying anything, but humor has become thin.

And why is Higgins who is the best background character on the show, seem to be the only one without an expanded role?
I respectfully disagree. Like you said, the trend is comedy is the write shows that are dark and not really funny. Ted Lasso managed to have some really dark moments, yet maintain it's quirky funniness. Sure there were a couple of episodes where it was MUCH more dark than funny (the Coach Beard episode), but overall, this show, to me, still had an interesting mix of being really funny, and yet, do deep dives into these complex characters. A show where Ted Lasso is overly optimistic every episode and Roy curses constantly, would get very boring, very quickly. And there were plenty of feel good moments which kept up with the spirit of the show. But that's just me. And I'm one who generally hates this dark turn we've gone through with everything on TV, comedies AND dramas. Give me more Ted please!

·
Happily Vaccinated!
63,729 Posts
Surprisingly little about the finale here. So all the speculation about Nate and Rebecca's ex is true. The ex buys West Ham and hires Nate to coach (though it's unclear to me if he's the HEAD coach). I didn't like where the Nate character went this year, because I never felt that he could be anything more than an assistant or strategist. I know they made a big deal of him coming out of his shell for a few episodes, but I didn't think he'd go total jerk the way he did, giving Ted no respect when after all it was Ted who's responsible for his career in many respects and it was Ted who stuck with his strategy during the last match when others said it was time to try something else. Just seemed too out of character for Nate to be that way. It looks like Keeley and Roy are indeed going to stay a couple and I'm fine with that. I expect they will write a new love interest for Jamie next season. I thought Ted and Sharon had great chemistry and was sad to see her go. I thought (though maybe obvious) that they could have become a couple. And the Rebecca/Sam thing, also seemed a bit out of left field, but in the end I knew he was going to stay, though not quite sure if the reason was because of Rebecca or just because he felt it was better for his career (and really, playing in the EPL is probably a good career move for a soccer player, no?)

One thing I wanted to ask about but was waiting for the season to be over. The panel show that they show every week (the one that Roy was on for a bit) is called something like "Soccer Today". Do they call it "soccer" at all in Britain? I thought it was strictly "football".

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
62,319 Posts
One thing I wanted to ask about but was waiting for the season to be over. The panel show that they show every week (the one that Roy was on for a bit) is called something like "Soccer Today". Do they call it "soccer" at all in Britain? I thought it was strictly "football".
Soccer Saturday - Wikipedia

In the list of "reporters" who have appeared on the program, Roy Kent is one of the names. :D

221 - 240 of 273 Posts