TiVo Community Forum banner
201 - 220 of 273 Posts

·
Excellent.
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
I can let that go. It's a means to an end, narratively. My main disappointment is that it had be Trent Crimm (The Independent). He's a good journalist!

It was obvious this sort of thing was coming. We had that random small scene several episodes back, when Crimm saw Ted at the pub, and asked him to comment on the report he had left the game due to food poisoning. We knew at the time that scene was not there by accident, and that Trent presumably would eventually learn the truth. Given Nate's arc this season, it was probably predictable that Nate would snitch. Although he has been more generally angry than angry at Ted specifically; that was a bit of a new wrinkle this episode. So maybe not entirely predictable, but in hindsight, the dots were all there to be connected.

Has anyone else noticed how grey Nate's hair has gotten? I checked some recent photos of Nick Mohammed and it's not his natural look, unless he is coloring his hair away from the show. I wonder if it's supposed to be a sign of just how much Nate is roiled inside.

·
Deregistered Snoozer
4,939 Posts
I was shocked that Trent disclosed his source as well. I mean I literally gasped. Then I wondered: maybe things like that aren't so completely taboo for UK journalists as they are (at least are supposed to be) for US journalists.

I had to laugh a bit when Nate came out in the suit that Keeley loved: he was dressed exactly like Roy.

I said above and I'll say it again: if they screw up the Roy/Keeley relationship I will be very bummed.

·
I'm Feeling Blue
303 Posts
I thought this episode was a great return to form for Ted Lasso after the previous three, two of which were average and the other unspeakably poor (for me, anyway). Yes, the reveal at the end was a bit clunky and unrealistic, but then if we're going to start insisting on realism we've got an awful lot to discuss here, don't we?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I didn't understand the thing near the end with Sharon's beer and Goodbye note.
Was Ted still upset about Sharon just leaving?
Or was it meant to be a funny joke for her?

·
Excellent.
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
I
I said above and I'll say it again: if they screw up the Roy/Keeley relationship I will be very bummed.
The show has earned trust in the writing staff that they have carefully considered the plot points they choose to go with, but if I were going to have doubt, this is a place where I'd have it. The show has spent the entire last season-plus both telling and showing us what a perfect pairing they are, with deep understanding and trust, so I just didn't buy the implication at the end that they might be in some trouble. If we see them having a struggle in the next episode, it will have been entirely fabricated, and unearned. Maybe all that was for some other purpose... I have to hope so.

One other place I'm disappointed, as I'm on the subject, is the handling of Rebecca and Sam. That's not a relationship I particularly care for, but it doesn't bother me that the show is trying it so much as its willful blind eye to how hugely unfair the power imbalance is to Sam. We've had exactly one line, from Rebecca when she realized she had arrived at the restaurant to meet Sam, that it was a bad idea because she is his boss. From there it has been not only roundly ignored, everybody else is so encouraging of the relationship that the show has implicitly said there's no problem here. When she showed up at his place and said, "I can't tell you to stay, but I hope you do," I just thought "that's some BS right there". It bugs me that the show has not grappled with this even in the slightest.

·
All About Footwork
29,775 Posts
I know it's a TV show. But journalists will not bring their sources like that. Under any circumstances.

especially trench cream of independence

(that's how Siri heard it and that's how I'm leaving it)
I'm totally with you there. First, there's no way a journalist would. Second, he's not from a fly-by-night operation; this is The Independent. No way he would burn his source.

·
All About Footwork
29,775 Posts
Um...not sure how to break it to you, then...Keeley still loves Jamie and Roy really likes the teacher. Roy and Keeley are about to realize that they are best buds but not lovers.

Sorry!

Reactions: Random User 7

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I am disapponted in this season.

What made Ted Lasso great was it was a feel good comedy that didn't bog us down with drama. Why all the dark personal arcs and network like personal relationships now?

Ted Lasso was a comedy about an team coming together in an unconventional way. What is it now? I know current trends are comedys that aren't really funny, but does this remotely seem like an "outstanding comedy series" anymore?

It's like they changed a hugely successful series after one season. It's not the same show. I know there are fans in the thread that would love the show just hearing Ted saying anything, but humor has become thin.

And why is Higgins who is the best background character on the show, seem to be the only one without an expanded role?

·
Deregistered Snoozer
4,939 Posts
Um...not sure how to break it to you, then...Keeley still loves Jamie and Roy really likes the teacher. Roy and Keeley are about to realize that they are best buds but not lovers.
Keeley loves Jamie : probably
Roy really likes the teacher : definitely
Roy and Keeley are best buds but not lovers : we'll see.
It's not uncommon in real life for people to still have strong feelings for former lovers and to have crushes outside of their relationship.

What made Ted Lasso great was it was a feel good comedy that didn't bog us down with drama. Why all the dark personal arcs and network like personal relationships now?
I'm afraid I can't agree with this assessment of S1. Ted Lasso is a big-hearted comedy, but it was never drama-free. Its big strength is that it's funny while not being completely trivial and superficial. The entire show has been about personal arcs and personal relationships. The impetus of the entire show is Rebecca's divorce. You may recall that Ted's divorce and first panic attack happened in S1. And there was plenty of "drama" on the team, especially between Jamie and Roy. And of course Rebecca trying to scuttle the team was a betrayal.

Maybe S1 was just better at allowing you to ignore the dramatic parts.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
"I'm afraid I can't agree with this assessment of S1. Ted Lasso is a big-hearted comedy, but it was never drama-free. Its big strength is that it's funny while not being completely trivial and superficial. The entire show has been about personal arcs and personal relationships. The impetus of the entire show is Rebecca's divorce. You may recall that Ted's divorce and first panic attack happened in S1. And there was plenty of "drama" on the team, especially between Jamie and Roy. And of course Rebecca trying to scuttle the team was a betrayal.

Maybe S1 was just better at allowing you to ignore the dramatic parts."

I never said it was drama free. I said it didn't bog us down with drama. Which is the center of the show now.

Sorry quote came out incorrectly.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
58,967 Posts
I never said it was drama free. I said it didn't bog us down with drama. Which is the center of the show now.

Sorry quote came out incorrectly.
Even light and airy sitcoms have to include some drama. Drama is how stories get told, and TV series are just a long-running story. And once you've established a bunch of characters, you've got to start expanding on them to keep the audience interested. You can't just keep all the characters at arms length and have them say a few funny lines here and there and expect the audience to keep watching. The characters are supposed to be real people, and real people experience drama.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Nate's explanation seemed pretty weak. I guess Nate expected Ted to dote on him every day? Lame. I am guessing there will be redemption at some point next season unless they decide to continue beyond season 3 so they can have more storylines. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the episode/season.

·
Incognito
4,242 Posts
Meh to the Nate storyline. Hopefully it’s just a minor part of next season. He’s compensating for the lack of love from his father with Ted and that’s just not interesting.

It was a good enough season; season 2s of great shows are never as good as great season 1s.

201 - 220 of 273 Posts