TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
And, from that rule book --

an extra ball, other object or animal enters the field of play during the match, the referee must:
  • stop play (and restart with a dropped ball) only if it interferes with play unless the ball is going into the goal and the interference does not prevent a defending player playing the ball, the goal is awarded if the ball enters the goal (even if contact was made with the ball) unless unless the interference was by the attacking team
Ummmmm, you responded to his post by quoting the exact rule that he included in his post. What's your point?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 2

I definitely liked Episode 2 better than Episode 1.

Given the conversation Ted had with Sam about not bringing Jamie back to the team, it seems very much out of character for Ted to then invite Jaimie back without at least first telling Sam. Even if it's more of a "I changed my mind and I'm the coach so this is my call" that would be fine. But during that final scene, it looked like everyone on the pitch was surprised to see Jamie there, including Coach Beard and Nate.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
Episode two thoughts:

Ted bringing Jamie back on is definitely a response to Doctor Sharon pointing out that his methods have created a great workplace that is failing in its core purpose of getting wins. At the same time, it's also completely in character for him; as he points out, not giving up on people is part of what he is about. And he also observes that Sam's comment about his father, and Jamie's comment about his terrible father, make him want to help Jamie.
Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that Ted bringing back Jamie was out of character for him. I agree that he would want to help Jamie. All I was saying is that after he had that conversation with Sam and told Same that he wasn't bringing Jamie back, and Sam felt stupid for assuming, then it's out of character for Ted to not give Sam a head's up and tell him that he'd changed his mind. The way it played out, it makes it seem (from Sam's perspective) that Ted lied to him, which is definitely out of character for Ted.
Got a big chuckle out of Rebecca sending a gift basket of bottled water to Sharon because Sharon doesn't eat sugar. A dumbfounded Keeley: "There are other things that don't have sugar!"
Yes, this exchange was brilliant.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 3 BEYOND THIS POINT!!

LED TASSO!!!!!

Doctor Sharon: And has that ever worked?

I love Nora. Hope we see more of her (and her mom!).

I was bugged at the taping over the DubaiAir logo on the jerseys. Not that they did it, but that it was obvious the tape was in a different spot in every shot. Either tape up the jersey once and use it that way through all the necessary days of filming, or get a wider roll of tape where the logo won't be peeking through one one side or the other.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
One thing I didn't really think about at the time, but now it seems like a big plot hole, is that DubaiAir has been on the team's jerseys for a while, right? So why is Sam's father only just now scolding him for promoting the company? Wouldn't the father have said something earlier? Or is he totally fine with his son wearing DubaiAir on his jersey for years, but suddenly has a problem with it if he's appearing in a separate ad for the company?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
I can see that this might be the first time his father expressed disappointment with his son’s choice to do the ad, but it seems implausible that this is the first time the father told the son that DubaiAir is owned by the company doing so much ecological damage to Nigeria. Sam seemed genuinely surprised that there was anything wrong with DubaiAir and it’s parent company, yet that seems like something that should be very well known to a Nigerian if what the father says is true.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
It could be that they just thought of this plot point in season two. :)
Yes, that's the obvious behind the scenes answer. But in the world of the show, they should have had it play out differently. For example, Sam's dad could have said that the company that has been ruining Nigeria for decades just purchased DubaiAir. Or Sam's dad could have pointed to some kind of recent expose that uncovered previously unknown info that DubaiAir has a parent company and it's . . . the company destroying Nigeria.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
Wow. I'm going to have to add this episode to my Christmas viewing list I do every year.
That was my thought as well. This episode was excellent, and will probably warrant an annual watch just because of how great it made me feel.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
On the Rom-Com episode at the end when Rebecca was on her phone messaging the guy on Bantr, the next scene showed Ted reading something on his phone smiling then put it away. Visual clue they're messaging each other without realizing it???
That's the impression I got when I watched it. So hopefully it's misdirection.

(I expect them to get together eventually, but don't want it to happen already.)

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
And Rebecca's mystery man is...Sam! :D Can't wait to see what happens!

...and I don't think that the doc is going to make it for that one drink with the team...pure speculation, so I won't spoilerize...I think that Ted is having panic attacks because he's so far away from his son, and the doc will help him leave the team and move back to the US. Since this is the last season, and all.
I thought they had confirmed it was a three season show, so there should be one more season after this, right? RIGHT?
I didn't love this episode (I still liked it, I just didn't love it) but it was saved by Rebecca wearing a hat. I don't know what it is with hats but woman are 100 times prettier to me when they're wearing a hat.
I'm not sure I'd say that women always look better in hats, but Rebecca looked amazing in that hat.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
Season two has played its plot cards much closer to the vest, with things that seem like they might be major ongoing stories, like the Dubai Air protest, not being so (at least, not yet); things that seem to be going somewhere, like Nate's increasing anger/arrogance, not apparently being major enough to support the whole season; and things that seem inevitable, like Ted needing Dr. Sharon, not really seeming to build. And though the show has only been tangentially about football and the team's fortunes, those things do matter in the world of the show, and it's not been clear exactly where the team is in its pursuit of anything.

This episode really started to play all the cards the show has been dealing this season, though. We now see the point of pushing the dating app so hard, we see (I think) bad things definitively in the offing for Nate . . .

<snip>
Interesting that you see the last couple stories focusing on Nate as indicating something bad. I thought they showed positive growth of his character. He's always been timid and shy, then Keely and Rebecca taught him to be more assertive and he used that to get his parents the window table. Then in this episode he used that newfound confidence to make a brilliant (but unorthodox and risky) coaching move that none of the other coaches would have thought of.

I'm curious what it is about the recent Nate storylines that has you thinking he's angry or arrogant and that they're foreshadowing bad things for him?

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
He seems like a boiling cauldron. He clearly has no idea how to wield the power he now has, or the extent of it. We know he's a good strategist, and we know from season one that he is capable of giving good coaching, but is he capable of being a coach? He constantly berates the new kit man, and his coaching of Colin this episode on the pitch consisted of calling him a dolt (at which point Roy stepped in and actually coached Colin, which made Nate upset). He's also acting too big for his britches, not realizing that Isaac, who was in his own head, would not welcome him trying to address it (and then Nate was hurt when the others laughed at the suggestion), and when he said he wasn't a "wunderkid", he was clearly believing he was. And we've has several shots of him in those moments looking hurt and/or angry and finding he's not automatically the man just because he's a coach. There's just too much in all that for it not to be heading somewhere.
I appreciate your reply and your analysis. I hope you're wrong, though. It doesn't seem like this show to vilify a young guy simply because he's in over his head. They had Ted do a great thing by promoting him to coach and building him up. Keely and Rebecca have helped build his confidence. It just seems like it would be cruel for everyone to be showing faith in him and helping build him up and then to have him turn out to be arrogant and unappreciative about it. Especially when he's a minority and all the people helping him are white. That would seem particularly unenlightened for the one minority person in a leadership position at AFC Richmond to turn out to be a bad guy.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
Got awfully dusty at my house when Roy Kent hugged Jamie Tartt...
Yes, very much this.
That's a great example, I think, of the care the show usually takes in setting things up. The side story at the top with Roy and Phoebe, which was mostly light comedy, may have seemed an odd thing to include in an already very-long episode with a lot more serious stuff on its mind. But it, and especially Roy's kind of devastating comment that he was worried he was transferring all his worst qualities to Phoebe, was completely needed to for Roy to understand exactly the damage Jamie's dad had done (and was still doing) to him, and that authority figures can do to others generally. Without that setup, the hug would have been nice I guess, but completely inexplicable coming from Roy at all, much less to Jamie. Throw in the Phoebe context though, and it makes sense entirely (and is a more emotional moment).
Funny thing, I was unable to finish the episode when I first started. So when I was watching the end, and it got dusty during the Roy/Jamie hug, I didn't think of the opening scene with Roy and Phoebe at all. In fact, I didn't connect the two until I read your post. But I still clearly felt the emotion they were trying to convey.

(My take away from that opening scene was that the teacher was clearly enamored with Roy and wondered if that was a foreshadowing of something to come.)

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
I never said it was drama free. I said it didn't bog us down with drama. Which is the center of the show now.

Sorry quote came out incorrectly.
Even light and airy sitcoms have to include some drama. Drama is how stories get told, and TV series are just a long-running story. And once you've established a bunch of characters, you've got to start expanding on them to keep the audience interested. You can't just keep all the characters at arms length and have them say a few funny lines here and there and expect the audience to keep watching. The characters are supposed to be real people, and real people experience drama.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,011 Posts
One thing I wanted to ask about but was waiting for the season to be over. The panel show that they show every week (the one that Roy was on for a bit) is called something like "Soccer Today". Do they call it "soccer" at all in Britain? I thought it was strictly "football".
Soccer Saturday - Wikipedia

In the list of "reporters" who have appeared on the program, Roy Kent is one of the names. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts